getting ripped off - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 07:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default getting ripped off

I live in Japan. Great pow, but if I want to buy this years models and ride them this year I pay roughly double US prices.

Seems everyone outside the US pays more but its just ridiculous here.

Example Never summer SL 1200 USD. In the UK we call that taking the piss.

Anyway I was just wondering if people have ways round this?

Anyone got any genius solutions?

bestow thy knowledge unto us.

Last edited by dreampow; 10-28-2011 at 07:53 PM.
dreampow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2011, 07:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

surely you mean 1200 not 12,000
Before2Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Go next door to the factories that are making them and steal one before they get back on the ships back to the states.
ThunderChunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

That's weird, maybe because that brand is made in USA? I can't see good reasons it should cost so much more, would be interesting to hear from someone in the know. I could understand a couple hundred difference but that's almost double the price! Your best bet would to be to pay a friend to buy the board in the states or Canada and ship it to you. I don't know how Japan import laws work, can you post as a gift like you can in the states/Canada?
Jenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

My mistake 1200 USD. Still a joke though.

Oh there is no logic to it. Its just that people here have no choice. We are being ripped off.
Even my ride highlife which is made in China and therefore travels less to get here was roughly double the US price.

fortunately I bought it half price (regular price US) in Feb. Still I'd rather have bought the 2012 version with the same cash.

Last edited by dreampow; 10-28-2011 at 07:52 PM.
dreampow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

Is the difference made up by shipping costs and duty then? Or did you just check local stores? Just bought my Proto CT. In Europe it's around 700 euro, which is indeed pretty steep, so I just ordered it through Evo and ended up paying 520 euro door-to-door. Since most boards in my country will range 450-500 euro.. it's not that much more expensive. Might be worth a try?
Kaelan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Resident Snowman

Come visit the US or Canada, don't bring a board, but bring one home For that price you could practically get a board and a plane ticket! I guess I will stop complaining that boards tend to be $40-$50 more in Canada.
aiidoneus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

@Dreampow

I live in Sapporo and I'm in the same boat as you mate. Let's look at Burton Cartels. Stateside it's around 230 USD, in a Japanese retailer around 36,000 JPY (475 USD). Totally taking the piss!

I buy all my kit, apart from boots & helmets (stuff that needs to fit really nicely) online from US retailers. The problem is that only some of the retailers ship to Japan, and it's usually only certain brands. For example most US retailers I've dealt with have no problem shipping Mammut kit overseas, but I've never been able to get Black Diamond kit shipped out of the US.

Nonetheless, in the last year I've had 2 decks, 2 sets of bindings, 2 sets of pants, 2 sets of goggles, 1 shell, 1 fleece sent to my place in Sapporo in the last 12 months.

What I'd recommend is asking what retailers will ship to Japan, and if so what brands they'll ship.

Then again, if you're lucky and have a friend in the US just get the retailer to ship to your mate and have him fedex it to Japan.

Check out this thread for a few decent online retailers
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...retailers.html
onji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Is most of the cost in shipping? Have a friend in the states buy it and ship if not??? Maybe make a trip out to the states and buy a board out here. Ride for a few days then fly home with the board.
Tech420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

Our ecom site uses International Checkout for international purchases. I am not sure how it all works, but basically you pay them and then they pay us. I would assume most retails use them, or something similar. I am sure that there are restrictions/regulations of some kind, but to save $600+ on a board, it is totally worth it. Sorry you guys get screwed in other countries...

:: International Checkout :: Delivering products from America to your doorstep, worldwide ::
jgsqueak is offline   Reply With Quote