Intermediate rider, first time board buyer needs advice - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 04:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6
Default Intermediate rider, first time board buyer needs advice

Hi, so i'm looking into getting my own board for the upcoming season as i have gotten tired of the crappy rental boards. I guess i would categorize myself as an intermediate rider, Single Black diamond is about my limit, and as far as the park goes i can do some basic jumps but that's about it, i do plan on in the future trying to get a little more into the park game.

Anyway I'm planning on buying a board but since i have never bought one before i am in need of some advice.
I have been looking into the burton love series
Snowboard Burton Love 2010/2011 :: Snowboard and ski catalog SnowDB.com
and i like those, but i don't know enough about the technical aspects of snowboards to really know if that is what i should buy...

Ideally i'm looking for something that can do everything well, an all arounder, something decent in ice/ slush as we don't have the best of conditions on some days in New York. And preferably under $450 or so Also if someone could point me in the direction of some good bindings, or a good package deal that would be great..

Thanks!!!
camaross427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-24-2011, 04:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: VT
Posts: 347
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaross427 View Post
Hi, so i'm looking into getting my own board for the upcoming season as i have gotten tired of the crappy rental boards. I guess i would categorize myself as an intermediate rider, Single Black diamond is about my limit, and as far as the park goes i can do some basic jumps but that's about it, i do plan on in the future trying to get a little more into the park game.

Anyway I'm planning on buying a board but since i have never bought one before i am in need of some advice.
I have been looking into the burton love series
Snowboard Burton Love 2010/2011 :: Snowboard and ski catalog SnowDB.com
and i like those, but i don't know enough about the technical aspects of snowboards to really know if that is what i should buy...

Ideally i'm looking for something that can do everything well, an all arounder, something decent in ice/ slush as we don't have the best of conditions on some days in New York. And preferably under $450 or so Also if someone could point me in the direction of some good bindings, or a good package deal that would be great..

Thanks!!!
Most of the people on this board will probably direct you to a non burton board.
What size are you looking for?
I have brand new Flux TT30 on sale right now in the FS forum.
legends6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6
Default

oh sorry i forgot to list my size lol, ideally i'm looking for something between a 155 -158, i'm about 5 foot 11 and 160lb's if that matters
camaross427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 303
Default

153 or 156 Gnu Carbon credit ($400) or 152-155 Ride Machete ($430)

Biggest you need is a 156... no bigger

whats your boot size? those should be the first thing you buy

someone else chime in, cuz I don't know anything about arbor boards, I also hear the Blacklist and Westmark are very nice budget boards though?

Last edited by notter123; 10-24-2011 at 07:55 PM.
notter123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6
Default

My boot size is 10
camaross427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6
Default

Hmm that ride machete looks pretty nice..

also, just out of curiosity, what is the problem with burton boards?
camaross427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: York, PA
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaross427 View Post
Hmm that ride machete looks pretty nice..

also, just out of curiosity, what is the problem with burton boards?
Nothing is wrong with them, they are just over hyped and there are way better boards for the money, check out forum's boards as well!
orangeandmaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger
 
david_z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Detroit suburbs
Posts: 3,398
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by notter123 View Post
153 or 156 Gnu Carbon credit ($400) or 152-155 Ride Machete ($430)

Biggest you need is a 156... no bigger
Either of these would be a good choice. In NY state, I'd probably lean towards the Gnu because of the magnetraction edges, but the Machete is also a really nice board at that price.
__________________

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 48

Mt. Brighton - 13
Hawk Island - 6
Mt. Holly - 5
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Boyne Mountain - 2
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Cannonsburg - 1
Urban - 1
Slackcountry - 1
Nub's Nob - 1
Sugar Mountain, NC - 1
Beech Mountain, NC - 1
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums