Better to go shorter with narrow stance? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2011, 10:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Better to go shorter with narrow stance?

My stance is usually between 20 and 21. I am looking for a new board this year that will be mainly used for freeriding. I am 5' 10" 168 lbs and would normally ride a 157 or 158.

I am wondering if I would gain a little more control of the board if I downsized to a 154 or 155 since my stance is so narrow. I am not quite sure if the inch or so would really make a difference or not.
chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2011, 10:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

Damn, you're the same height as me and a bit lighter and I ride 152/153's! I'd deffinetly downsize mate! The difference will take a bit of getting used to (I started on 155's and first time i rode a 152 I struggled) but now I dont think I'll ever go back!

Although depends how much POW you're going to hit etc, as obviously longer will be better in that situation, for indoor and park though, go shorter! HTH
bobsy852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Resident poet

riding pow 8"+ then longer, otherwise whatever. Might gain more control if you widen your stance.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
riding pow 8"+ then longer, otherwise whatever. Might gain more control if you widen your stance.
Yeah, I have tried widening my stance before but I just can't get used to it. So much easier for me to hold an edge with a narrower stance. What does make me more stable is when I offset my bindings, but I am not sure if that is recommended.

For example at the end of last season I had my front bindings in the center holes but my back bindings one set of holes up. So my stance was the same length but I was more forward on the board.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:57 AM   #5 (permalink)

I guess this is my question, the board I am looking at has a 20.25″-26" stance range in both the 157 and 154. If I am going to ride at a 20.25 stance, do you believe I would be more comfortable on the 154 or would it make no difference?