Is my 149 board decision the right choice? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2011, 08:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Is my 149 board decision the right choice?

Hey,

I asked a couple questions about this recently and got some help, but I'm still a little torn. I'm about 120lbs and around 5'8, probably won't be growing anymore in height, size 8 boot.

The decision was between a 149 or 152 skate banana. From what I understand now, the 149 board would be more of park board with all mountain capabilities, and the 152 would be more of an all mountain with park capabilities.

I think I've decided on the 149, however, I'm still slightly torn between the two. Up until now I've done mostly all mountain riding (cruising and riding groomers, some pow) with a bit of park/ messing around throughout the day. The 155 I've been riding has made it hard to do much of any tricks though.

I'm not 100% park though. I definitely plan on being in the park/ doing a lot more park oriented stuff with this board, but I still want the ability to cruise and do all mountain stuff with some tricks here and there.

I think the 149 is likely the better choice here, and won't look ridiculously small?

Last edited by powboarder369; 10-30-2011 at 09:53 PM.
powboarder369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2011, 10:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

149 is better. You could go even smaller if you keep your 155 for all-mountain riding.
crazyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
With extra cheese.

Is this board going to be your go to or do you have a quiver built? How much weight do you plant to put on?

If you were using this for jibbing only and just getting around the rest of the mountain, 149 is ok. 152 would be way more versatile, especially if you want to get really take the whole mountain on and especially if you plan to put on 10 or 20 lbs. But if you have another board for doing that type of riding, doesn't make much sense to get the 52 nanner cause you'll just end riding one and not the other.
CheeseForSteeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for your replies

I think for the most part this board would be replacing my previous 155 completely. It was a full camber, very stiff and I was finding it hard to progress with much of anything past the skill level I had gotten to (riding all mountain about 3 years).

I wouldn't be using it exclusively for jibbing, I'd still ride the groomers (and we do get the occasional pow days), and I'd like to get the most out of the board at my current weight, (a rather high metabolism keeps me at around this weight for now, and I don't hit the gym too often.)

I hate the feeling of a board being too long though, especially with the 155. The features I tried hitting, it just seemed ridiculously over sized. I also do give the small to mid range jumps a go while in the park.

"149 is better. You could go even smaller if you keep your 155 for all-mountain riding." So if I were to use it as kind of an all round board, park and all mountain, the 152 is what you guys are suggesting?
powboarder369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
With extra cheese.

152 probably. Plus, if you were to gain weight or muscle, it would be something you could grow into. For a quiver of one, you have to give up some stuff and I'd give up the jibbability of a shorter board for running length and float in powder.
CheeseForSteeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hey man I am selling a 2011 Skate Banana in size 149 if you are interested. I would also recommend the 149 for you since I weigh more than you and think that the Banana is a bit too stiff for my liking so a 152 would definitely be too stiff for you if you are looking to do a whole lot of jibs. The 149 would be better for jibs and still great for all mountain.

Anyways,the Banana I'm selling is in really good condition. It has some scuffs on top from mounting the bindings (which would get covered up as soon as you put your own bindings on the board) and it has some small scratches on the bottom from hopping around on the carpet to test out the flex. I have never actually ridden the board and it would be in better condition than a board that has been ridden for only a day. PM me for pics and more info!
jds3939 is offline   Reply With Quote