Playfulness of a Proto vs SL - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 01:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Playfulness of a Proto vs SL

Hi all. I've got an Arbor Element 158 cambered board but am now looking for something more playful/freestyle orientated and with rocker. 90% of my time is spent on the piste with probably 10% park but I like hitting the natural features and messing about.

I got to demo in a dome an SL 158 and a Proto 154. I found the Proto very playful and the SL not as much fun. I must have read every review on both these boards now and there doesnt seem to be any major differences. OK the Proto's a twin and probably has a slightly softer flex, but weight and technology should all be the same.

Due to my riding style and its dampness for charging, I'd really like the SL (in a 155). But can I attribute the fact that because I was riding a 158 and not a 154 that is wasn't as much fun? Is that all it can be or is there more?
chilliroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2011, 11:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

I was just looking for an answer to this question - anyone care to weigh in on how "playful" the SL is?
stimyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

It's still easy to initiate presses and butter around. Also the pop out of the board for ollies and getting extra lift off kickers is great.

There is a long ass thread about the two boards a few pages back, but long story short of the thread. SL = Directional board w/ slightly stiffer flex and more dampening. Proto = Bit flexier true twin board that's also better suited for jibbing.
Bayoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned!

weight and tech are NOT the same in these 2 boards.

i would only lean toward the sL over the proto if i knew i was taking mostly out of bounds or powder (but then i'd want a heritage or raptor). they are very similar, neither are stiff, even the sL is a twin, just with setback.

while there are certainly differences between these boards they were designed for almost the exact same thing. like i said the tech in and on them is NOT the same by a longshot, neither is the price, or availability.

imo, fwiw if the $30-40 price difference is no big deal, and the proto is available in your size, the decision is a no-brainer, get the proto. on the other hand i'm sure you won't be disappointed with the SL.

edit: ill go ahead and break down some of the major tech differences for ya since i've researched it plenty:
-proto has a 5500 base vs the sl's 4500 (both sintered, the new base is graphite impregnated, probably would be hard to tell the difference, but its there.
-proto has a carbonium topsheet which is lighter and stronger than the normal topsheet of the SL.
-proto also has more carbon IN it, features the CDS damping system that it shares with the heritage and raptor. while they compare the damping of the proto to the EVO, the damping system that is IN the proto is of a different (read newer, better) than what is in the evo.
-while you said "slightly softer flex" according to NS the SL and proto share the same flex.
-while dampness of the proto is compared to the dampness of the evo which is the least damp of NS's lineup, I can tell you it is still MUCH more damp than my '11 ET, and hardly a bucking ride.

Last edited by snowklinger; 11-23-2011 at 01:25 PM.
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Never ridden a proto but I have the SL in a 155 and love it, was never into the presses and butters or ridden powder before this week and have been able to press the board reasonably well obviously will be able to press it better with a better technique and riding powder in it was really nice to. Also back home in Aus where the conditions are very icy and hard it held its edge very well to. All in all I love the SL haha
mitch19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ok, no more bugging you guys, I just ordered a Proto 154. I'm psyched. Thanks for all your help. Bring on the snow.
stimyg is offline   Reply With Quote