Never Summer SL or Arbor Coda/Element in trees? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Never Summer SL or Arbor Coda/Element in trees?

Which board would do better for riding in glades? Specifically, I'm looking for a board that will provide enough float at slower speeds with quick edge-to-edge. I would imagine the a full reverse camber like the Arbor System tech would be better for this type of riding than the Never Summer RC hybrid tech but would like to get real-world opinions.

Specifically looking at the Arbor Coda/Element and Never Summer SL so flex-wise they should be about the same.

Thanks!
GeoFX is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member
 
Nivek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Mordor
Posts: 7,505
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Well I really like the Coda. BA, who could have his choice of any NS, chose a Coda... Its a very capable all mountain board but still playful enough to get freaky on logs and such. Full reverse = quick edge to edge and great float. Griptech is the shiznat and works great. Plus its super prettier than the SL in my opinion.

Snowboarding Is...

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friends
Nivek is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 11:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If I had the money to get another all-mountain board, it'd be the Coda. I own a NS SL and I love it to death, but damn those Arbor woodgrain finishes are sexy.

As for how the SL handles, it's very agile and quick edge to edge. It also holds carves very well thanks to the vario grip and camber portions of the board; I can lean deep into them and come out without a hint of skidding. The rocker between the bindings let's you float along powder with ease, but it does give it a pivoty feel if you're flat-basing while bombing a groomer. Just leaning forward a tad though negates that problem, however it is something some boarders may have reservations about.
Bayoh is offline  
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 01:31 AM
Veteran Member
 
jdang307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,931
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
Well I really like the Coda. BA, who could have his choice of any NS, chose a Coda... Its a very capable all mountain board but still playful enough to get freaky on logs and such. Full reverse = quick edge to edge and great float. Griptech is the shiznat and works great. Plus its super prettier than the SL in my opinion.
Have you rode the SL? I have but no Coda, so I'm wondering how it compares as a Coda may be in my sights for my second board. I really liked the SL, upped my confidence big time on the slopes

From what I've read in BA's reviews he chose the Coda, then preferred the westmark, then preferred the 2012 evo, then the Blackslist. The K2 raygun is stuffed in there somewhere ...
jdang307 is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoh View Post
If I had the money to get another all-mountain board, it'd be the Coda. I own a NS SL and I love it to death, but damn those Arbor woodgrain finishes are sexy.

As for how the SL handles, it's very agile and quick edge to edge. It also holds carves very well thanks to the vario grip and camber portions of the board; I can lean deep into them and come out without a hint of skidding. The rocker between the bindings let's you float along powder with ease, but it does give it a pivoty feel if you're flat-basing while bombing a groomer. Just leaning forward a tad though negates that problem, however it is something some boarders may have reservations about.
So I take it that the float is fine in the trees at slow speeds on your SL in your opinion. I heard the same about the RC tech creating issues with one-footing as well...
GeoFX is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 05:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoFX View Post
So I take it that the float is fine in the trees at slow speeds on your SL in your opinion. I heard the same about the RC tech creating issues with one-footing as well...
When you're going through powder between the trees the rocker will keep you afloat no problem, it does it's job very well.

The thing with RC boards is they feel at home on edge. Linking carves and switching edge while slaloming through trees is what it loves to do.

It's only when you're completely flat and straight-lining down a run when you notice that rocker between your legs and it feels like your edges are floating. Also it's not like I'm trying to balance on one foot at this point. Just a very slight shift forward will get rid of that feeling; and a feeling may be all that it is as I've yet to even catch an edge once on my board that wasn't blatantly my fault.

Like any 'different' camber profile you should give it a ride to see if you like it, if at all possible.
Bayoh is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoh View Post

The thing with RC boards is they feel at home on edge. Linking carves and switching edge while slaloming through trees is what it loves to do.
Linking carves and slaloming through trees are what I consider higher-speed maneuvers. I'm more interested in slow-speed, pivot turns through some pretty tight trees on powder (Winter Park). Would a continuous rocker like the Arbor be better for this since it rides more "skaty" vs. the SL where you need to engage the camber? Just wondering...
GeoFX is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 07:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Both boards will probly handle wonderfully in that situation I think. Actually pretty much any board that incorporates a rocker profile will give you a noticeably easier time at lower speeds in powder.

But I have not ridden the Coda before so I can't speak on it's behalf. I remember reading BA's review on it and he seemed to love the board and his word is good.
Bayoh is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome