warped base of board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
Tez
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
warped base of board

Hey guys,

I just bought a NS revolver and 390 boss bindings. I mounted the binding doing the screws up like I always do, that is, until there tight and then I add a quater turn. I have noticed the base under the bindings is slightly warped, I have never really checked before is this pretty normal? I realise is wont effect the ride just curious.

Thanks in advance
Tez is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 06:16 AM
Veteran Member
 
fattrav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 1,087
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tez View Post
Hey guys,

I just bought a NS revolver and 390 boss bindings. I mounted the binding doing the screws up like I always do, that is, until there tight and then I add a quater turn. I have noticed the base under the bindings is slightly warped, I have never really checked before is this pretty normal? I realise is wont effect the ride just curious.

Thanks in advance
If its just some small inwards dimples in the base, then this can be fairly normal. If its something different, then id like to see photos...

Never Summer SL153 & Atomic Hatchet 159
Burton CO2
Nitro Teams
fattrav is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 07:23 AM
Senior Member
 
jgsqueak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sounds like binding suck to me. Pictures would definitely help.
jgsqueak is offline  
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Tez
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wouldn't call it dimples, when I run my hand along the width of the board where the bindings are it's not perfectly flat, as if it were pull up a little at the disc. You can't see it only feel it.
Tez is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Tez
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
if it is binding suck, which sounds right, is this a major concern and is it from tightening the screws too much?
Tez is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
 
Mr. Polonia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brooklyn, Empire State
Posts: 1,093
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
if u place the tail of your board above your eyes and hold the board parallel to the ground, is this "warpage" JUST where the binding sit? or all along the base from binding to binding? if its the latter, then thats normal.

and also some boards do reveal dimples where the mounting screws are, so that shouldnt be a concern

Without me, my board is useless. Without my board, I am useless
Mr. Polonia is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 10:24 AM
With extra cheese.
 
CheeseForSteeze's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,750
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For your touch, is it dimpled or protruding? Dimpling isn't bad, it's just what happens to the inserts when you tighten bolts in them. If it's not visible but you can feel it, that's normal. If it's protrusions, that's bad. Some binding hardware matched to some boards (Capita Burton combo being chief among them) is incompatible because the bolts are too long for the depth of the inserts. My friend's horrorscope still has bumps visible under the insert packs because of this. He pretty much fucked that board.
CheeseForSteeze is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 01:14 PM
Senior Member
 
jgsqueak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Binding suck is normal. Inserts (the bottom of them) are the closest thing to the base of your board so when you tighten your bindings you are pulling the board up to the binding (rather that pushing the binding down to the board). When you tune/wax your boards, just make sure to loosen the screws a bit so that grinding/scrapping is consistent across the whole base.
jgsqueak is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Tez
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Polonia View Post
if u place the tail of your board above your eyes and hold the board parallel to the ground, is this "warpage" JUST where the binding sit? or all along the base from binding to binding? if its the latter, then thats normal.

and also some boards do reveal dimples where the mounting screws are, so that shouldnt be a concern

It's where the bindings sit not in between where the rocker is.
Tez is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Tez
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseForSteeze View Post
For your touch, is it dimpled or protruding? Dimpling isn't bad, it's just what happens to the inserts when you tighten bolts in them. If it's not visible but you can feel it, that's normal. If it's protrusions, that's bad. Some binding hardware matched to some boards (Capita Burton combo being chief among them) is incompatible because the bolts are too long for the depth of the inserts. My friend's horrorscope still has bumps visible under the insert packs because of this. He pretty much fucked that board.
It's not protruding, it's not dimpling at the screw but over the base plate and it's not visible... Thanks Cheese
Tez is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome