First Board purchase - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2011, 04:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default First Board purchase

It was a dark and stormy night when I first began looking for a board, now in I have given up trying to navigate my way blindly though dogfunk and random websites and have started looking around for some help.
I am a beginner-intermediate, maybe(not really sure how to classify myself)? I have been riding in the winter for several years now going for about 2 weeks average a year. I have gotten to the point that I can ride most paths on the slopes and have begun trying to go down harder off the road stuff but I'm weak on jumps and anything more than bunny hops and ollies cause me to fall).

However I'm trying to get into park stuff. I have always been hesitant to go on jumps and rails especially since I know a guy who got paralyzed but this year I plan to mostly hit the park starting with small jumps and boxes hopefully moving up to bigger jumps (and halfpipes if I find them) after my marathon session this year (maybe try rails but I have no idea). I am looking for a good park board but I want a board that I can use to ride the terrain with my buddies and go off track whenever I feel like it.

My stats are
6'6"
230 lbs
size 14 with socks
19 so I'm not growing
I have about 500 bucks to spend (or more) but I'm not looking to just burn money.
I'm going to be riding mammoth, big bear, and hopefully mountain high (if anyone knows what that it in SoCal).

I've been looking around and Im thinking 165w. I like the Burton Honcho and the K2 Shogun ray. However everytime I seem to think that I have a clue on shopping for a board something new comes up. I've looked over the FAQ and that helped and done a bunch or research but I feel incredibly lost I would probably classify shopping for a board the most frustrating thing I've done in a long time.

Thanks
BMRMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2011, 04:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quit snowboarding and start practicing the linebacker position with those stats! Sheesh!

At that weight the force of impact would be high. Look at some body armor if you're worried (I am, so I'm investing in either the spine protection or a full on pressure suit, I don't do anything crazy but can't afford any downtime).
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm not stocky enough... And I'm too white to play basketaball.

I have a new philosophy to get over the fear, my theory is close my eyes and go for it. Actually gritting my teeth is probably better than closing my eyes.
I know how to take a fall so I'm not too worried. I might get an ass pad because my ass always takes a pounding on the slopes (no homo), but I've never heard of spine protection.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRMike View Post
I'm not stocky enough... And I'm too white to play basketaball.

I have a new philosophy to get over the fear, my theory is close my eyes and go for it. Actually gritting my teeth is probably better than closing my eyes.
I know how to take a fall so I'm not too worried. I might get an ass pad because my ass always takes a pounding on the slopes (no homo), but I've never heard of spine protection.
Well that's the part that can paralyze your ass, no pun intended (ok it was). Fall on your ass it hurts. Fall on your spine you might never walk again. I know, hyperbolic but that's the point
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

Well I'm not planning on going nuts just yet so the pads can wait. I don't want to end up spending too much on pads and all the other fancy equipment.

So does anyone have any suggestions on a board? Am I really doomed to being too big for the park?
Old 10-26-2011, 10:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

A proto ct wide should work or if you want something that might be a tad stiffer you could look at the riders choice wide.
djsaad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

Well this is a bit late. I've been looking into getting the proto ctx and I was wondering, the biggest size they come in is 160 but is it ok if the board is smaller than 165w which seems to be my size?
Old 11-16-2011, 04:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

It would be ok to downsize if you had more experience. As a beginner, I'd say go with the full 165 W if you can find it. It'll give you more effective edge and feel more stable.

just my 2 cents. At that height/weight...I wouldn't go too short. Even a 163-164 would be noticeably more stable.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:38 AM   #9 (permalink)

Well about being a beginner, I feel that I'm mostly beginner on jumps and tricks. I've always been pretty afraid of jumps. I can handle downhill runs pretty much all the downhills the mountains have with exception of double blacks and moguls(tried once never again), and it might be fun to add some challenge on going down black diamonds. Unfortunately I don't have too much experience on different board so I can't tell how much of an effect they will have on my riding. But taking from longboarding, I go short for tricks and longer for bombing. I know that they are very different but I feel that the basic concept might be similiar.

I want to hit the terrain park now and I'm worried that a full size board for me might end up being big and unwieldy. I'm looking for that control a smaller board might give me. If the size change is anything similar to skating then I feel like I could go down a size. But I'm worried that the size difference might be truly dramatic and screw with my riding more than I expect. I plan my downhill riding to be limited to keeping up with my friend and not catching an edge (which I won't do unless the shorter board truly is much harder to ride then I thought), who are all pretty much either first time or second time riding (one of whom I actually taught to ride).

So what I can tell if I stick to the terrain park and don't try to do any black diamonds outside my ability I should be fine with a shorter board? Basically I want to go for the 160 but I'm worried that the size difference might screw with me and I understand your point I just want some clarification as to how severe the loss will be if I shorten my board. Thanks
Old 11-16-2011, 12:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
The Rooster King

i heard you need a kevlar vest to ride at Mt. High.... don't wear red or blue homie
ShredLife is offline   Reply With Quote