New boards for 8 & 10 yr. olds - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 09:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New boards for 8 & 10 yr. olds

I would like to buy my two sons new gear. Last year was there first time boarding. 10yr. is about 80 lbs. 8yr. is 90 lbs. Both are 4'7". The 10yr. is more athletic and will probably be hitting small jumps/park, while the 8 just plays it safe on the slopes. I would like to be right around $200 for each board. On my search I found Burton Hero Smalls 134, Rossignol Alias Amptek 135, Nitro Ripper 132,137, Flow Team Micron 135, K2 Vandal 132,137. Ah...for the 8yr. I definitely want a forgiving/catch free board. I would like to get Gnu B.Real or Backdoor bindings, or Flows (easy in/out). Any advice is appreciated. Thx
NJtuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2011, 09:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned!

unless you have someone to resell to at a good price (pretty sure there are youth programs for that too) or dont care about money, get them the cheapest one imo. you are looking at real brands, not fisher price or nerf, should be good to go. kids don't need nuances, magnetraction or any other nonsense. if it has bindings, metal edges and a base u can wax, those lil monsters are ready to shred.

its kinda like bikes, us old guys need all the advantages to not get hurt, my dad rides a ton and has a custom made titanium bike. i'm sure you could get anything for your kids but are they going to remember the board? just dont get them a burton backhill

Last edited by snowklinger; 10-24-2011 at 09:50 PM.
snowklinger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Anything cheap and forgiving for sure, since both of them will outgrow there boards really fast I wouldnt even spend 200 on each, go to a used sports store and buy something around 100 or 150 bucks thats in decent condition and fits them half decent, they wont be able to tell the difference between that and a brand new 200-300 dollar kids board
notter123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Here you go: Ride LowRide for $85. My oldest son is 10 years old, 90 lbs. and 4'7" tall I just got him this board (the 135) from that shop. It has Ride's LowRize rocker (basically flat between the bindings, slight rocker towards the tips if I recall) so it should be fairly forgiving. My son is going into his third season and loves jumps and jibs, but rides the whole mountain as well. Of course, I can't say how this board is yet since our season won't start for a week or two, but as others have said, kids are pretty adaptable so I'm not worried.
herzogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Thanks Herzogone! I just purchased (2) Ride Lowride 135's $85. each, (2) K2 Vandal bindings Med. $75. each, and K2 Vandal Boa boots $75. I searched around and nobody comes close to Christy Sports leftover prices! Jared (from Christy Sports) was very helpful with the purchase. Great Deal!!!
Old 10-25-2011, 02:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

only mistake you may have made was buying them boots online, i know they are kids and wont care as much about the fit, but if they dont fit at all then it may turn them off of the sport, lets hope they fit!
Old 10-25-2011, 02:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

yeah, for the price, I had to give it a shot. They do have 2 removable shims so he can grow into them. They also have a 30 day return policy. I only bought the boots for my younger son as my 10yr. old has boots. I think I'm more excited then when I bought my own board last year! lol
Old 10-25-2011, 03:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

i guess its worth a shot then eh... surprised there is still a return policy on gear thats on clearence... never get that in canada! haha
Old 10-25-2011, 08:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned!

rock some pics of your family setup when you get it!

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...12-season.html
snowklinger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtuna View Post
Thanks Herzogone! I just purchased (2) Ride Lowride 135's $85. each, (2) K2 Vandal bindings Med. $75. each, and K2 Vandal Boa boots $75. I searched around and nobody comes close to Christy Sports leftover prices! Jared (from Christy Sports) was very helpful with the purchase. Great Deal!!!
Cool, glad I could help a little. Sounds like a good combo there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
rock some pics of your family setup when you get it!

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...12-season.html
I'm going to do this as well, just waiting for my own new board to arrive
herzogone is offline   Reply With Quote