Traveling with your snowboard gear? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2008, 08:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Gryfon19

Default Traveling with your snowboard gear?

So I'm curious how everyone travels (via plane) with their snowboard and gear? Do you have a padded bag that carries your board and boots like me? Do you stuff snowboard clothing in there to save space? Do you worry about your bindings getting bent if you leave them on the board? I want to hear how everyone travels!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2008, 09:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
quicksilver1689

yeah i got a nice padded dc boardbag, i usually wrap cheap beach towels around the board to give it a little more protection. Ive seen some of those dudes at the airport hucking luggage around so make sure u get it proteced.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
livelyjay

I have a Dakine bag and never wrap my board. I pack the boots by the toe and heel side and the rest of my gear inbetween the bindings. The board has never seen damage from the luggage chuckers.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver1689 View Post
Ive seen some of those dudes at the airport hucking luggage around so make sure u get it proteced.

they arent called "throwers" for nothing.

i have a padded burton bag. board, boots and all gear (helmet, gloves, base layers) go in there. havnt had a problem yet.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

slightly OT question...SierraSnowboard has these two bags
Ride Bags Ride Unforgiven Board Sleeve
Ride Bags Ride Blackened Board Bag

Was wondering if all I do is local stuff, not really any plane trips (yet), should I go for the sleeve or the padded one? Padding is a plus (as is the strap), but I'm not sure if its even necessary, as when I drive the boards in the car and doesn't take too much abuse...
Minger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Gryfon19

I would say that unless you are traveling on a plane or something like that then you don't need a padded bag. In fact, if you're traveling only in the car you still don't need one.

If you want to buy a padded bag then wait until the season is over and try to pick one up at a good price. As long as you're not flying anywhere with your board in the near future then it's probably the way to go.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

no flying yet. just my trusty thule rack and my travel bag. i take 4hour rides to vermont every weekend.
apintojr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
siberianmist

i have a dakine bag and my board has always been fine. anytime i fly out of MSP to someplace like Denver or Whistler, they always put peoples ski/thrasher equipment in a seperate place from all other luggage. Consequently it takes even longer to get your luggage when you get off the place.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
jo.vongchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryfon19 View Post
So I'm curious how everyone travels (via plane) with their snowboard and gear? Do you have a padded bag that carries your board and boots like me? Do you stuff snowboard clothing in there to save space? Do you worry about your bindings getting bent if you leave them on the board? I want to hear how everyone travels!
On my commutes to Colorado via plane, I travel with my snowboarding bag with all my crap stuffed inside- boots, bindings (but unstrapped to the board, just kind of laying flat on top of my board), and my apparell wrapped around my board. My bag is not really padded at all, but my jacket and pants and such give it enough to not damage the board. Also, depending on where you travel, they will have special luggage claim sections for people's skis and snowboards so the likelihood of damage is minimal.

If I'm just commuting a few hours to go boarding then I use my Yakima rack on top of my car. Saves so much time and hassle of a snowboarding bag.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Gryfon19

Do you leave your bindings attached to the board inside the board bag or remove them and store them elsewhere while traveling by air?