Board for jumoing and flat trick for a pre-intermediate - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2011, 09:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Board for jumoing and flat trick for a pre-intermediate

Hi all!

I have been riding for a year on hard snowboard and I learnt to ride quite okay. However this season I would like to change my setup for something good for jumping and performing flat tricks. I have been jumping a little and this is definitely IT for me and I really would like to learn some tricks but, beside my skill is little, my previous board was too hard for even trying.

Do you know any good boards for a begginner to try some jumping and tricks? I would also like to buy only one but good board so if it could also ride on a slope a little it wouldn'e be bad.

I have knee problems so I will try to get last years ride deltas as I read that their amortisation is really good. If you know any better I would also take some advice. Some other guy told me that better would be Flux TT30. What do you think?

Info about me:
Weight: 174 lbs
Boot size: 10.5
Riding style: as in question
Age 27
budget cheaper - better, max 400$
Your location of riding - Europe

I was looking on many snowboards but the problem for me is that, if the boards are for intermediete/expert and most of them are, will I be able to ride on them. As I said I want to learn to jump and do tricks, so I am really beginner in this.
Secondly, most of the freestyle boards is great for park but nothing said about jumping on them. Or the other way around.

1) I would really like to get NeverSummer Evo, but it is too expensive for me.
2) I could get Signal Park 10/11 on sale, but as I said, there is nothing about jumping with this board. I assmu it is great to perform tricks. But it is also said it is not for beginners.
3) Also thought about Endeavor Color. It is also quite expensive, but affordable.
4) Aslo took a look on few Bataleon boards. Their technology seems great for learning tricks, but I heard that it is difficult to land.
5) I wanted Rome board a year ago, but I heard that quality of new boards is worse then before, so I skipped them.

As I said before I would like to have only one board and for example Signal Park is very hard to handle when lining straight down. So I guess it is not easy to get kind of board I am looking for if not impossible.

I don't know much about Burton, Lib Tech, Forum. If you know some other good and not very expensive board I would appreciate it. I don't have to buy new model, I can go with 10/11 on some sail or even older.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by ride.inc; 10-25-2011 at 11:27 AM.
ride.inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2011, 12:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I say go with Bataleon. Haven't had any problems landing on mine, but I don't spend a whole lot of time in the park. It is ridiculously easy to do ground tricks on one. i have the 08 ET and it is great for what you want to do.
crazyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

It depends, how big are the jumps you're gonna be hitting?
ThunderChunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderChunky View Post
It depends, how big are the jumps you're gonna be hitting?
Not big generally I was jumping last year from "hills" avout 1 meter tall. Even if I will get better I would expect slightly bigger jumps like 2, maybe 3 meters in a year or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyface View Post
I say go with Bataleon. Haven't had any problems landing on mine, but I don't spend a whole lot of time in the park. It is ridiculously easy to do ground tricks on one. i have the 08 ET and it is great for what you want to do.
I think Bataleon might be good too. I wanted to buy it, but some negative opinions got me hisitating. It looks like good board for a beginner because the edges are probably hard to catch. I will check some Bataleons when I get home. I think I can get last years airobic, fun.kink and some others in reasonable price.
crazyface you said you don't ride much in the park. So what did you ride mainly on your bataloen?

Last edited by ride.inc; 10-25-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Land of the Potato

the board really does not matter at this point. jumping and doing tricks all comes down to rider skill and learning. Also boards do not say "good for jumping" it will say something like freestyle, or park. You are just going to want to look for a board that is multi directional (you can ride switch) and that is flexy, and says it is good for freestyle/park. After that it does not really matter what you get as long as it is in your price range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredLife View Post
do they even make chaps with asses?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
I think they call them pants
IdahoFreshies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Check out flow options for budget sticks. 2011's are still available, and cheap.

Arbor boards start out cheaper. $420. Is that in your budget? I narrowed down to Arbor Westmark vs. NS Evo. Also there is the blacklist.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride.inc View Post
Not big generally I was jumping last year from "hills" avout 1 meter tall. Even if I will get better I would expect slightly bigger jumps like 2, maybe 3 meters in a year or two.

I think Bataleon might be good too. I wanted to buy it, but some negative opinions got me hisitating. It looks like good board for a beginner because the edges are probably hard to catch. I will check some Bataleons when I get home. I think I can get last years airobic, fun.kink and some others in reasonable price.
crazyface you said you don't ride much in the park. So what did you ride mainly on your bataloen?
Alright I was jw cause if you're hitting like 45+ jumps then you're gonna want a camber. But like these guys are saying. It really about rider skill.
ThunderChunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I take my Evil Twin everywhere. I do take it through the park to hit small jumps, but I spend most of my time all over the mountain on black diamonds. There is some chatter/instability at high speeds compared to my Lib Tech TRS, but it is manageable.

The ET is so easy to ride switch with the TBT, I'd imagine that it would help you get better if you still aren't that great.

The only times I prefer to ride my TRS are on ice, powder, or if I'm bombing runs.
crazyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for all advice guys.

So I narrowed down to few boards which won't destroy my budget. Unfortunately Arbors 2011 are all sold out here, 2012 are too expensive. So here is what I got:
- Bataleon Evil Twin 2011 , sizes 155, 157
- Bataleon Bataleon Fun.Kink 2011, size 157
- FLOW Era 2011, sizes 152, 155
- FLOW Quantum 2011, size 152

Sizes are in centimeters. Some other boards I can buy cheap but have small idea about:
- Forum The Recon, s. 153, 156
- Santa Cruz Deathgod, s. 156
- Santa Cruz Screaming Hand, s. 155, 157

I don't know which size will be good for me. I heard that FS/park board should be smaller than normally. Is that true? If that so then 157s might be too long, I was riding 158 last season and the board was hard. What do you think?

About the bindings - do you think it is worth to buy expensive one like delta or tt30 or should I go with cheaper, in example ride LX because I won't even feel the difference?
Old 10-25-2011, 08:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
With extra cheese.

I personally would go Era 155 given your stats. Failing that, ET 155 if you like TBT Camber.
CheeseForSteeze is offline   Reply With Quote