Help me pick a size - Proto CT - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2011, 10:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help me pick a size - Proto CT

Another what size to get thread..... I've picked out my board (Proto CT), boots and bindings, just need to pick the size. I'm between 6' and 6'1" and 170-175lbs with a 10.5 boot. I ride pretty much everything (probably 30% park, 35% groomed, hard pack, soft pack and 35% all mountain terrain including powder, trees, etc). Some of my buddies and wife included are not very good so I do fine myself playing around on the flatter runs (buttering and such) so I want something playful and fun, but can still handle the bigger stuff when I head out with my other group of buddies. I am having a hard time deciding between the 154 and 157 CT. I like the idea of a shorter board since it still has a long effective edge for trees, buttering and the park, but not sure how the 154 would handle the bigger stuff and powder. Would the 154 be too unstable? Anybody in the same boat that can offer their 2 cents? I ride a 158 cambered board now and its great for freeriding and bombing the groomers, but its not very fun at all in the park or for buttering around (probably cause it is very stiff). It is great in the pipe though, albeit a bit unforgiving. Also with the blunted tips and longer effective edge on the Proto, are you supposed to size down?
sdbadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2011, 10:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Pick the 157. It will ride like a 154. You will get away with riding all mountain at this size board, given your weight height ratio. If your more powder orientated, maybe think about the 160
JVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVee View Post
Pick the 157. It will ride like a 154. You will get away with riding all mountain at this size board, given your weight height ratio. If your more powder orientated, maybe think about the 160
From what I've read the proto rides longer than its actual size. I.e the 154 would ride like a 157 etc, not the other way around.
Tr81006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Resident Snowman

5'10", 150, with 10-10.5 boots. I ride a 154, I think 157 may be a bit better for your weight.
aiidoneus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr81006 View Post
From what I've read the proto rides longer than its actual size. I.e the 154 would ride like a 157 etc, not the other way around.
Yep this is correct. I had a 157 proto and laid it against the wall with my 160 heritage on top and they had the exact same effective edge.

For your case it is really on your preference, I think your right in the middle of the two sizes. I'm 6'1' and 195 pounds and I went to a 157 and it was playful enough and just stable enough when bombing it downhill. Your going to have a hard time finding someone exactly your size and weight but between me and aiidoneus it should give you a good idea where you fit in.
ecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks guys. I'm guessing the 157 would best for me. The 154 has the same effective edge as my current 158 cambered board so I think I could get away with the smaller board, but in the end I'm guessing the 157 would be the most stable and still playful.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

I found this size chart for the 2012 Never Summer boards. Just a rough guideline but it seems a bit odd as it lists my weight as the max recommended for the 157. I'm guessing this chart is done up by evo though and not by NS.

Never Summer Snowboard Size Chart - 2012 | evo
Old 10-27-2011, 10:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

a 154 will ride like a 157 (not the other way around, like someone mentioned above). You really could go either way. I go 210 pounds and I'd split between the 160 and the 157, depending on what I wanted to ride.
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote