2012 travis rice w/HP - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 08:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2012 travis rice w/HP

Looking at getting a travis rice this year in a 157. I am 5'10 about 170 lbs. After reading some reviews some people state that turn initiation is somewhat hard on this board because of it's width and that it doesn't have much rocker in it.

For the people that have ridden the board, do you guys think it's pretty hard to get on edge or are people exaggerating a bit? I would call myself an intermediate boarder, I had no issues with a K2 turbo dream, lib trs btx, or banana magic. Do you think there will be much difference with the T.Rice compared to these other boards?
ylnad123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2011, 04:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

need to know you're foot size... as Wired would request, preferably barefoot in millimeters.
danm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylnad123 View Post
Looking at getting a travis rice this year in a 157. I am 5'10 about 170 lbs. After reading some reviews some people state that turn initiation is somewhat hard on this board because of it's width and that it doesn't have much rocker in it.

For the people that have ridden the board, do you guys think it's pretty hard to get on edge or are people exaggerating a bit? I would call myself an intermediate boarder, I had no issues with a K2 turbo dream, lib trs btx, or banana magic. Do you think there will be much difference with the T.Rice compared to these other boards?
it is pretty similar to the TRS and the magic so if you liked those, you'll like the TRice. It is stiffer than the TRS so consider that. I think the stiffness is similar to the magic so that should be a good gauge. The I'm pretty sure the C2BTX on the rice is the same as the TRS so that will tell you how much rocker it has.

I have the TRice from last year in 161.5 and have no problems edge to edge. I like the C2BTX for carving and better float in the powder.

As for the width, like the other the post earlier, that depends on your boot size.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

My cm size is probably 28 but I fit into a 9.5 boot.

Either way I think I am going to stick with my magic again this season and see if anything changes next season with the t.rice. I really want to try a t.rice but don't want to spend the money on it just yet. Not sure if I will really notice that much difference between it and the magic, I just wish the magic had full c2 instead of the wannabe c2.

By the way is anyone else having trouble riding pony lifts with the magic or other btx boards? The board gets really squirmy while riding up pony lifts, just wondering if I am doing something wrong.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Well your foot is plenty big enough for turn initiation on the Rice... not sure about your squirrlyness regarding your magic as I haven't ridden one (157 T.Rice here) but I've read it has the most rocker of any lib board???
Old 10-24-2011, 07:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danm View Post
Well your foot is plenty big enough for turn initiation on the Rice... not sure about your squirrlyness regarding your magic as I haven't ridden one (157 T.Rice here) but I've read it has the most rocker of any lib board???
I think the skate banana has more rocker, the magic has very subtle c2.

Knowing how impulsive I am, chances are I will end up getting the T.Rice at some point this season.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Well, if you like hard charging, jumps and drops you'll love the T.Rice...
Old 10-24-2011, 07:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylnad123 View Post
I think the skate banana has more rocker, the magic has very subtle c2.

Knowing how impulsive I am, chances are I will end up getting the T.Rice at some point this season.
Pretty sure the 2011 Banana Magic has more banana than any other board, 2011 Lib Tech Banana Magic Sneak Peek - YouTube at least according to the Lib Tech rep.

Not trying to prove you wrong just giving some info in case that helps with anything.

From the searching i have done i believe the 2012 magic is listed as a c2 while the 2011 was BTX (i may be wrong but its what i have found on reviews and lib's site) The T Rice was c2 last year and this year also.

Last edited by cjcameron11; 10-24-2011 at 07:29 PM.
cjcameron11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

I gave up on lib tech marketing a long time ago. Every rep and every web page says something different. The lib website lists it as c2, but it's not really c2. Some reps say it has mild c2 but others like this one in the video pretty much say it's full rocker. You never know what you are getting, that is why it is so hard to decide on which lib board to get.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yeah i have to agree i think it is hard to tell whats what, i do know i have ridden the 2012 t rice and i have the 2012 gnu riders choice, i loved them both, they are both very similar boards and i found that the t rice HP has more pop than my Gnu. Not that it helps you as you are looking at the magic. I dont know enough about the magic to compare it but i think you would be excited with the T Rice. I love blunt tipped boards which is one of the main reasons i stuck with the riders choice and sold my t rice.