Quick board sizing question... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2011, 09:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Quick board sizing question...

Hey guys, I'm new to the snowboarding forum world, but I'm not stupid enough to neglect that this is probably the most annoying question of all time - so I apologize for this... the only reason I'm pathetic enough to ask it is because I've found about 50 different answers on 50 different sites, and it's difficult to decipher on my own because I don't know what plays the biggest role in what board size to get, between height, weight, and boot size

I've been snowboarding for maybe 4 years-or-so, but never too seriously - maybe 4-5 times a season, but it has been on some POS generic board I got for Christmas back in highschool... now I'm really trying to get legitimately into it, and maybe even play around in the park more

To put it bluntly, I'm looking at the Never Summer SL... the issue arises with my abnormal measurables - I'm 6'0" 160 lbs and a size 12 boot. Now with my boot size, it's my understanding that I need to get the Legacy (even though I like the green design more than the blue haha), but I can't decide between the 158 or the 161... but then again, I don't know whether my tall height or light weight plays a stronger role in my recommended board size - all the recommendations I see for this board, or boards in general, is someone either shorter than me, or heavier than me, so I don't know what direction to go in

Sorry for making this lengthy, but I'm hoping to learn as much as I can from this so I never have to ask/wonder again
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2011, 09:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

your weight is more of a factor than your height. I would probably also suggest the Legacy even though you like the colors on the SL better, they are basically the same board, just the Legacy is wider. I think you'd be OK on the 156 Legacy unless you plan on gaining a bunch of weight, or unless you plan on riding a ton of fresh pow in which case you could size up to the 159.

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 45

Mt. Brighton - 13
Mt. Holly - 5
Hawk Island - 4
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Boyne Mountain - 2
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Urban - 1
Slackcountry - 1
Nub's Nob - 1
Sugar Mountain, NC - 1
Beech Mountain, NC - 1
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Thanks

I appreciate the response. I don't have any intention to gain a whole lot of weight, but I could end up gaining 10-15 lbs by the end of the winter because I'm changing my workout regimen... would that potential change in weight make the 158 more attractive? or would everyone still recommend the 156?

And for the record, I was completely kidding about the color - I'm really not all that worried about it... especially to the extent of accepting toe drag in favor of it. I just thought I read that the Legacy was for boot sizes 11+, and wanted to be sure
Old 10-14-2011, 11:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

like David said, unless your planning on riding a lot of pow the 156 legacy would be better then the 59. I weigh 180 and am ordering a 155 SL, the legacy being wider you would still probably do fine in pow with the 156.
notter123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default Thanks a ton you guys

I really would have screwed up because a few charts (or equations or whatever) were really making me lean towards the 161, and now I see how much of a huge mistake that would have been - I appreciate the help!