Return the TRS? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 11:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default Return the TRS?

After reading around I am thinking of returning the 2012 trs c2 I just got for the riders choice, just because of the base. Is a TNT base that much worst than a sinistered base? Or am I not really going to notice a difference? Seems like there are people shying away from the TRS because of the TNT base.

Both boards cost the same, and I wouldn't lose any money returning the TRS. I am just not sure if it would really make a difference or not.
djsaad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2011, 11:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

I would want sintered personally, but that "extruded" base is not like extruded of old. Extruded are still fast. You can even wax them and they fly. If it is the same money, then get sintered if you are willing to do the upkeep to maintain a sintered base. Sintered can dry out over the summer etc...more maintenance.
Sick-Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

What do you mean dry out over the summer? Would a wax before going out the next season make it fine again? Or are you supposed to wax it over the summer?
Old 10-28-2011, 11:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
What do you mean dry out over the summer? Would a wax before going out the next season make it fine again? Or are you supposed to wax it over the summer?
Storage wax during the off season. Hot wax, don't scrape.

It Takes more prep to make the sintered base fast. Wax, scrape, brush, scrape again, brush again, cork, brush, cork.

Extruded , just go out and ride.
Sick-Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The difference between sintered and extruded is noticable, but it's not huge. And sintered is really only faster if you do a good job of waxing often.

I'm not sure if the TRS is exactly the same as the RC (just haven't compared real close), but sintered is better than extruded, but it isn't really a deal breaker. More based on your preference. Do you mind waxing everyother time out (if not every time out)? If not, go for the sintered.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I wax about every other time out if not more.

From what I understand a sintered base is more durable. But if they were both freshly waxed would you notice a difference in speed between the extruded and the sintered?

Looking at the specs again the riders choice has a slightly deeper sidecut.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
I wax about every other time out if not more.

From what I understand a sintered base is more durable. But if they were both freshly waxed would you notice a difference in speed between the extruded and the sintered?

Looking at the specs again the riders choice has a slightly deeper sidecut.
I've always heard that extruded bases are a bit more durable, since they're easier to repair if you get a gouge in em, etc. Generally, if you're doing lots of urban/ park jib riding, you're going to want extruded. otherwise, sintered is nice to have. but frankly, with the trs, you wont notice a difference. that base is quick and extremely well made. its a really nice setup
Old 10-28-2011, 12:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Your right, I messed up when writing that. I meant extruded bases are more durable.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
After reading around I am thinking of returning the 2012 trs c2 I just got for the riders choice, just because of the base. Is a TNT base that much worst than a sinistered base? Or am I not really going to notice a difference? Seems like there are people shying away from the TRS because of the TNT base.

Both boards cost the same, and I wouldn't lose any money returning the TRS. I am just not sure if it would really make a difference or not.
I don't think it is a deal breaker. it is really a personal preference based on your tolerance on fixing the base. how hard you ride...etc
I had R.C. last year and has 2012 TRS this year and they are pretty similar but I find that the TRS is a bit smoother - more refined all around. Their shape is also slightly different so they are not the same board. Have you actually ridden the TRS this season? It is a heck of an all mountain do it all board.
The reason you would get a R.C for this year would be for the heel pickle. I think that's more of a difference maker than the type of the base.
legends6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
duh

The TRS has a sintered base. Lib Tech's own website clearly states that ALL of their snowboards have sintered bases on the tech page. If you need more assurance that it is sintered then look no further than the sublimated graphics- extruded bases don't stand up to the sublimation process.
duh is offline   Reply With Quote