Just bought a skate banana and need some clutch advice! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2011, 02:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Just bought a skate banana and need some clutch advice!

So the other day i bought a skate banana off of geartrade.com for $230 shipped, had been used a couple times. The board is a 156, but in the listing it said it was a 156 wide. I wear a size 13 boot, and i thought i was doomed, but when i put my bindings on and strapped in i noticed that the toe of my boot barely hung over the edge, and the heel didnt much either, so i was thinking about just grinding a bunch of rubber off the back of the heel of my boots to try to keep it from dragging at all. Ive also heard about risers i could buy to give myself a little more clearance. i have 24 hours before i have to decide to return it or not, so i need to make a decision quick. what do you guys think, can i work around the fact that it's slightly too small? If possible i would love to keep it because it was such a good deal, and i hate having to use wide boards. I feel like a regular size would perform a lot better anyway, because i pretty much only do park and would definately appreciate the smaller size and weight. thanks!
willsnowboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2011, 06:07 AM   #2 (permalink)

How much is barely? A little bit of overhang isn't a bad thing as it'll give you some leverage on your edges(someone correct me if I'm wrong).

I myself have like a half inch of heel/toe overhang and never noticed any drag.
Bayoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

pictures would help
WasatchMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoh View Post
How much is barely? A little bit of overhang isn't a bad thing as it'll give you some leverage on your edges(someone correct me if I'm wrong).

I myself have like a half inch of heel/toe overhang and never noticed any drag.
yeah man ive got like 1/2 and inch in front and a whole inch in back, what im thinking though is just grinding off the heel of my boot because its just a ton of rubber back there, and i know thats what a lot of pros do. and yeah ive heard that people with big feet on a little board get a lot more response
Old 10-16-2011, 11:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasatchMan View Post
pictures would help
sorry im off at college right now and my board is at home
Old 10-16-2011, 12:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

buy some boots with shrinkage (many brands do it now) and rip tit. Or buy risers. 230 for a lib is good.
Sick-Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Dude, if you have a half inch in fron and an inch in back, center your boot on the board first and foremost. Your heel and toe overhang should be even. Shaving the heel off of your boot just sounds like a bad idea all around, but it's your gear, so do as you will. I have size 13 boots, and last season I rode a 157 with minimal overhang. A little bit won't kill you.
It never gets old, if you're in it for the passion, and not the fashion
NWBoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWBoarder28 View Post
Dude, if you have a half inch in fron and an inch in back, center your boot on the board first and foremost. Your heel and toe overhang should be even. Shaving the heel off of your boot just sounds like a bad idea all around, but it's your gear, so do as you will. I have size 13 boots, and last season I rode a 157 with minimal overhang. A little bit won't kill you.
oh no way, a regular width 157 then? yeah its just theres so much rubber on the heel, i feel like it would be a good idea anyway to grind it down a little. these boots are so trashed, i dont really care. but yeah when i get home ill center the bindings and see if that makes too big a difference in front. what i did was i centered the baseplate, so i made sure that the baseplate was flush with each edge, but ill try to get the boots centered and see how that looks. but my main question is is it worth it to try to work around the fact that the board might be too narrow? or should i just send it back?
Old 10-16-2011, 02:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yeah, a regular, non-wide 157. Your stance will most likely come into play in this equation as well. I ride kind of wide (about 23") cause I'm 6'3", and I ride ducked at 9/-9, so that helps me in the overhang dept. You can have the baseplate be flush with the edges as long as you remember to adjust your heelcup accordingly. Overhang should always be as close to equal as possible. Of course, every board is going to have different waistwidths, so there is that as well. If it were me, I would just see how centered I can get the boots, then make a decision if the overhang looks bearable, or like it's going to kill me. Then I would know if the board is going back or not.
It never gets old, if you're in it for the passion, and not the fashion
NWBoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

keep your board, its perfect size. dont shave your boots, thats just dumb.
CMSbored is offline   Reply With Quote