Never Summer SL or Arbor Coda/Element in trees? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2011, 10:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Never Summer SL or Arbor Coda/Element in trees?

Which board would do better for riding in glades? Specifically, I'm looking for a board that will provide enough float at slower speeds with quick edge-to-edge. I would imagine the a full reverse camber like the Arbor System tech would be better for this type of riding than the Never Summer RC hybrid tech but would like to get real-world opinions.

Specifically looking at the Arbor Coda/Element and Never Summer SL so flex-wise they should be about the same.

Thanks!
GeoFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2011, 10:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Well I really like the Coda. BA, who could have his choice of any NS, chose a Coda... Its a very capable all mountain board but still playful enough to get freaky on logs and such. Full reverse = quick edge to edge and great float. Griptech is the shiznat and works great. Plus its super prettier than the SL in my opinion.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

If I had the money to get another all-mountain board, it'd be the Coda. I own a NS SL and I love it to death, but damn those Arbor woodgrain finishes are sexy.

As for how the SL handles, it's very agile and quick edge to edge. It also holds carves very well thanks to the vario grip and camber portions of the board; I can lean deep into them and come out without a hint of skidding. The rocker between the bindings let's you float along powder with ease, but it does give it a pivoty feel if you're flat-basing while bombing a groomer. Just leaning forward a tad though negates that problem, however it is something some boarders may have reservations about.
Bayoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
Well I really like the Coda. BA, who could have his choice of any NS, chose a Coda... Its a very capable all mountain board but still playful enough to get freaky on logs and such. Full reverse = quick edge to edge and great float. Griptech is the shiznat and works great. Plus its super prettier than the SL in my opinion.
Have you rode the SL? I have but no Coda, so I'm wondering how it compares as a Coda may be in my sights for my second board. I really liked the SL, upped my confidence big time on the slopes

From what I've read in BA's reviews he chose the Coda, then preferred the westmark, then preferred the 2012 evo, then the Blackslist. The K2 raygun is stuffed in there somewhere ...
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoh View Post
If I had the money to get another all-mountain board, it'd be the Coda. I own a NS SL and I love it to death, but damn those Arbor woodgrain finishes are sexy.

As for how the SL handles, it's very agile and quick edge to edge. It also holds carves very well thanks to the vario grip and camber portions of the board; I can lean deep into them and come out without a hint of skidding. The rocker between the bindings let's you float along powder with ease, but it does give it a pivoty feel if you're flat-basing while bombing a groomer. Just leaning forward a tad though negates that problem, however it is something some boarders may have reservations about.
So I take it that the float is fine in the trees at slow speeds on your SL in your opinion. I heard the same about the RC tech creating issues with one-footing as well...
Old 10-31-2011, 05:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoFX View Post
So I take it that the float is fine in the trees at slow speeds on your SL in your opinion. I heard the same about the RC tech creating issues with one-footing as well...
When you're going through powder between the trees the rocker will keep you afloat no problem, it does it's job very well.

The thing with RC boards is they feel at home on edge. Linking carves and switching edge while slaloming through trees is what it loves to do.

It's only when you're completely flat and straight-lining down a run when you notice that rocker between your legs and it feels like your edges are floating. Also it's not like I'm trying to balance on one foot at this point. Just a very slight shift forward will get rid of that feeling; and a feeling may be all that it is as I've yet to even catch an edge once on my board that wasn't blatantly my fault.

Like any 'different' camber profile you should give it a ride to see if you like it, if at all possible.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoh View Post

The thing with RC boards is they feel at home on edge. Linking carves and switching edge while slaloming through trees is what it loves to do.
Linking carves and slaloming through trees are what I consider higher-speed maneuvers. I'm more interested in slow-speed, pivot turns through some pretty tight trees on powder (Winter Park). Would a continuous rocker like the Arbor be better for this since it rides more "skaty" vs. the SL where you need to engage the camber? Just wondering...
Old 10-31-2011, 07:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Both boards will probly handle wonderfully in that situation I think. Actually pretty much any board that incorporates a rocker profile will give you a noticeably easier time at lower speeds in powder.

But I have not ridden the Coda before so I can't speak on it's behalf. I remember reading BA's review on it and he seemed to love the board and his word is good.