Never Summer Proto CT or Lib Tech T. Rice Pro? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2011, 09:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Never Summer Proto CT or Lib Tech T. Rice Pro?

I know I'll get flamed for asking, but what do you guys think? I'm going to put an order in for one of these two boards by the end of the week.

I got to demo the Evo and SL last year at Winter Park and love the NS brand. I currently ride a skate banana on most days so I'm also familiar with Lib Tech.

What's the good word?
Ride Society 157 - Ride Beta MVMT - 32 Ultralight
M3 Discord 155.5 - Drake SuperSport - Northwave Decade SL
maybeitsjustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2011, 09:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

How has your Skate Banana held up and why are you looking for a new deck?
Old 10-19-2011, 10:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Skate Banana was holding up great until the last day of last season. I came out of lunch at the lodge to find it on the ground. It had fallen from a rack (more likely dropped by some jerk) and landed directly on the edge along the nose of the board. The edge completely separated from the board--about 4 inches in length. It would be a pretty costly repair, and it was noticeably squirrely when I rode it for the rest of the day that afternoon.

I've ridden this thing for 3 years so its unfortunate, but a good excuse to look at something new. I will probably get it repaired anyhow, but I'm interested in the R+C and C2BTX shapes--they seem pretty similar.

These two boards in particular also seem similar, shape, all mountain, price, etc, etc.
Ride Society 157 - Ride Beta MVMT - 32 Ultralight
M3 Discord 155.5 - Drake SuperSport - Northwave Decade SL
maybeitsjustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

T.Rice is significantly stiffer and more aggressive.

If you are doing big mountain riding or you are just a really aggressive rider (monster carves, bombing everything, dropping off this and that), go with the T.Rice.

The Proto is a more all-around board. A do everything. If you are an all-mountain freestyle rider, go with the Proto. It's more forgiving than the T.Rice and has more pop. If you like to make the whole mountain your playground with only the occasional aggressive riding, then go with the Proto.

Durability goes to the Proto. That topsheet is bulletproof.

If you want a more aggressive Never Summer board, look into the Heritage. Or perhaps even the Raptor. They aren't true twins though so keep that in mind.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Haven't ridden the the Proto, but own the TRice, and like Leo said, it's pretty stiff. It's what I was looking for, but it is VERY different than a skate bannana. So if you are looking for something similar to what you have now, the proto will be closer. If you are looking for something to compliment the SB, and want something more aggressive, then the TRice might be the better choice, or the other NS boards LEO mentioned. Can't really go wrong though, I've heard nothing but googd things about all the boards mentioned in this thread.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I would say the TRS compares better with the Proto and the Premier compares better with the T.Rice.
djsaad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
I would say the TRS compares better with the Proto and the Premier compares better with the T.Rice.
Yep, that sounds about right...
danm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danm View Post
Yep, that sounds about right...
Premier probably compares more to the Gnu Billy Goat or possibly the Jamie Lynn. T Rice is a true twin with blunted tips. But really stiff, and stable at speed. Honestly, I don't see anything in Never Summer's lineup that compares to it, and there are very few boards out there that do. Maybe the Capita Totally FKn Awesome? Closest thing I could find to compare it to.
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan2011 View Post
Premier probably compares more to the Gnu Billy Goat or possibly the Jamie Lynn. T Rice is a true twin with blunted tips. But really stiff, and stable at speed. Honestly, I don't see anything in Never Summer's lineup that compares to it, and there are very few boards out there that do. Maybe the Capita Totally FKn Awesome? Closest thing I could find to compare it to.
I guess I was being too general, .... totally agree with your detailed assessment as my all mountain ride is a T.Rice 157... (pow board is Mullet 160... but that doesn't really matter in this thread!!!)
danm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan2011 View Post
Small correction....not all the TRice sizes have blunted tips. At least no all 2011, maybe they changed it in 2012. My 161.5 is rounded.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote