Need Pow board to compliment ride machete - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011, 12:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need Pow board to compliment ride machete

I already own a ride machete in 157w and am looking for another board for the days when there is some fresh stuff around. i'm 6'0 90kg. the sort of boards i have been thinking about are- ride slack country, high life. never summer proto, f1. rome agent rocker. Yes typo. thinking in the 163ish range.

i will be up at big white this season so probably don't need anything for big steep mountain type riding. just for fresh in the trees and a few hikes for steeper stuff.

any ideas? open to new suggestions and i don't have any brand loyalty.
aplummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2011, 01:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
lost in the ugly trees

I have a Smokin Pinner and that makes a great Pow board.
Floats like a dream with no effort at all
Old 10-12-2011, 01:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Are you looking for a dedicated pow stick or a more all around compliment to your Machete that will double as a pow stick?

Personally, if you're only going to have two boards, I'd recommend the latter option. I'd look at noards like the NS Heritage, Lib Tech TRS, Smokin Mike Basich, etc. There's a near endless list of boards that would be great options.

Dedicated pow sticks are just too limited IMO to have as part of a two board quiver. Nothing like thwm on the deeeeep days, but seriously, how many of those are we really going to get in one season? Last year was phenomenal here in CO and I probably got 10-12 out of my 60 or so days on my pow stick.

Last edited by linvillegorge; 10-12-2011 at 01:43 PM.
linvillegorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

yeah just looking for a second board that handles fresh stuff better than the machete. doesn't need a full blown powder board but something that floats a bit better but can still handle resort riding.

Last edited by aplummer; 10-12-2011 at 02:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-12-2011, 02:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
lost in the ugly trees

Will in that case I would lean towards a NS Heritage or maybe a Smokin KT-22
Both are a great board for pretty much anything outside of the park while still being rideable in the park.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

cheers for the suggestions. to be honest i have never heard of smoking boards so will have a bit of a look at them.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
SBE

Default best pow boards i got to demo in pow were

Salomon sick stick, a jones board cant remember the name, and the (ihate to say it) Burton fish. in that order, the sick stick was pretty small but still had a ton of float and was the least bulky thats why I liked the sick stick. I was in Utah at the end of march and only brought my twin 155 and when a couple of feet fell it wasnt much fun but one of the guides had some demos for me to try,so I got lucky! Sick stick felt like surf'n!
SBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

i almost recommended the premier f1, but it sounds likes you want something a little more subtle instead of a stiff speed/steep/pow board like the f1. i would say the heritage could compliment a bit better.
CMSbored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

ive got the 164 charlie slasher and it feels like a normal snowboard in truth. I can happy pop switch on it with no consequent meetings of mountain and face.
I usually ride 157 so the only issue i have is its a bit big to kinda muck about on it, but honest to god, if it was a 158 id happy have that deck as my pow/ripping stick. Its FAST. It also has awesome edge to edge (my first cross under carving came on that board - great turn initiation as well what with the fk nose, and great pop out of turns since its effectively zero camber at the back - i keep seeing people say its camber, but with my own little mince pies, its god damn flat), and finally its DIRT CHEAP.

Definitely worth a look. Tapers arent going to spin your head that much, i swear it. They are going to have you grinning your face off on a drop or when you get bored of the groomers and pop into the trees.
ippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I have the 164 CS as well. It's definitely zero camber with a big old soft shovel of a kicked up nose and a shirt, stiff tail. Great pow stick and it's decent on groomers, but if I only had two sticks, it wouldn't be one of them. Amazing in pow, but I'm not grabbing it unless it's a double digit day.