First board that is mine... Board and Binding advice? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2008, 02:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Shazkar

Question First board that is mine... Board and Binding advice?

Basic info:
Around 5'6", around 140 lbs, maybe a bit under...
I snowboarded for around 3 or 4 years, not super often though. However, that was a long time ago, and this winter I went snowboarding for the first time in almost 5 years. Luckily, I hadn't forgotten everything, and could get down a blue only falling a couple times.
I live in the New England area, never been out west to board, though I would like to.

So basically I'm a relative beginner with enough experience to survive, but not be good. I want to get back into snowboarding, and I want to buy my own board for once, instead of just renting.

I know that I should go try on boots on my own to see which is best, and I plan to buy some solid boots that fit me well, and won't get those online.

However, since there are some pretty good deals online for boards and bindings... would there be any problem with me getting those online? (Say from places like sierrasnowboard or whiskeymilitia... haha, I want to know what to get just in case there is a really good deal on WM, so I can know whether or not to buy it and won't have to waste time thinking).

So I guess what I need to know is... what should I look for? Any particular suggestions?
And what size board do I want, and should any bindings work for the boots I buy later on?

Now, as for the style of snowboarding I intend do... I guess I would say that I'd do mostly freeride, although once I get a bit better I would not mind trying my hand at jumps and such. A more all around board would be good I guess, since I'm not 100% sure what I want. For the most part I'd intend to be going down the mountain, and not in the park, but I don't want to say that I'd not like to go in the park, because I've never tried it yet and I may like it. Who knows.

I guess... yeah, that's about everything. I don't intend to spend too much money seeing as it's my first board and such.
Thanks in advance then...

EDIT: So, bought a board, and have some questions still... updated post w/questions:
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/39505-post14.html

Last edited by Shazkar; 02-29-2008 at 01:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2008, 02:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Board and binding...I say get em online. Sierra has a good sale now, and WM has its big sale tomorrow apparently.

And if you by any chance have freakishly small feet and would fit in Burton Missions (Small), Dogfunk has em for $35
Minger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Shazkar

Yeah, I was looking at the sale on Sierra and I heard about the sale on WM tomorrow, which was why I made this post today... problem is, I don't even know what size I need. I assume somewhere between 152-154, but I'm hoping you guys could tell me.
The Burton Custom on sierra for 250 seems like a good deal for a good all around snowboard, or so my friend tells me, but I don't know.

Any other suggestions are welcome...

I'll wait on the boots until I can try them on in person. There's a store near my house with some helpful people, so I'll wait till I get back home for spring break and get them then.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
sparty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazkar View Post
The Burton Custom on sierra for 250 seems like a good deal for a good all around snowboard, or so my friend tells me, but I don't know.
That's a helluva deal! If you really want the Custom, I'd jump on that.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Shazkar

Supposing I were to get it, and they have size 154 and 151, which of those two would you recommend for me?

EDIT: Also, they have the Burton Custom X... not worth it for me though, I assume?
What other boards from different brands should I look into? Ideally I'd like to spend under 350, so the Custom for that price looks good, I just don't know what size... nor do I know much about other boards.

Last edited by Shazkar; 02-26-2008 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'd probably say get the 151.

Other boards...Lib Tech DIY second is $170, and the TRice board is $255 as a second...what else...
Minger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Shazkar

I will look into those... also, since they are the same price, Custom vs. Supermodel ?
Old 02-26-2008, 07:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
dbonds

Having recently gone through this myself, I found the following site very useful for your purposes.. Enter in all your information (size, riding style, etc) and it spits our general size recommendations as well as a bunch of examples of boards that would fit the bill.

Snowboard Sizing Guide, Size Calculator

It doesn't give you any anecdotal info about the boards or much to base a value decision on except a link to the-house. Might be something good to play with in advance of the WM madness happening tomorrow though..

Daniel
Old 02-26-2008, 07:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Shazkar

Apparently according to that, 151 is a good length for me...
Maybe I should just go for that Custom. I'll look around a bit more though.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Shazkar

Okay, well... haha, um, I guess I was a bit impatient and saw that there was only one 151 Custom left in stock, so I just went ahead and bought it. For 250, I can't complain.

However, I still need to get bindings... should I wait until after I get my boots for those?