Pretty green rider needs board advice - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 08:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Pretty green rider needs board advice

Hello,
I've gone boarding for the last 2 years on the east coast (Snowshoe, WV & JFBB, PA) I've really enjoyed myself a lot and am looking to invest in my own board...I live in FL so I'll only be getting out like twice a year if that but I would like a board that is all-mountain although I might hit a little jump someday when I get good...I don't want to spend money on a bottom of the line board and I'm really hung up on Burton boards so...Would the process be to much of a board for me if I'm still having issues carving front side or would it be ok to learn on? Give me your advice please (5'7, 170lbs)
Engage_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2011, 10:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

My brother has the Process and really likes it, a Custom X is his other board, hence why he refers to the Process as a noodle.

I rode it on a few 150m runs - it was fine. Pretty flexi - not a noodle though, didn't wash out when turning, didn't lay any carves down as I was in a snow dome .... it's more of a park board though no??
Nothing really stood out about the Process though IMO.

In terms of learning and improving on it I don't see why not - it's not a catchy board, its forgiving and works. They say softer boards are easier to learn on - I wouldn't know, I learnt on a bottom of the range cambered board which I found stiff and unforgiving and unrewarding (oh and rather painful when it punished me for slight errors I made)- but it wouldn't let me develop bad habits and I'm thankful for having that as my first board.

If carving were my focus I would opt for a board which didn't scare the sheet out of me when riding hard i.e. not a soft board like the Process (or indeed my Skate Banana) Camber then hybrid then continuous rocker in that order for carving.

Being from the UK I don't know much about the US climate but I understand the East coast to get very icy. Magnetraction or one of it's variants??

I also own 2 Never Summer Boards not stiff - awesome boards. Where they are eyewateringly fun to ride, the Process was *shrug* meh.

Read reviews on:
Arbor Westmark/Blacklist
Never Summer Evo/Proto
Lib Tech latest all mountain weapon
etc etc etc etc - they'll all make a board you'll really dig!

This forum has a shocking amount of information - use the search function to find out more. Do loads of research and most importantly, where possible, demo the board!!!!
Old 10-17-2011, 11:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

I appreciate the experienced notes...I'm looking at the Process Flying V partially because it seemed to be a nice step up from the Clash, nice graphics, price point was in my range...don't want to spend anymore than 450ish....From what i've heard of the flying v style it seemed like a board I would enjoy riding once I adjusted to it. Its definitely icy here on the east coast and I was told the board would do good with the edges...again any advice on alternate boards would be great...I just am hung up on Burton Boards and I know people like the Custom but its a little steep for what I'm looking to spend...
Old 10-17-2011, 11:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

Wink

If you're gonna drop 450 ..... just be able to drop 150 more.... It's not something you buy every day - well - some of these guys do but still, most of us don't. And a good analogy I've heard is; It's better to go out for a meal that will blow you away, once a month, than it is to go every other day to burger king and spend the same money (or something like that) just sell your ass down the docks for a couple of nights for the extra cash - I know I would then you can get a board that you will love for a long time!

I say Nay to the Process.

Also

www.theangrysnowboarder.com
Snowboard Gear Reviews By The Good Ride
Shayboarder.com

Burton Process Flying V Rocker Snowboard Review - this is the Process btw - as a for instance!

Just look at loads of reviews. Icy conditions screams magnetraction to me - and I genuinely love my Skate Banana, it has NEVER washed out on ice - weird! But for more all mountain........ just look at reviews!!!
Old 10-17-2011, 01:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

I demo'd the Process Flying-V last year, in typical east-coast condition. To be honest, I don't have much to say, neither bad, nor good. It did alright, not the best but certainly not the worst either. Flexy enough to take it to the park while being able to carve down.

Have you checked the Burton store at the Premium Outlets? Last year they had some good deals on previous year gear...
SimonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

I did actually check out the burton outlets on i-drive but everything they had early model wise was either not my size, had a naked chick on it, or was a park board...and I'm not going to ever go hit rails I'm more into just flying down the mountain and maybe work on some butters...you guys have to guide me in the right direction! I'm planning on buying a board Nov because a local shop will be having a sale at that time..I feel the same way about spending the money...if i'm going to spend 300 on a clash, then I might as well go another 100 and get something that will last..now your talking 250 more and getting a custom? Everyone seems to love the custom but from what I gather its for a pretty good boarder..I'm def not there.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Resident poet

idk about burton, however if only going 2xyear on east coast, get something between 152-158, with magnetraction-like and either with or without camber. You can find old gnu all day long for under 200...evo or gear trade something like that. Spend your $ on riding til you get better and can go more often.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Don't get a Custom as someone that will be riding a couple trips a year. That is a very aggressive board. As far as Burton goes, I think you can do better. Demoing is key here. We can tell you about the different boards until we're blue in the face. Until you get out and see the difference for yourself, you will always be hung up on Burton. Demo, demo, demo...
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

People always say rider > board but my riding improved tenfold when I got my Skate Banana after riding the k2 Anagram (cambered). So a good board i think should speed up the learning process. If you can confidently link your turns then you should be able to ride any board IMO. Yeah if you make a mistake on a stiffer board it is more likely to punish you than a soft board but it will be more stable at higher speeds and not throw you off at mach 10 like a soft board might.

I just think Burton isn't the right for East Coast riding. Frostbite technology has not been spoken of highly on this forum and that's not necessarily because everyone is a Burton hater - but that there is such better grip technology out there!

Magnetraction is the strongest by far - people say that the original tech is too grippy and there is argument about having the tech beneath your feet or between them etc etc. C2BTX seems to be coming up as the Number 1 choice Lib Tech grip! Never Summer's Vario Grip is good, as is Arbor Grip Tech, from what I have seen these are the top 3 grip technologies (definitely not gospel - just what I have concluded) followed by TBT (Bataleon) and so on and so forth.

Do you ride much switch? Do you want to learn to?

True twin or tapered directional or the inbetweeners? There's so much to consider - the more you can find out - the better. If I were you I would go to Snowboard Reviews By Name A-Z and look at the brands we have all been talking about to try and narrow down the style of riding you think you will want to do (although you will most likely not get that right - it takes a long time to figure out what sort/s of rider you are) and therefore the boards you might like. I love true twins I'd say try - K2 Darkstar (discontinued for '12 but probably still find one), Lib Tech Skate Banana, Lib Tech Attack Banana, Lib Tech Banana Magic, Never Summer Evo, Never Summer Proto, Bataleon Evil Twin, Arbor Westmark, Rome Agent, Arbor Blacklist one of the Forum Destroyer boards (ask Nivek), - and that's just a quick look at the Twin Like category!!!

Research research research then DEMO DEMO DEMO then buy!