Stance Setting - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2008, 02:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Swoogles

Default Stance Setting

Alright, I've been snowboarding a couple of times on rented boards and I finally got my own board in today, now I'm trying to decide what stance I should go with. Should I start out with both facing slightly forwards? Any advice is good.

I have a K2 Select 162 Wide, will only be using it for freestyle occasionally, mainly just riding down the mountain for now.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2008, 02:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

It's allllll up to you But here are some guidelines.

Most people prefer a duck stance(front binding forward, back binding backwards) if you ride switch at all. I ride 15* front and -12* back. A real good place to start would be something like 15/-3. Lots of people ride 15/-9. You'll just need to play around with it and see what feels comfortable.

Secondly, you need to look at your stance width. Most prefer just a hair wider than shoulder width. You can measure it by measuring the distance between the center of your bindings. I set mine around 23.5" but I'm pretty tall, so that feels good for me. You might want something more narrow. Wider = more stability, narrower = easier to intiate turns.
scottland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Gustov

i think most people start off with something like 15/0 or 15/-6. that's 15 degrees front foot forward and 0 or -6 in the back. having both feet forward is more for freeride. i started off at 15/-6, and have since then moved to 15/-12.

to find a good stance width i jumped in the air and looked at my width when i landed. it was a little wider than my shoulders, which is what everyone usually recommends.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Josh

When I first started riding I went with a pretty aggressive regular stance (left foot forward, back foot more towards neutral). This season I've been going slightly duck-footed (both feet pointing outwards) and I love it. Being more neutral is much better for park riding imo because it's easier to spin and do your tricks.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
AAA

If you want to mainly do directional freeriding (especially if you want to carve turns instead of skidding them), don't have much interest in the park or little spinny tricks, and if you have a freeride board with stiffness above a wet noodle, you'd do very well to crank your bindings to higher angles. Anything from 35-45 Front and 33-43 Rear would be good. Higher angles will work better for higher speeds and directional freeriding for a few reasons. First, it will eliminate boot overhang, so when you set the board on edge, you can rail the board at at high angle to the snow without your boots hitting the snow and tossing you into oblivion. Second, the higher angles balance out the ease at which heelside turns can be made in comparison to toesides. And finally, higher angles provide added support to higher edge angles and carving, especially at higher speeds, since they take advantage of your ankles' natural lateral stiffness. (ie; You'll have much LESS uncontrollable ankle flop and chatter at higher speeds and edge angles, and MORE control.) At some point with increased angles, you'll begin to loose some stability and leverage with soft boots, especially on wider boards, so the angles above are optimum in softboots. (Alpine riders usually run with much steeper angles yet, since they have more support in hardboots and generally ride narrower boards.)

For freeriding, keep your stance narrower than what the park guys are using. (18-21" is fine depending on what suits you. Maybe add another inch if you ride powder.) Going much wider facilitates spinning and jumps, but kills the flex pattern of your board which is what you want to retain for freeriding.

Also adjust your highbacks to have a fair bit of forward lean, to help you maintain a low center of gravity on the board, and provide better support for heelsides turns.

IMO, these higher binding angles are underutilized by most freeriders.

Last edited by AAA; 02-25-2008 at 05:39 PM.
AAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
solontheduc

I played with stance for two seasons now and have finally settled in. I'm 6'-4", and go -12 in back and +21 in front with 24" in between, both slightly back on the board for all mountain riding. I like it.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
donnieDarko

thanks for info guys,

what is purpose of the binding ankle support adjustment(up and down adjsutment - moving your leg between a vertical position and a tilted position)?
Old 04-17-2008, 07:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
donnieDarko

hi snowolf,

thanks,

in regards to the binding holes on my board:
000000 000000
000000 000000

where would be a beneficial place to put my bindings on if i am riding in firm snow (in OZ) - more towards the back or front?
Old 04-17-2008, 07:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Simply^Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnieDarko View Post
hi snowolf,

thanks,

in regards to the binding holes on my board:
000000 000000
000000 000000

where would be a beneficial place to put my bindings on if i am riding in firm snow (in OZ) - more towards the back or front?
I think you are referring to the stance width, that depends on your height a good page is this one Everything about snowboard stance