Toe Drag - GNU Riders Choice 2012 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 10:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Toe Drag - GNU Riders Choice 2012

Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum and wanted to get your thoughts on the following since I have been using a hand me down board last season:

185 pounds - 5'10

GNU Riders Choice 2012 - 157.5
Union Atlas Bindings - L/XL
DC Judge - 10.5

After getting everything configured and bindings installed, I have about 1 inch on both sides of the boot sticking over the board. I adjusted my stance to 18/6. Didn't help much. I am trying to figure out if this is the right setup for me or not. Do I need a wider board? Different boots? Different bindings? Or is this setup ok?

Pics Attached.

Thanks for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1,.jpg (99.8 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (118.6 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (88.9 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by Sideburn; 10-24-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Sideburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2011, 10:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Should be fine. You are supposed to have a little overhang so that may be just right. The easiest way to tell is to tilt your board on it's edge with the boots strapped in an see how extreme the angle has to be before your boot touches the floor. Based on the pics it will take quite a lot for you to have any drag.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks. You are right - it's pretty extreme. I should be fine then.

Another question:
I am not sure if I sized my board right - the board sits between my chin and nose when I don't have my boots on and with my boots on, it's below my chin. Which is the right way to size it?
Old 10-24-2011, 11:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideburn View Post

Another question:
I am not sure if I sized my board right - the board sits between my chin and nose when I don't have my boots on and with my boots on, it's below my chin. Which is the right way to size it?
Please take a photo from under the base with the boots tightly lased and tightly strapped into th ebindings with the boots heel pulled all the way back into the heelcup.

Thanks.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:

Another question:
The size of the board has very little to do with your height and more to do with your weight and what style of riding you are using the board for.

google a snowboard sizing chart to get a general idea, or just post your height, weight and riding style along with the size of the board and you'll get your answer.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks Guys.

See Attached for pics requested - I took a ton of shots including the angles right before the toe and heel meet the floor.

Schmitty - My info:

185 pounds
5'10
10% park and rest just hitting the mountain

The board I got is 157.5 - the hand me down was 158.

I will google it as well to see what comes up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo-1.jpg (98.4 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg photo-2.jpg (85.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg photo-3.jpg (67.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg photo-4.jpg (64.5 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg photo-5.jpg (85.0 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg photo-6.jpg (39.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg photo-7.jpg (56.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (104.8 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by Sideburn; 10-24-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hi,

It is hard to tell from your pictures, but you will want to make sure that your boots (not the bindings) are centerred on the deck. That means an equal amount of toe and heel over the deck. To do this you will need to tightly lace (BOA tighten) your boots an tightly do up the bindings. Both are loose in your photos. You do not have too much overhang. If anything it looks like you are on the too wide side. When you stand on your board barefoot at your stance angles and width are your toes and heels at or over the board's edges?
Old 10-25-2011, 08:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredsport View Post
Hi,

It is hard to tell from your pictures, but you will want to make sure that your boots (not the bindings) are centerred on the deck. That means an equal amount of toe and heel over the deck. To do this you will need to tightly lace (BOA tighten) your boots an tightly do up the bindings. Both are loose in your photos. You do not have too much overhang. If anything it looks like you are on the too wide side. When you stand on your board barefoot at your stance angles and width are your toes and heels at or over the board's edges?
Thanks,

When I stand barefoot at the base of the board, just a few toes go over by .25 inch or so. I am assuming if I stand in my binding stance, they won't go over. I can test that tonight and let you know.

Regarding the boot being centered, I played with this before and my only options are:

A. Toe = 1 inch + Heel = 3/4 inch
B. Toe = 3/4 inch + Heel = 1 inch

That is the best I can do. So I chose A for now.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:44 AM   #9 (permalink)

Also - If I lean my high back by a bit, it seems like my toes come out a lot! I have to have it all the way up, which is how I ride anyway.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Also - If I lean my high back by a bit, it seems like my toes come out a lot! I have to have it all the way up, which is how I ride anyway.
Do you have the slide on your discs allowing for edge to edge adjustment or tip to tail? The highback should not effect this at all unless your heel is not fully back in the heelcup, which it is not in your photos. That is where the tightly laced boot and tightly fastened bindings become important.