Board for Jumps - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2011, 10:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Board for Jumps

Hey guys so i wasnt planning on buying any new equipment this year, a little low on $ but i just won a pair of flux bindings and now i feel like i have to get a sweet board to do them justice. i am 5'7" 130lbs. I am looking for a board that will allow me to cruise the mountain and then hit the jump line with ease. I currently use a 148 ride kink that is older but i keep in great condition so it gets the job done. I just feel like it does not give me a lot of pop and is unstable at higher speeds. The board im looking for probably wont be used for rails that much because i know how badly rails tend to shred the base of your board and mess up edges if you catch kinks wrong. Thanks a lot
mtmgiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2011, 11:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Take a look at a 153 Arbor Coda, 152 Nitro Rook, 151 K2 Fastplant, 153 Ride Buckwild, 153 Flow Shifty, or a 154 Signal Park Flat.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I would definitely get a cambered board. It's better for riding and jumps, with a hybrid or rocker when you try to stomp a big spin or anything on a big jump it get really loose and sketchy. I would suggest the 2012 IIKKA Pro or the 2012 Rome Agent, only thing about the Agent is that it is a little costly.
ThunderChunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderChunky View Post
I would definitely get a cambered board. It's better for riding and jumps, with a hybrid or rocker when you try to stomp a big spin or anything on a big jump it get really loose and sketchy. I would suggest the 2012 IIKKA Pro or the 2012 Rome Agent, only thing about the Agent is that it is a little costly.
Its not "better". Depends on who you are bro. I'd rather jump zero cam or a hybrib like Gullwing. I only have the Shifty in my list cause of the Pop cam making the tips easier to get you snap out of.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
Its not "better". Depends on who you are bro. I'd rather jump zero cam or a hybrib like Gullwing. I only have the Shifty in my list cause of the Pop cam making the tips easier to get you snap out of.
Yah, I can see where zero would be better, but he said he wanted to be able to ride a lot to so I just recommended the traditional because it has so much authority on groomers and ice. I didn't mean to say it was indefinitely better, I just meant for his situation.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
With extra cheese.

Never had a problem riding plain tri-radial sidecut rockered boards on hardpack or ice. Now with things like Grip-Tech, MTX, Variogrip, camber profile matters less and less for grip. It even is starting to matter less for things like pop. It's to the point where it's more about preference and feel than outright performance. I've ridden seven radius cambered boards that don't stomp any better or grip any harder than pure parabolic rocker boards.
CheeseForSteeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I suggest you'd look for a flat kick board.. fun in the pow and great on jumps.
earl_je is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Most of the pros are still riding cambered sticka when they're hucking huge shit, but then again they're pros.

I prefer hybrid rockers for jumps. Plenty of edge hold for what I do but much more forgiving. The worst slam I've ever yaken on a board was on a fairly small jump of about 20-25 feet. I was on a cambered plank and came down slighly off axis on a rutted out landing zone and caught an edge. That shit HURT.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseForSteeze View Post
Never had a problem riding plain tri-radial sidecut rockered boards on hardpack or ice. Now with things like Grip-Tech, MTX, Variogrip, camber profile matters less and less for grip. It even is starting to matter less for things like pop. It's to the point where it's more about preference and feel than outright performance. I've ridden seven radius cambered boards that don't stomp any better or grip any harder than pure parabolic rocker boards.
Very true, but you gotta pay a bit more for boards with this stuff. Which is almost the standard now. But anyway I just thought normal camber would be the cheapest option. Like everyone always says, it's what you prefer, the ultimate test is to strap it on yourself. Just buy a board from the 80's man. It's the new trend.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderChunky View Post
Sounds like you read this straight off a google review and have never actually ridden a rc board, but spout it to make you feel better about your cambered board.
WasatchMan is offline   Reply With Quote