A New Board, Profile & Question - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2011, 10:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default A New Board, Profile & Question

Hi All…. Been riding for a while but really got back in the mix last year after a bit of a hiatus. Decided to update my gear this season and went out and purchased a new stick.. the Salamon Man’s Board 159. Got a question regarding size given the boards profile.

For way of background.. 5-8, 190, not fat (though I could lose 15 and be much more solid), as a kid I was always one of those that had to shop in the “husky” section. My old board was another Salamon.. a Definition 160. I have a pretty bum back knee (a couple surgeries) but can still manage pretty well out there. At this age and stage I stay out of the park… like to go fast and turn, pow when im out west, can’t really deal with kickers anymore but love popping off lips and rounds.

The Definition is in great shape still but was getting a bit tough for me to throw around out there by the end of the day.. its super stiff and definitely a bit heavy, traditional camber. Last year towards the end of a day I caught an edge worse than I probably ever have in my life.. on a cat track no less.

Was looking for something that might be a bit more forgiving but still allow me to charge. My question is.. having never ridden one of these new fangled boards, will the 159 feel much shorter since the effective edge is reduced with the Rocker-Camber-Rocker profile? Should I have rolled with a 161?
SnowRock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Well the name does the boards justice. It is a manly board. The rocker profile makes it quicker edge to edge and it will float easier in pow, but on edge it still takes muscle to work it right.

With a bum knee you better be riding canted bindings. If not, they will make a big difference for you.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote