Wide snowboards for big guys - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2011, 11:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Wide snowboards for big guys

I'm an advanced snowboarder, 33 years old, 6'6", 225 lbs. The real rub is that I have size 15 feet and have trouble finding an advanced snowboard that is wide enough to eliminate toe and heel drag. I'm looking for an all mountain board that will be fast and stable in all conditions from cruising the groomers to bombing the steeps, winding through tree, and floating on powder. I'm mostly a freeride snowboarder and don't spend a lot of time in the park or on the pipe.

I've been looking at various wide boards on the market and I'm wondering if anyone out there has ridden any of these boards or has any suggestions about other boards worth checking out. So far I've narrowed it down to the Elan El Grande (171 length; 28.4 cm waist), Nitro Magnum (171 cm length; 27.9 cm waist), and Ride Highlife (172cm length; 27.2cm waist). The Ride is definitely on the pricier side but seems to have some appealing technological innovations and might be a lighter board too. I'm leaning towards the El Grande because of its width and Elan's claim that its sidecut technology allow the board to turn quicker than most wide boards. Honestly though, I never hear anyone saying anything great about Elan snowboards.

I'm also wondering if anyone has any suggestions for good quality freeride bindings that can accomodate a size 15, but are also light and responsive. Thanks for the help and advice.
chiefjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2011, 11:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Look up venture snowboards. They have a 29cm wide board and are a great company out of silverton Colorado. They have the widest boards I've seen.
Argo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

those boards are huge. im 6'6" 200 size 14 feet. i ride a nitro t1 158w and a flow infinite 163w. i think if you get boots with shrink tech you can probably ride something in the 163w-168w range and most brands will fit your feet if you are looking to expand what you can buy. i have read that forum and burton run narrow.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Jesus, is everyone on here a minimum of 6 foot. I mean I'm 5'10 and I'm on of the tallest kids in my grade.
ThunderChunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
SBE

Default RIDE all day

Ride and Lib tech are make'n stuff for the big fellas, I would check out Ride. GOOD LUCK!
SBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Nitro makes some nice wide boards, as does Lib-Tech. As for bindings, I know my Cartels could accomadate up to a 15.
It never gets old, if you're in it for the passion, and not the fashion
NWBoarder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

6'4" 190lbs size 15. I rock a Bataleon Goliath 161w and just picked up a Ride Highlife 163w ($324 shipped from Evo). They are both plenty wide enough. I'm using Ride bindings (XL) on both. My biggest problem is finding stiffer boots in a 15 (something like Ride Insano).
2013 Burton Boxer
BlackSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

I actually ride a Venture Zephyr board currently (169cm length, 27cm width). 27cm waist is the widest they make. It's a good board, but feels a little too short for me and not as stable at high speed as some other boards I've ridden. That might just be related to the length. I also have some toe drag on occasion. Another complaint is the weight. It's kind of a beast, especially for backcountry trips.
chiefjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Already some good options listed in this thread, but I'll add the Lib Tech Skunk Ape. It would be a great all mountain board for a big guy with big feet...that's what it is made for.

They all have 168mm waists which could be wide enough for your and you could go with the 161, 165 or 169 depending on how big you want to go.

It is pricey like the Highlife though.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

I am a big boy at 250 with size 12 boots....i was in the market for a good pow board and i picked up a ride yukon wide at 164 cm.....this thing is known as the "moving sidewalk" by my friends. It is a heavy board but once you get use to it it's like a semi that carves like a ferriri. No more toe or heal drag and i get the speed and carving that gets me yelled at at the local dump hill when i am feeling adventurous. hope this helped.
rc_moe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote