Tall Guy Setup - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 02:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tall Guy Setup

I'm a rather tall guy (6'6" 250Lbs and size 15 boots), I am going to need a WIDE board and a pretty long one to deal with my weight too. I'm trying to decide if I should spend time looking online for a board or just go to a local shop to find gear. If anyone has recomendations on what to do I would greatly appreciate it. Let me know if there is any other information I should provide.
therandmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2011, 02:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

how much can you spend? GEt a custom made board if you have the resources.

Unity Unity Snowboards 11/12

ingenous Igneous Skis

Venture also has some wide widths

size 15 is big, go to a REALLY good boot fitter, even a skier boot fitter, ask to be fitted for snowboard boots.
Sick-Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

I don't want to spend a fortune on the board since this is going to be my first setup. I guess boots is a good place to start.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sounds like I really need to start with the right boot though, then I can find a board that is going to work.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by therandmc View Post
I don't want to spend a fortune on the board since this is going to be my first setup. I guess boots is a good place to start.
Yes, first thing first.

You can use risers too if you need to.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have size 15 boots and have used the Burton Ruler's the last couple seasons. They've very comfortable, and with Burton's shrinkage tech the exterior footprint is that of a Size 14 boot -- every little bit helps when you have feet our size.

As for boards, yep, wide is definitely the way to go. I'd also recommend a duck stance (-15/15 or similar) as this will reduce the amount of heel/toe overhang.

Finally, yep, you'll have some degree of overhang, but for instance I ride a 169 Burton Custom with the above stance setup and my overhang on the heel/toe edges is roughly 1.5-2cm each side.
howeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by howeh View Post
I have size 15 boots and have used the Burton Ruler's the last couple seasons. They've very comfortable, and with Burton's shrinkage tech the exterior footprint is that of a Size 14 boot -- every little bit helps when you have feet our size.

As for boards, yep, wide is definitely the way to go. I'd also recommend a duck stance (-15/15 or similar) as this will reduce the amount of heel/toe overhang.

Finally, yep, you'll have some degree of overhang, but for instance I ride a 169 Burton Custom with the above stance setup and my overhang on the heel/toe edges is roughly 1.5-2cm each side.
Many people with "Size" 15, in street shoes, end up being different in snowboard boots (usually much smaller). If the boot fitter does not measure your foot on the machine, leave immediately and flip them off on the way out.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I have a question that is somewhat related to the topic. How much overhang is too much? I have about an inch toe and heel.
Tech420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick-Pow View Post
Many people with "Size" 15, in street shoes, end up being different in snowboard boots (usually much smaller). If the boot fitter does not measure your foot on the machine, leave immediately and flip them off on the way out.
Oh, I completely agree... getting your feet measured and having boots properly fitted is definitely the best idea. I was just providing an example of boots that do exist which might be a viable option for the guy.
howeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by howeh View Post
Oh, I completely agree... getting your feet measured and having boots properly fitted is definitely the best idea. I was just providing an example of boots that do exist which might be a viable option for the guy.
Yeah, the new Rulers are sweet. I was piggybacking on your message!