Which board? 165 - 175lbs, 6ft. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2011, 10:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Freestyle- All Mtn Board - 165 - 175lbs, 6ft.

Hey guys,

I'm currently looking into buying a new snowboard and new bindings and would love to get some help of you I'm weighing 75 - 80 kg (165 - 175lbs) and am 182cm (6ft) tall. So far I've ridden a Skate Banana in 159W with Union Bindings. I really liked the feel of the board, but all in all I always felt that the board could be more playful on the mountain and have more flex. With my EU 44 boots, the Wide board was also not really necessary. So far I've only ridden groomers and powder sometimes, which I really liked. I'm snowboarding for two year and can go down all slopes (blue to black) without major problems.

This year I want to go more on the playful side. I want to take my first steps in the park, and extend that some more in the future. Nevertheless I dont want to sacrifice too much when I ride some powder. On the groomers I want to be able to play around with the board, but still have a lot of stability. All in all this would be an all mountain board. Summarizing that I would say I want to do 60% groomers, 15% powder, 25% freestyle.

I understand, that I'm going to need a waist of around 255. I only want to get a wide board if its necessary, because I felt like I couldnt easily put pressure on the edge of my board. The board length should be around 155 - 157 cm. Would this be okay for my profile? So far I looked up those board:

Ride Machete 2012 154w or 157w: Here I can only use the Wide Version. The good thing is, that the wide board has just 260mm, to 261mm Waist.
Bataleon Goliath 156, 158 or 157w: The 156 hast only a Waist of 251. The 158 should be fine with 254, but already on the longer side. The 157w has a waist of 263, which is again a lot.
Bataleon Evil Twin in 157: Waist of 255, so it should be perfect. But I know that the Evil Twin is not an all mountain Board, so maybe it wont perform well on what I'm throwing it at?
Gnu Riders Choice C2 in 157.5: Waist of 253, which should be fine. Maybe a little expensive to me and not sure if thats an really advanced board and maybe a little aggressive?

Thank you soo much!

Last edited by frechdaxx; 10-29-2011 at 12:14 PM.
frechdaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2011, 12:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You are kind of contradicting yourself in the post. You keep saying you want something playful but then you finish with you want something very stable and you do 60% groomers. I don't think any of the boards you listed are going to be more playful than your current banana, they will be more stable though.

If the banana is stable enough for you, you might just want to downsize so that it will be more playful. Or you can get a dedicated park board and use your current banana for groomers and powder.
djsaad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hey,

thanks for your reply. The banana was really playful when it came to turning, but I hard such a hard time to flex this thing. I sold it last week for a good price, so I wont be able to use it anymore
Old 10-29-2011, 12:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frechdaxx View Post
Hey,

thanks for your reply. The banana was really playful when it came to turning, but I hard such a hard time to flex this thing. I sold it last week for a good price, so I wont be able to use it anymore
I am guessing that was because of the size. If it were the 156 instead of the 159 you probably would have been able to throw it around more.

The boards I would recommend for what you are wanting are

Arbor coda
Never Summer Evo
Never Summer Proto CT (a tad stiffer than the evo)
GNU park pickle (could be too soft, not really sure about this one)
Attack banana

In all of these I would go for a range of 154-157, I wouldn't go above or below that.

Depending on your boots, angles, and stance width, 10.5 boots should be able to fit on 25.3ww or above.

Last edited by djsaad1; 10-29-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
I am guessing that was because of the size. If it were the 156 instead of the 159 you probably would have been able to throw it around more.

The boards I would recommend for what you are wanting are

Arbor coda
Never Summer Evo
Never Summer Proto CT (a tad stiffer than the evo)
GNU park pickle (could be too soft, not really sure about this one)
Attack banana

Depending on your boots, angles, and waist width, 10.5 boots should be able to fit on 25.3ww or above.

In all of these I would go for a range of 154-157, I wouldn't go above or below that.
My angle is 12/-12. I looked into the Gnu Park Pickle, but thought that its maybe a little bit too much of a freestyle board? Its pretty hard to get a good deal on Never Summer Boards here in Germany, as they dont really sell them here in shops. What do you think of the Evil Twin in 157? Would it be any good on groomers and in powder?
Old 10-29-2011, 12:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I have never been on a bataleon board so I have no clue. I am a little confused why the website says the 154 has a flex of 6 but the 157 has a flex of 5.

Edit--

That was the evil twin AE, the evil twin is a flex of 7 on the 154 and 6 on the 157. Still confused on why it gets softer as the size goes up.

Also not quite sure about their marketing Feels at home in the park but we have seen this board handle everything.

They don't sound too confident that it can handle everything.

Last edited by djsaad1; 10-29-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

This are the specs for the Evil Twin. I thought 6-7-6 refers to tip-middle-tail? Not sure where you find the 5 flex
Old 10-29-2011, 02:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

I was under the impression that bataleon swapped the numbers so 1 is stiffest and 10 is softest...could be wrong though.

Viel Spass!
doron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doron View Post
I was under the impression that bataleon swapped the numbers so 1 is stiffest and 10 is softest...could be wrong though.
Yes, from what I've heard thats true

Quote:
Originally Posted by doron View Post
Viel Spass!
Danke!