wide vs regular - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 11:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default wide vs regular

I wear a size 11 boot and have been advised by several people that I should purchase a wide board. The regular board I am interested in purchasing has a waist width of 252mm and the wide version is 263mm at the waist. Is there much of a downside in riding a wide board? I have heard they are slower edge to edge. Can an intermediate rider really feel the differance?
dukeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2011, 11:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Wide boards are usually a little stiffer. I weigh 160 and have size 11.5/12 boots depending on the brand and i can move around a wide board just like a normal. I see no difference so i get a wide just so i dont chance it on toe drag
Powderbrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

If a wide board is a little stiffer, should I go down one size in lenght? I am 180lbs. and have typically rode a 159.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I have size 11 boots (Burton ruler with reduced footprint tech so its actually more like a 10) and I ride a ride highlife 158.
The waist just happens to be 252. No problems, but you will need that reduced footprint boot and a little bit of duck stance rather than 0 on your bindings.

At your weight (I am 179-175) the regular board is better than the wide IMO. 159 a little more or less would be perfect. What do you want to do on the board?

mostly park, pow, groomers, everything?

Last edited by dreampow; 10-13-2011 at 11:46 PM.
dreampow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Primarly long groomers and jumps within the park. I ride with a wide, duck style stance.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

unless you get boots specifically designed to make them smaller, you'd probably be better off with a 263 waist then a 252.

You aren't going to notice much of a difference, if at all, since your feet will be big enought to control the extra width, but if you go smaller, you may notice toe drag.

You don't need 263, but if those are you only two options I would lean towards the bigger.

With all that said, you could be safe on the 252 but it's hard to know until you actually set your bindings and boots up.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

158 or 159 will be perfect for the whole mountain. If you go less than that you will have less than 252 width and therefore problems.

The regular board will change direction quicker and be lighter, easier to press and spin. Much better IMO.
I ride a 252 waist with a +12-12 duck stance. No problems at all.

As I said and the other fella said you will need boots with shrinkage tech. Without that you will be having some toe drag on deep carving turns. With that you will be sweet. Most makes offer that tech these days for basic boots.

I also have a semi wide board (161) with a 258 waist. I use it when the pow is deep but believe me you feel the extra weight when you are spinning or doing tricks. The 158 252 is much better for that IMO.

If you don't have shrinkage tech boots wide would be better. Still may be worth changing boots for the extra performance in the park.
dreampow is offline   Reply With Quote