k2 raygun weight ranges - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2011, 06:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default k2 raygun weight ranges

Hi everyone,

It's my first post, so I apologize in advance for the long post anything that I might've done wrong.

I started riding last season and basically went every single weekend starting in January and progressed averagely (even made it out to Vail and forced myself to fall all the way down a black diamond). I'm 5'8'', about 145lb and I was using a used Ride DH 151 the whole time, so this year I thought I'd go ahead and buy myself some new gear because I'm essentially balls to the walls addicted and snowboarding is all I think about.

Last month, I went to a local board shop that was having a sale. I went in there looking for a K2 Raygun 153 or 156 but the sales guy in the shop convinced me to buy a 150 because it was like 100 bucks cheaper for last year's model. Getting to the point, the weight ranges for the Raygun are as follows: <150lb for the 150, <150lb for the 153, and 130-210lb for the 156.

My first question is, why would the weight ranges for the 150 and 153 be the same. You'd think that the upper limit for the 153 would be slightly higher. And second, I've actually been trying to GAIN weight since last year and am probably going to break the 150lb mark in a couple of months. Given all of that, do you think there's any issue with me sticking with my 150 board if I go above the suggested weight range, or would it make more sense to get either the 153 or 156? If I have to, I can probably still sell my 150 for the same price that I bought it for.

Sorry again for the long post! Any advice would be helpful!

~inpajamas
inpajamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2011, 10:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inpajamas View Post
Hi everyone,

It's my first post, so I apologize in advance for the long post anything that I might've done wrong.

I started riding last season and basically went every single weekend starting in January and progressed averagely (even made it out to Vail and forced myself to fall all the way down a black diamond). I'm 5'8'', about 145lb and I was using a used Ride DH 151 the whole time, so this year I thought I'd go ahead and buy myself some new gear because I'm essentially balls to the walls addicted and snowboarding is all I think about.

Last month, I went to a local board shop that was having a sale. I went in there looking for a K2 Raygun 153 or 156 but the sales guy in the shop convinced me to buy a 150 because it was like 100 bucks cheaper for last year's model. Getting to the point, the weight ranges for the Raygun are as follows: <150lb for the 150, <150lb for the 153, and 130-210lb for the 156.

My first question is, why would the weight ranges for the 150 and 153 be the same. You'd think that the upper limit for the 153 would be slightly higher. And second, I've actually been trying to GAIN weight since last year and am probably going to break the 150lb mark in a couple of months. Given all of that, do you think there's any issue with me sticking with my 150 board if I go above the suggested weight range, or would it make more sense to get either the 153 or 156? If I have to, I can probably still sell my 150 for the same price that I bought it for.

Sorry again for the long post! Any advice would be helpful!

~inpajamas
What is your riding style? I'm a little lighter than you and stick between 150 and 152
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

A 150 is fine for you and should be easier to whip around. If you're still learning how to link your carves and such a shorter board will make it slightly easier to get the hang of it. A 156 would be more suited for when you get the hang of snowboarding and start charging hills like a mad bastard.

Board length really is about preference and the style of riding you do once you figure out your ideal weight range.
Bayoh is offline   Reply With Quote