New freeride board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2011, 02:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New freeride board

Hello!

I want a two board quiver to use on the mountains (Alps usually).
Last year I tried to find an all-mountain board and ended up with a Turbo Dream. But Iím no totally happy with it. As I read somewhere, it isnít bad at anything but ainít really good either. And thatís exactly how I feel about it. Ok, on powder it felt really good and that was what I was looking for, but on piste I wanted little more. Maybe I need more time on it or Iím too used to cambered boards on piste. But I feel I want to include my 157 Uninc in my travel quiver. It is all I need from park to piste and I love it in pipe. It ainít the best for rails, but who cares.

So I want a freeride board to complete the quiver and right now boards on my list are:
Burton Barracuda
Capita Charlie Slasher
Jones Hovercraft and Flagship
YES Pic Your Line
Or some other I don't remember

I believe barracuda and charlie are similar boards, charlie being cheaper and barracuda being able to use my uninc bindings. Also I find Flagship and YES similar, being better on harder conditions that the first two. And lastly the hovercraft, which is pure powder board, but itís said to be really good on hard pack. I donít have any favorite yet and I like all of theme. If I had to choose right now, I would probably go for the barracuda because of the EST. But basically everything is wide open.

I havenít heard anything but good about any of the boards, so Iím not too afraid Iím going to disappoint. But because I probably wonít be able to test any of theme, I have to rely on others opinions. So I will appreciate any help.

So, has someone any experience of some of the boards and could help me. If you want to compare, boards I have own or tested enough to remember are: 09 Uninc 157, 08 Uninc 158, 08 Malolo 162, 09 Rome Anthem 162, 11 Sherlock 160, 10 K2 Turbo Dream 159, older Icon Resistance(?) 168 and some older boards.

And my stats are: 180 cm, 82 kg and started snowboarding mid 90ís. Usually I like to go faster than slower and I donít need (want) the easiest board to ride.

Thank you for your help!
snowball2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2011, 11:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

what happened to the Sherlock? Sweet design.

Barracuda is made in China, yes that is a fact.

Sweet board, Directional rocker, pretty much a noodle, Pow specific IMO.

Cambered Malolo would fit the bill for you.

Hovercraft is pretty wide and very slight tip rocker. More flat with late rise tip.

Flagship rides REALLY good, a bit harsh with not much dampening, but the best free ride deck out of your list IMO.

Charlie Slasher is pretty cool POW specific IMO, directional rocker, kinda flat though, and lots of taper.

From your list for a free ride board, the Flagship, but I would recommend a Never Summer Summit or Legacy if you can get them over there in EURO land.

Capita BSOD also is amazing. Rode my Speed Tribe today for my first day of the season.. Camber is fun ripping around. Pow day tomorrow, I will stick with it.

Last edited by Sick-Pow; 10-25-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Sick-Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

If you want a flagship but worried about the damping checkout Rossignol Experience. Same shape but damper and more pronounced Magne
skip11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Are you looking for Pow or Freeride? They are now two very different categories.

Pow, Charlie is hard to beat at the price and shape.
Freeride, Ride Highlife UL. Damp but energetic, great snap, smooooooth through a turn, and holds an edge like a champ.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

I didn't get to test the sherlock until I had already got the turbo dream. I liked the ride, but didn't find it too much different from the TD. And for a two board set, it isn't enough different from the Uninc either.

I would like to have board like fish or hovercraft. And when I have to pay for it, I choose hovercraft. The problem is when the conditions aren't the best, do I have to step on to the Uninc on those days or would I still be able to ride the hovercraft.
With a board like flagship or PYL I wouldn't have to worry about that. Charlie and barracuda are just something in between, more to the soft stuff though.

And yes, I know it's more about me deciding do I want a pow or freeride board. And the more I think about riding in a couloir the more I'm leaning towards wanting a stiffer freeride board on my feet. But it doesn't take away the wanting of a pure pow board.

Thanks for the input!
Old 10-28-2011, 02:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

I think right now my choices pretty much are to keep the TD and get a Charlie/Barracuda/Hovercraft to go with that or get a PYL/Flagship/Experience to go with the Uninc.

When I'm back home riding park/pipe/groomers I pick my Uninc every time. (The Anthem was a killer on groomers and hard pack though, but it needs little bit fixing right now)

And if it's true what they say about PYL at the good ride ("The YES Pick Your Line is pretty much un-sinkable and a serious challenger as one of our favorite surf style powder boards out there for 2012"), it really feels like a good choice (not saying others wouldn't be).