suggestion for all mountain/freeride board for female? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2011, 01:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question suggestion for all mountain/freeride board for female?

I'm thinking about either a TRS-slim 151 or a NS Lotus 151 this year and would like some input from everyone. I demo'd all kinds of boards at the end of last season just so that i would know what board i want to get this year; tested the lotus and loved it, but couldn't find a place that had a TRS-slim 148 or 151 for me to try out. I've always liked a longer board, even tried dark series 155, riders choice 154 and T.rice 153 and felt fine, but they were way too heavier on the lift for me...

I'm 5'5, 105lbs, boot sz7, intermediate all mountain/freeride with occasional park, like going through the trees, charge hard, ride fast, like stability. i ride a NS SL 153 right now (i stole it from my bf) and love it, but feel slightly uncomfortable when i want to ride fast because i can't stay on my toes easily..

the one advantage of getting a TRS is its a twin board in case i end up riding switch a lot. My bf said i should get a TRS, but its also $100 more than a lotus, so i thought i'd come for some suggestions
grenzfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2011, 01:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I ride with a girl who's a advances freerider and she'll loves her gnu bpro. I think directional boards have an advantage in turning.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You tested the Lotus and loved it. It's $100 cheaper than the TRS. I don't see what the problem is.

At 105 pounds, you are already pushing the limits of what a board can do for you in terms of stability. Any longer/stiffer and the board will really start to work against you. Why add a men's flex to the equation?

Have you taken a lesson or lessons from a certified instructor? I don't mean to be rude, but the notion of a 105 pound female riding intermediate terrain on a 155 cm board is just ridiculous. 155cm for a 105 pound female is big mountain, advanced riding. Shayboarder, a bad ass, excellent female rider who keeps a very respectable blog about snowboarding, rides a 157 Lotus. She totally rips on it, but she also weighs close to 200 pounds. Sooo.....I guess what I'm saying is take a look at your technique and make sure your board isn't riding YOU or that you aren't swiveling that tail around to make it work. At some point, the negatives of a long board outweigh the positives. In order to be stable, you need to do as much or more work as the board you're riding.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

hi lilfoot1598-

i read shay's blog quite often actually and love all her reviews. i was about 140lbs before but after a big car accident, in a year i lost a lot of weight and now i am 105lb. i'd say i am a pretty experienced rider but after the big car accident with a slight brain injury, i am afraid to have another big fall again, so i think that's why i am going for stability more... i appreciate your feedback, and i definitely don't want to over-extend myself if it is above my capability, that's why i come and ask for people's suggestion.
grenzfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Okay, that makes A LOT of sense. Thanks for the additional information. You'll notice that a board will respond quite differently to 140 pounds than it will to 105 pounds. What you want is a slightly long board for your size that is damp, with good edges. The Lotus is a great board for that. Maybe the best. Consider getting one that is slightly shorter, though, because perfect CONTROL of your board (ie. skilled riding and a suitable deck) is worth far more than a plank that you have a hard time manipulating. Honestly, I would put you on a board closer to 147 unless you are riding a ton of powder or doing backcountry. I know when I ride trees, I like something that floats well, but that I can also maneuver easily through those quick twists and turns.

I weigh the same as you and I find that boards over 144 cm begin to feel heavy and awkward.

I hope this helps! Good luck in your search.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote