Need Advice for All-Mountain Destroyer - Arbor, Never Summer, and More? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 02:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need Advice for All-Mountain Destroyer - Arbor, Never Summer, and More?

Hey,

I'm looking for a new board, finally retiring my 10 year old 155 Ride Timeless!

I'm 5'10", 152lbs, advanced freerider, intermediate freestyler.

Near Vancouver, BC, Canada, so ride Mt. Baker, Whistler, and smaller local mountains, so mostly West Coast mountains, but a little interior BC as well.

I ride powder, trees, drops, pillows, small kickers and bomb the groomers. I try to stay off the trail whenever possible. Always would rather be out riding powder or in the trees.

I ride a very small amount of park, but mostly jumps, I'll hit boxes sometimes while I'm in there but rarely rails. Usually I only hit the park if it's on the way down to the chair lift I'm going to. I will do a small amount of jibs on natural stuff though. So park is fairly low on the list.

I love to hit drops and jumps as mentioned and more do jumps off natural features. I try to hit anything I can on the mountain. If there is fresh snow or powder I'm always going to hit that first choice. Want that surfy feeling in powder and tight turns in trees. I pretty much want an all-mountain destroyer quiver killer board, that charges hard, good in powder, carves decent, is still playful, fun to ride, and pops! Haha not too much to ask.

Pretty much what this guy in the video link below is riding the Proto on is what I love to ride.
Never Summer Proto Review / Snowboard Video - YouTube
Sometimes, depending on the riders I'm with there might be some groomers as well.

I already have 2010 Flow Rival Boa Boots (Size 8.5) and 2011 Union Force Bindings.

My choices of the new 2012 boards are down to... (Do sizes seem right?)

Never Summer SL - 155

Never Summer Proto CT - 154

Arbor Coda - 155

Open to other All-Mountain type boards, after researching this is what I came up with.

The only bad things I have heard about the companies I listed are...
Arbor has some durability issues? Seems far and few between.
Never summer loses its pop / liveliness after 30 to 50 days of riding. Is this true?

I have read every review I could find and have searched through this site as well. But want to hear people's opinions on them.

Thanks for your time and input.

Last edited by Ronin; 10-10-2011 at 07:09 PM.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I would be goin for Coda. I and probably BA prefer that to both of the NS options. He owned a Coda. Before I achieved my current employment, that was going to be my next board.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hey, I'm also from the West Coast, also looking for a new board and also retiring my 10 year old Burton lol! I've pretty much narrowed my choice down to the Proto, but undecided on the size..either 154 or 157, I'm 5'9ish and 180#'s. Anyways I will be watching this thread as the answers also relate to me
Canadianboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

You and I have a very similar rider profile (freestyle air, off piste, freeriding nastiness) and I ended up being very happy with my T.rice from Lib tech, so you may consider taking a look at it or some of the other stiff lib decks. It rides powder pretty well since it has some mild rocker, carves like a champ on anything with magnetraction, and is quite stiff to hold up at any speed. It's even pretty friendly to spins since you can land a little more easily on your tail/nose without necessarily eating shit with the rockered center.
Irahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
I would be goin for Coda. I and probably BA prefer that to both of the NS options. He owned a Coda. Before I achieved my current employment, that was going to be my next board.
Thanks for the response Nivek. How damp is the Coda? I know the NL's are super damp. But is the Coda still fairly damp? I want it to absorb most vibrations and blast through the chop, but I don't want a plank either.

Thanks again

Last edited by Ronin; 10-09-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irahi View Post
You and I have a very similar rider profile (freestyle air, off piste, freeriding nastiness) and I ended up being very happy with my T.rice from Lib tech, so you may consider taking a look at it or some of the other stiff lib decks. It rides powder pretty well since it has some mild rocker, carves like a champ on anything with magnetraction, and is quite stiff to hold up at any speed. It's even pretty friendly to spins since you can land a little more easily on your tail/nose without necessarily eating shit with the rockered center.
Thanks for the recommendation Irahi. I've looked at the T.Rice Pro in a 153, but I'm worried that might be to small and I don't really wanna go up to a 157 if not needed. Have heard of some Lib Techs had problems with delamation as well, not sure if this is that big of a problem.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

The 53 is more like a 55 both in actual length (compared it to my friend's Rome board in the same size) and contact length.
skip11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:45 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the info. How is the T.Rice Pro 153 in powder?

Any other thoughts on boards I listed or others?

Thanks
Old 10-11-2011, 11:19 AM   #9 (permalink)

As long as you can ride powder it should be fine. I set back my stance 0.5 inch though. I've ridden in 30-50cm of pow in Whistler, held up fine as long as you don't go slow. A little bit rear leg burn but nothin much. You could always set it back like an inch or more if it gets super deep.
skip11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I really like the new K2 SlayBlade it's first year out(2 years ago) it won every single award a snowboard can and now it had bambooya tech which comes with a 3-5 year warranty.

I ride a TurboDream as I wanted a more powder\sidecountry orientated board rather than "all mountain" because I live in powder country in the winter now.
hikeswithdogs is offline   Reply With Quote