WEIRD question: ONE board to share between girl/guy...advice? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2011, 12:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

female WEIRD question: ONE board to share between girl/guy...advice?

So is there ONE board that can be shared as a freeride board by a 102 pound girl (me, size 7.5 feet, size 0 dress) but also as freestyle board for a 160 pound guy?

I am a beginner who is ready to stop riding rentals at this point, looking to get out 2-3 times a month. I want this board for freeride cruising...not really into the idea of park or losing my teeth on a rail. He wants this board for working on smaller jumps and butters/groundtricks... see 29 snowboard ground tricks - YouTube He currently rides an SL for all-mountain, but wants something much lighter with more flex to play around with.

We are considering the
1. Never Summer Evo 150
2. Arbor Blacklist or Westmark 150
3. Rome Mod Rocker 150
4. Bataleon Evil Twin 151 (wtf is a "Synthduded" Base... extruded or sintered?)

Thoughts or other board suggestions? No Burton stuff with non-standard binding tech, please. Thanks for your advice!
borborygmii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2011, 12:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think 150cm is way too big for you, especially since you're a beginner. You're probably better getting your own board (138-143'ish cm).
cocolulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Resident poet

I think there is too much of a weight difference to make 1 board work for the both of you...maybe if there were a 25-30 weight difference but not a 60 lbs difference. Also depends on his feet size, if he is a 9+ size foot...something that works for him will be to sluggish for you. You want a narrower women's board. And then there is stance width...many women's boards don't have quite enough range of width for a guy. I think its a generally poor idea. But perhaps a twin fs cambered women's board or gnu b-pro.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I think it is possible. It will be possible for you to ride a 150 board, but it will have to be flat cambered with a lot of flexibility. At 102 lbs, you are not going to have as much weight to throw it around and keep the edges engaged.

There is not much of a difference in the dimensions of a 147 board vs a 150 board.

Your 160 lbs friend will not have much fun riding a soft 150 at high speed, though.
Tarzanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Uhhhh.....no. 150 is really long for you. Additionally, you are considering riding men's boards, which means the already stiff and long 150 will be even harder to ride (that's what she said). Not to mention that sharing a board would likely be a huge pain in the ass unless you have the same stance preferences (same width between bindings, same angles) and similar shoe sizes. Otherwise you'll have to tweak or change bindings with each ride. If you are riding every weekend or almost every weekend, do yourself a giant favor and invest in the proper equipment.

What sizes have you been riding when you rent? FYI: I'm your size and I ride boards between 140 and 144 cm. You could go longer for a big mountain or powder board, but the length is only useful if you're going to be very aggressive.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

lilfoot is right about swapping bindings being a pain. I disagree about a soft 150 board being too much for you for all mountain riding. 3cm ain't much. Have you checked craigslist? Atlanta.craigslist.org has a women's 149 Atomic Tika board for $100. I contacted the seller earlier about buying it, but then I broke up with my gf.

I bet she'd be willing to ship it if you paid for shipping. $120 for a board in good shape ain't bad. The Tika 149 is rated for a rider between 110-152 lbs... which is the SAME as the weight rating for the 150 NS EVO (Never Summer Snowboard Size Chart - 2012 | evo)

Barely-Used Women's Snowboard
Tarzanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I really think you'd be better off getting a used board in your size for cheap, until you get good. You can pick up boards for $50 with bindings, you are in sizes for big kids so it shouldn't be too hard.
Jenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:02 AM   #8 (permalink)

depends on your budget really.

Anything above 400 and youre golden. Anything under and its pretty difficult.

Basically, go check out any $400 deck that fits your criteria (narrow ww, flexy, somewhere around 148-150), then walk out the shop and log on. Then head to your favourite cheap or used gear site (whiskeymilitia, craigslist, ebay etc) and go buy two decks from a few seasons ago that actually fit what you're both after. With a bit of effort, you shouldnt have too much trouble finding a deck from a couple of seasons ago for under $200.

Honestly, this has all the makings of the boys idea I reckon you said "i should buy a new deck! im sick of rentals..." and he said "dude, thats a wicked idea, tell you what, i kinda want a softer deck and ive heard womens decks are softer and shorter, so how about if i give you a bit of cash and then you get a deck we can both use!!!"

Probably best you both get your own decks.
ippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
lilfoot is right about swapping bindings being a pain. I disagree about a soft 150 board being too much for you for all mountain riding. 3cm ain't much. Have you checked craigslist? Atlanta.craigslist.org has a women's 149 Atomic Tika board for $100. I contacted the seller earlier about buying it, but then I broke up with my gf.

I bet she'd be willing to ship it if you paid for shipping. $120 for a board in good shape ain't bad. The Tika 149 is rated for a rider between 110-152 lbs... which is the SAME as the weight rating for the 150 NS EVO (Never Summer Snowboard Size Chart - 2012 | evo)

Barely-Used Women's Snowboard
Tarzanman: Where are you getting the number 147? Yes, the difference between 147 and 150 is only 3 cm, but that's a lot for a person who really does MAX OUT at 147. Additionally, there ARE big differences between a 150 men's board and a 147 women's board, both in terms of flexibility and width.

And I agree with Ippy that this sounds like a boy's idea.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:40 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilfoot1598 View Post
Additionally, you are considering riding men's boards, which means the already stiff and long 150 will be even harder to ride (that's what she said).
hah (10char)
kpd2003 is offline   Reply With Quote