Out of the LOOP! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2011, 10:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Out of the LOOP!

So ive been snowboarding now for maybe 14 years, and I am addicted like everyone else, and haven't bought a new board in say 5 years, so this year i started to research and damn, I had no idea how technologically advanced boards are now a days, when i first started out, I went to Princeton Ski Shop, and had a good convo with one of the shop techs and I bought my first morrow board, and I dont even think they're a company anymore?

Anyway, Im an east coast snowboarder riding up and down from NY to vermont, to maine, I live right outside NYC and plan on getting a solid freeride board, as I basically just rip the mountain, hit some jumps, no rails, and hit the occassional tree sessions (Jay Peak) for all you vermont fans. Im pretty standard, 6ft 175, size 11 boot dude, and I plan on getting a new board this winter, stepping it up to a nice freeride board, if anyone has any recommendations, I see a lot of Never Summer recommendations and Burton hatred on the forum, but to each is their own, my good buddy has ridden a timeless the last 4 years and swears by it, rode it once, i liked it, but i want something different thats my own, so any input would greatly be apprecated.. I usually go about 7 or 8 times a year.. would love to go more.. but corporate america has me by the balls

Glad I found this forum, you guys are really passionate, glad to see the sport is constantly evolving!!!
jrdoyle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2011, 10:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdoyle1 View Post
So ive been snowboarding now for maybe 14 years, and I am addicted like everyone else, and haven't bought a new board in say 5 years, so this year i started to research and damn, I had no idea how technologically advanced boards are now a days, when i first started out, I went to Princeton Ski Shop, and had a good convo with one of the shop techs and I bought my first morrow board, and I dont even think they're a company anymore?

Anyway, Im an east coast snowboarder riding up and down from NY to vermont, to maine, I live right outside NYC and plan on getting a solid freeride board, as I basically just rip the mountain, hit some jumps, no rails, and hit the occassional tree sessions (Jay Peak) for all you vermont fans. Im pretty standard, 6ft 175, size 11 boot dude, and I plan on getting a new board this winter, stepping it up to a nice freeride board, if anyone has any recommendations, I see a lot of Never Summer recommendations and Burton hatred on the forum, but to each is their own, my good buddy has ridden a timeless the last 4 years and swears by it, rode it once, i liked it, but i want something different thats my own, so any input would greatly be apprecated.. I usually go about 7 or 8 times a year.. would love to go more.. but corporate america has me by the balls

Glad I found this forum, you guys are really passionate, glad to see the sport is constantly evolving!!!
Decide what you are willing to spend on a set up, stick to your budget and research the best deck you can get. If you are buying from a shop, find out what brands they have and research them first, then go ask some questions, listen, if it makes sense, take notes and go home and do more research, ask questions. Make an update to this thread with your choices, and people will chime in with advice. Don't be in a rush.
Sick-Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Since you've been boarding so damn long I'm gonna just throw some boards at you that I've been wanting to try myself.

You mentioned Never Summer up front so take a look at the Heritage. All-mountain/freeride board.

I've been dying to try out a Bataleon board as they do something different than other brands with their TBT bases. Not positive, but I think their freeride oriented board is the Omni. I've been looking mostly at what they have to offer for park so don't know much about that board.

Arbor from the first day I walked into a boardshop has allured me with their woodgrain topsheets, but reading around you'll find they got their tech down too. Look at the Element from them.

From K2 I've read good things about the Slayblade. Zero camber, but this year's model they may have added some to give it some playfulness? Didn't look too much into it.

And lastly from Ride I've read some happy reports of the Highlife being yet another sick board.

Burton gets flak for probly having so much rental crap and lower end boards out amongst the masses that they get a bad rep. I don't see why their higher-end boards wouldn't perform just as well as any other.
Bayoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

I was in the same boat as you last year. Had been riding a 5 year old machete and was overwhelmed with the tech that had come out since. Then again, I bought the Machete on advice from a Princeton employee, so I probably didn't know anything at all about specific board features in the first place.

I would start off by reading thegoodride.com and angrysnowboarder.com as a baseline, but lurk around these forums enough and you'll get a better sense about what you need than anywhere. I ended up with the neversummer sl btw, carves like a dream while still being playful.

Last edited by doron; 11-01-2011 at 10:54 AM.
doron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by doron View Post
I was in the same boat as you last year. Had been riding a 5 year old machet
couldn't have been riding a 5 year old machete Ride didn't make that board until 2010.

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 48

Mt. Brighton - 13
Hawk Island - 6
Mt. Holly - 5
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Boyne Mountain - 2
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Cannonsburg - 1
Urban - 1
Slackcountry - 1
Nub's Nob - 1
Sugar Mountain, NC - 1
Beech Mountain, NC - 1
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_z View Post
couldn't have been riding a 5 year old machete Ride didn't make that board until 2010.
You're right, it was a timeless, my bad!
doron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

hah no worries man!

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 48

Mt. Brighton - 13
Hawk Island - 6
Mt. Holly - 5
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Boyne Mountain - 2
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Cannonsburg - 1
Urban - 1
Slackcountry - 1
Nub's Nob - 1
Sugar Mountain, NC - 1
Beech Mountain, NC - 1
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

OP, there is a lot of tech out there to catch up on. I would focus on the different rocker lines (Camber, Rocker, and the combination of the two known as Hybrid) that are out there first. Almost every brand makes something that would fall into one of those three rocker lines, but they all do it slightly different. Research them and see which one make the most sense to you. Being on the East Coast, I would assume that you will see the benefit of a hybrid rocker like a K2 Flatline, Mervin C2 BTX, Burton Flying V, Ride Hyprid, Flow Pop Cam, etc.
jgsqueak is offline   Reply With Quote