Bamboozled by jargon - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 01:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bamboozled by jargon

Hi all

I currently have a K2 Satellite board that I bought in 2003 with no thought as to whether or not is was the right board for me and after 8 years I think I can safely say it's time for a new board......but what to get?

I recently read the following article (How to Choose a Snowboard: Expert Advice from REI) about different board types and see the following as being the main things that I need to take a decision on.

All mountain or park board
True twin, twin directional or directional
Rocker, camber, hybrid camber
Flex
Edge technology.

I think I understand a bit better what most of these things mean now but am still no closer to choosing a board as I'm not sure what characteristics are most important to my type of boarding. In summary

In total I have around 60 days of boarding experience but I am very much a social boarder (just cruising about with friends for one week per year).

I am generally comfortable on blues and reds and venture onto the occasional black when conditions are good.

I like to head into the powder when there a decent amount accessible from the piste but never stray too far away from marked runs.

I can ride fakie comfortably on blues (and reds if conditions are nice) and would like to develop this further.

I spend very little time in the board park and am only just about comfortable going over the small blue jumps (potentially with a 180 rotation but not good enough for 360 and doubt I will ever progress past this)

I think of the above the thing that I am most concerned with is the edge technology as I hate boarding anywhere near ice and anything that would give me a bit more confidence in poorer conditions can only be a good thing. But how much difference to these edging technologies make? I had a look in a couple of shops recently and the only board that I could visibly seen any difference on was one of the Nidecker ones with the Ultimate Grip edges. Other than that they all looked the same to me.

I would also like to practice my switch riding so shape may also be important but I don't really know much difference the different shapes makes to someone at my level.

I still have no idea about rocker versus camber even after reading the article above.

So my question is this. Can anyone provide any insight into what might be a good board for someone with my ability and intended usage?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Chompmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2011, 01:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chompmonkey View Post
Hi all

I currently have a K2 Satellite board that I bought in 2003 with no thought as to whether or not is was the right board for me and after 8 years I think I can safely say it's time for a new board......but what to get?

I recently read the following article (How to Choose a Snowboard: Expert Advice from REI) about different board types and see the following as being the main things that I need to take a decision on.

All mountain or park board
True twin, twin directional or directional
Rocker, camber, hybrid camber
Flex
Edge technology.

I think I understand a bit better what most of these things mean now but am still no closer to choosing a board as I'm not sure what characteristics are most important to my type of boarding. In summary

In total I have around 60 days of boarding experience but I am very much a social boarder (just cruising about with friends for one week per year).

I am generally comfortable on blues and reds and venture onto the occasional black when conditions are good.

I like to head into the powder when there a decent amount accessible from the piste but never stray too far away from marked runs.

I can ride fakie comfortably on blues (and reds if conditions are nice) and would like to develop this further.

I spend very little time in the board park and am only just about comfortable going over the small blue jumps (potentially with a 180 rotation but not good enough for 360 and doubt I will ever progress past this)

I think of the above the thing that I am most concerned with is the edge technology as I hate boarding anywhere near ice and anything that would give me a bit more confidence in poorer conditions can only be a good thing. But how much difference to these edging technologies make? I had a look in a couple of shops recently and the only board that I could visibly seen any difference on was one of the Nidecker ones with the Ultimate Grip edges. Other than that they all looked the same to me.

I would also like to practice my switch riding so shape may also be important but I don't really know much difference the different shapes makes to someone at my level.

I still have no idea about rocker versus camber even after reading the article above.

So my question is this. Can anyone provide any insight into what might be a good board for someone with my ability and intended usage?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
transworld snowboarding has their goodwood awards and describe the different varients of each item you are concerned about.

snowboard-review.com has reviews on every board and they also have a thing where you can select the kind of board you are looking for (for example i would look for an all mountain twin tip board with edge control and eco friendly (yes they have eco friendly options) as an advanced rider) and they will list you up all the boards that fall under your selection.

Very helpful at snowboard-review.com. They also explain camber / rocker / hybrid, edge technology, flex technology, twin/directional twin/directional/split technology, and anything else you can think of.
Willbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Good wood hahahahaha.

Here's some mandatory reading:
The Angry Snowboarder Blog Archive Camber Theories Explained
The Angry Snowboarder Blog Archive Camber Theories In Use
The Angry Snowboarder Blog Archive Sidecut Theories Explained
The Angry Snowboarder Gear Reviews

And my .02 cent recommendation is the K2 Raygun