EVO to SL a big jump? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 09:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default EVO to SL a big jump?

Hello all. I have a Revolver actually, and I love it for what it is, however I think I need something more long, damp, and stiff. When I went out west I had a little trouble, and I think it might be because the shortness and softness of my current board.

I hear great things about the SL for being a true all mountain slayer, but was concerned it wouldn't be a big enough jump in the freeriding direction for me. I'm looking for considerable stability. I don't really go super fast or anything, but I felt like I was out of control a few times out there when I never get that feeling in the midwest.

I do mostly groomers, but I would like to get into some more powder when I travel out west, so do you guys think owning a evo/revolver and an SL/Legacy is pointless? Should I go even stiffer/damper?

Thanks
Zapatista is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2011, 12:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

What about the heritage?
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

I've looked into that as well. That's pretty much where I need guidance. For someone like me who does that majority of his riding in the Midwest would the heritage be overkill? My riding style is more laid back, not too serious(although depending on who I am with it can get a lil aggressive).

When I went out west with my 156 Revolver I feel like I had a lil trouble with stability. So I want something a lil more All-Mountain friendly, the SL seems to be a great choice but my concern is it is too much like the EVO, if I already have an EVO is it worth it to get an SL? Should I just jump to the Heritage or would the SL be good enough for what I need it for. I ride mostly groomers(due to location), but I am getting into POW more.

This board is pretty much for when I travel to bigger places, at my rinky dink hill in the Midwest, the evo is great.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

Any way you can go to a demo session they host an try them out? Or even visit a local shop and see if them have them available there. Reading stats can only get you so far on the decision you make. I'm torn between those 2 boards as well and I know as soon as the slopes are open I'm demoing both do see which one I like best.
skycdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

Hah. I wish I could demo boards. Living in Ohio makes that pretty much impossible. I already have a revolver, but I need something more freeriding friendly for when I travel. I just don't want two boards that ride too similar. The SL feels like it will fit my needs, but since I have an revolver, I feel like I'm buying the same board again.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatista View Post
I've looked into that as well. That's pretty much where I need guidance. For someone like me who does that majority of his riding in the Midwest would the heritage be overkill? My riding style is more laid back, not too serious(although depending on who I am with it can get a lil aggressive).

When I went out west with my 156 Revolver I feel like I had a lil trouble with stability. So I want something a lil more All-Mountain friendly, the SL seems to be a great choice but my concern is it is too much like the EVO, if I already have an EVO is it worth it to get an SL? Should I just jump to the Heritage or would the SL be good enough for what I need it for. I ride mostly groomers(due to location), but I am getting into POW more.

This board is pretty much for when I travel to bigger places, at my rinky dink hill in the Midwest, the evo is great.
I'm just curious, what specifically caused the instability out west? I ask because I just got an Evo and have yet to ride it. I figure it would be more stable out west because of the conditions unless you are talking about the steeper slopes, bigger cliff drops etc.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
I'm just curious, what specifically caused the instability out west? I ask because I just got an Evo and have yet to ride it. I figure it would be more stable out west because of the conditions unless you are talking about the steeper slopes, bigger cliff drops etc.
Honestly, I experienced a lil instability on blues and beyond when I started to pick up speed. Keep in mind I'm about 190 on a soft 156, so I'm pretty sure that had a lot to do with it. In the POW it was freaking amazing, but on the hardpack not so much. Again, I have ZERO issues with this board on my home mountain, but on bigger stuff I have some gripes. I'm pretty sure the SL will be great buy I just don't want something that SUPER similar to the EVO.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatista View Post
Honestly, I experienced a lil instability on blues and beyond when I started to pick up speed. Keep in mind I'm about 190 on a soft 156, so I'm pretty sure that had a lot to do with it. In the POW it was freaking amazing, but on the hardpack not so much. Again, I have ZERO issues with this board on my home mountain, but on bigger stuff I have some gripes. I'm pretty sure the SL will be great buy I just don't want something that SUPER similar to the EVO.
Well if it helps, I got rid of my SL for the Evo. I wanted something softer. The SL is amazing though, really damp, fast. I'm not a hot rod I'm a bit more conservative (can't afford to crack anything) but on the SL I felt really really confident. That said I got rid of it because I wanted something softer, more playful. I'm 140 on a 152 2012 with the blunted edges, so it should be a bit more stable for me.

I wanted the SL as a quiver killer, but now I bought the Evo to leave the door open for a more stiff/damp possibly pow board. The SL did get tossed around a bit on spring push mounds. It did not exactly plow through them. Could be due to my lighter weight (I was closer to 150 then, on a 151cm) not sure.

But with the Evo as my first board, my next board will be something more aggressive.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
Well if it helps, I got rid of my SL for the Evo. I wanted something softer. The SL is amazing though, really damp, fast. I'm not a hot rod I'm a bit more conservative (can't afford to crack anything) but on the SL I felt really really confident. That said I got rid of it because I wanted something softer, more playful. I'm 140 on a 152 2012 with the blunted edges, so it should be a bit more stable for me.

I wanted the SL as a quiver killer, but now I bought the Evo to leave the door open for a more stiff/damp possibly pow board. The SL did get tossed around a bit on spring push mounds. It did not exactly plow through them. Could be due to my lighter weight (I was closer to 150 then, on a 151cm) not sure.

But with the Evo as my first board, my next board will be something more aggressive.
We are in similar situations it appears. I already have the EVO/revolver and I'm reluctant to get the SL because it might not a big enough jump into the free-riding arena. Like you, I don't hot rod everywhere but I got an uneasy feeling out west when I started picking up steam. I think the SL will provide what I need, but since I'm already in the market for another board I'm debating if I should really jump into a freeride board or go with the SL.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

190lb on a soft 156 is the problem I would think. I'm 200lb and jumped on a 156 Sierrascope last year for shits and giggles and was floored how noodly and unstable it was when I pushed it down a black at Snowshoe. I rode it on two runs and have never strapped into it again, way too soft. I imaging the EVO is a bit stiffer but cannot imagine riding a 156 at that weight down legitimate blacks out west. I ride a 165 Heritage, but also am about 210 now. I could possibly get away with the 162 but I ride fast and do the majority of my riding in the Rockies so even with the new R/C tech I like a longer board.
jpb3 is offline   Reply With Quote