Need a board recommendation, Intermediate Freestyle/Freeride - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2011, 10:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need a board recommendation, Intermediate Freestyle/Freeride

Height 6'0"
Weight 190-210
Boot size 12
Riding style - A little bit of everything. From Western pennsylvania so not the best conditions. I do hit up the park although not very good there. Definitely hit up the whole mountain with an even split I'd say
Age - 24. Have stayed the same weight and anticipate will fluctuate within the range I gave
budget - I'd like to stay under 500. Preferably more like 400
Your location of riding - Northeast (western PA mainly), Seven springs mainly but will probably go West once this year

I've been riding about 9 years. Although for 3 of them I didnt go because I was broke as hell in college. I have had a ride mountain 159 this whole time. I bought it because it was cheap and I was broke and it was the only wideboard I could find under 250. At this point I really dislike it. I feel like its very flat and heavy.

I dont know too much about boards, but I'd like a board that I can feel a little agile on and still handle the sometimes not ideal conditions. I'm trying to read up but any help would be great, including how long I should get. Thanks guys
boardin087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2011, 10:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

Oh and if it matters I ride goofy
Old 10-07-2011, 11:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

Ride Machete 158 or 161 wide, $430ish.

Gnu Carbon Credit 159 or 162 wide, $400.

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 42

Mt. Brighton - 13
Mt. Holly - 5
Hawk Island - 3
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Urban - 1
Slackcountry - 1
Boyne Mountain - 1
Sugar Mountain, NC - 1
Beech Mountain, NC - 1
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_z View Post
Ride Machete 158 or 161 wide, $430ish.

Gnu Carbon Credit 159 or 162 wide, $400.
Just curious what makes these a good choice, if I were to increase my budget would I get much more board for the extra money?
Old 10-07-2011, 12:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Saw the NS proto ctx was pretty popular here. Would that be a good fit, if so is 158 too short?
Old 10-07-2011, 02:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardin087 View Post
Just curious what makes these a good choice, if I were to increase my budget would I get much more board for the extra money?
Both pretty solid all mtn boards at a price point that won't break the bank.

Ride boards have almost legendary "pop" and the Machete doesn't disappoint in that department. Its lowrize rocker is a nearly flat-camber with rockered tip/tail so it is still fairly playful but not too loose. Stable for jumps & the mild rocker is good on rails/boxes, too.

The Carbon Credit is a full rocker so will ride a little looser but the Magentraction on the edges compensate for this and will come in handy on the ice & hardpack for ya. The rocker shape also will come in handy if you spend some (but not all) of your time in the park.

Mt. Brighton - 13
Mt. Holly - 5
Hawk Island - 3
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Urban - 1
Slackcountry - 1
Boyne Mountain - 1
Sugar Mountain, NC - 1
Beech Mountain, NC - 1
Old 10-07-2011, 02:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardin087 View Post
Saw the NS proto ctx was pretty popular here. Would that be a good fit, if so is 158 too short?
Proto CTX might work for ya but it goes $530 instead of $400-430. 158 should work, as its blunted shape so it's got a longer effective edge and will ride "longer" than a traditional 158.

The R/C camber profile in this, in my opinion, is better on ice than the Machete (but not as great as MTX on the Carbon Credit). The dampening in the Machete is better than the Proto which has a pretty lively feel underfoot. They flex a bit differently; torsionally the Proto is stiffer so may be a bit quicker rolling over edge-to-edge than either of the Machete/Carbon Credit. Also the Proto flexes more through the middle of the board whereas the others have a bit more even flex and are easier to press/flex through the nose & tail, especially since the Gnu is full rocker shape so you can cheat on your presses.

Mt. Brighton - 13
Mt. Holly - 5
Hawk Island - 3
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Urban - 1
Slackcountry - 1
Boyne Mountain - 1
Sugar Mountain, NC - 1
Beech Mountain, NC - 1
Old 10-07-2011, 02:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_z View Post
Proto CTX might work for ya but it goes $530 instead of $400-430. 158 should work, as its blunted shape so it's got a longer effective edge and will ride "longer" than a traditional 158.

The R/C camber profile in this, in my opinion, is better on ice than the Machete (but not as great as MTX on the Carbon Credit). The dampening in the Machete is better than the Proto which has a pretty lively feel underfoot. They flex a bit differently; torsionally the Proto is stiffer so may be a bit quicker rolling over edge-to-edge than either of the Machete/Carbon Credit. Also the Proto flexes more through the middle of the board whereas the others have a bit more even flex and are easier to press/flex through the nose & tail, especially since the Gnu is full rocker shape so you can cheat on your presses.
wow thanks for taking the time to write out all of this information. I'm going to spend a little bit more time researching. If i eliminate price from this discussion, which do you choose given my criteria. I'm debating between the Gnu and the Proto.

I just want a board where I have good control, can handle alot of hte mountain, smooth edge to edge and I can get a more out of little kickers and such on on the slopes and in the park. I'm trying to grow with this board and will be boarding a lot more this winter then usual. Honestly price isnt such a deciding factor, besides if you are going to spend 430ish on a board why not spend another 100, I'm sure I'll get a few years out of it
Old 10-07-2011, 02:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

Oh also where to buy these boards, going to check out my local shop today after work but particularly neversummer i haven't seen anywehre for under MSRP. I havent paid MSRP on anything in 5 years. Are these generally only available at MSRP?
Old 10-07-2011, 04:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

You can get last season's boards at pretty reasonable discounts I've seen the machete and the CC for well under $300 recently but this is the first year for the Proto C/T and judging by the hype/popularity, there won't be any left when its time to start marking down product for spring sales.

Price not an issue, I'd rather have the Proto than the Carbon Credit.

The CC is a good all mountain board (on a budget) so I am not dismissing it, but the Proto is definitely a "better" board by any objective metric.

Just keep in mind there are personal things to consider (I prefer the more even flex on the Machete, for example, others might prefer the magnetraction to Never Summers R+C/Vario powergrip tech, etc.)