Burton Backhill Question - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 11:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Burton Backhill Question

Hello All. When I was a young kid who didn't really take care of his toys, I received what I believe is one of the first Burton boards not yet available on the market. I had to be about 11 or 12 (38 now) and when I started taking this board to the local sledding spots, nobody knew what the heck I was attempting to go down the hill on. Sadly I used it all the time and not always on just hills. I took the "BackHill" literally and used it anywhere and everywhere including some spots where I marked the face of the board with a couple good scratches due to hidden rocks under the not so packed down snow. The board has the fin tail cut out on the back with the blades on either side. Once cleaned up it wouldn't look too beat up from the top, but I'm also missing some of the original hardware (2 of the screws to keep the front rubber boot fitting on. and one of the little red screws for the back blades. It never came with the original rope and wooden handle. So all in all, the board is in less than perfect condition missing some hardware. I'm sure a collector could clean it up and recondition much better than I. My question is, what exactly do I have? As far as worth? It has a Registration number # 0-2669 (in red ink) and Shaped by : AJ (also in red ink). I'm unable to find any pictures online that as old as this board. My hopes were to keep this baby for my cottage in the mountains someday, but due to hard times and a bout of unemployment I could really use the cash. Sadly, If the price is right, I will let this board go. If it still holds any value in its current condition. Any help is most greatly appreciated. Thank you. also marked as Hand Made in Vermont U.S.A. Patent Pending.
backhillboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2011, 11:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

Might wanna check out this site:

Empty Bottle Works Snowboard Museum

They have photos of Burton Backhills going back to 1979.
Chef Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hey, Thanks for the link. I had checked there. Oddly they did not have my board listed. I believe mine is from like "76".
Old 10-09-2011, 11:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

uploading a photo now.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by backhillboard View Post
Hey, Thanks for the link. I had checked there. Oddly they did not have my board listed. I believe mine is from like "76".
Burton was founded in 1977... so not sure what you have. Email Burton? maybe they can provide some insight on what you have.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

Default Nor am I. Again thanks for your info. Here is a picture.

My mother gave me the board for Christmas in the early 80's. Later on she told me she received it from a friend that was using the board for teaching lessons in the NH/Vermont regions. He explained to her that this would be a great gift for me at the time. He was right. I loved it. Just wish I kept better care of it. Really wish I didn't need to get rid of it. I contacted Burton years back and they offered to give me 2 boards of my choice from any of their current stock. I was not interested in more snowboards as I kinda grew away from the sport. Loved it, but I don't get up as easy as I used to after a nice tumble down the hill.

Picture included with this post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg myboard.jpg (20.0 KB, 38 views)
Old 10-09-2011, 11:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

Looks like it is from 1981.

http://burton.emptybottleworks.com/1...hill__1911.jpg
Old 10-09-2011, 11:59 AM   #8 (permalink)

I've seen these online. But I believe they went with the rounded back after the split tail fin shape mine has. I can't for the life of me locate a picture of the same shape as mine. You might be correct, but I kinda think this was prior to the rounded backs as with the rounded backs it was a bit easier to control your movement. With the board I have, it was more strap in and hold on for a straight downhill bomb. lol. Unless there was plenty of powder. But Manchester NH wasn't exactly the best place for good powder.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

I know I've seen this board before...

snb-history BURTON

Yeah, looks like '81 but some other places have it identified as '82 or '83. Either way, safe to say very early '80s you got a piece of history there.
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

That link hit the spot. Definitely the "81" board. Now where do I sell a "non mint condition "81" backhill. Not a big fan of eBay. Any suggestions? Thanks again for your help. That is a perfect picture of the board I have.