Was it smart to buy new gear even if its my first season? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2008, 11:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Was it smart to buy new gear even if its my first season?

So this is my first season snowboarding, only been up a few times, but I absolutely love it.

I have rented all my gear prior and it was not bad except the boots would kill my feet each time out.

So last weekend I bought some boots, and I thought this would be good enough for the rest of the season.

So I spent a lot of time just reading the boards and researching, and just said screw it, I want to go up at least once a week now the rest of this season and I bought bindings/board. I think I made a pretty good decision on all my gear so its not like I just got whatever the guy behind the counter told me, I did some research and this is what I got.

Salomon F20 - Boots fit awesome, tried them out and bought them online.

Salomon Relay Bindings - All Ive read so far is that the Salomon boots were made for the Relay bindings and they fit eachother perfectly, all the reviews Ive read seem to like them.

Rome Anthem 162 - I kept going back and forth on boards, and I found this board to be what Im looking for, a good all mountain board (I ride freeride right now but I want to expand to the Park/Jumps end of this season and next season) and this board seems to be good all around.

I know it's a lot of money but after the few times I went this year I am hooked and already cant wait for next season so I can get my season pass.
jeri534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2008, 12:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Best idea ever.

Seriously, it beats renting - I bought after my first day (skiied prior though)...you'll make up your money quick if you go a lot anyways.
Minger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

you def. made a good decision. it is better to learn on the same board then getting different boards each time you rent. Congrats!
NYCboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
pyro13g

I did the same after renting twice this year. I bought a seasons pass and put the $150 rental fee towards my own gear. Plus I've been out 3 times on my new board which would have been another $75.00. That's already paid for my boots and bindings.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
sparty

I did the exact same thing....best decision you'll ever make.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
quicksilver1689

if you love it and dont plan on bailing with the idea then yes buying your own equipment is a good idea. Thats what i did, did a few rentals learned how to basically operate the piece of wood we call a snowboard, bought a cheap 5150, then next season a lovely gnu.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
BoardTard Xtrordinair

Good idea Especially buying a good pair of boots. It will be cheaper than renting and even if you decide you'd like to have a different board next season it never hurts to have a loaner/backup board for when you are going to be riding certain terrain or have a friend without a board that wants to ride.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
TNT

I bought my gear after my first day boarding (and first day being on the slopes). I haven't looked back. It beats the heck out of renting, and I have not yet found anyone who has regretted making the same decision. Enjoy your gear, but don't get to hyped up about keeping it looking pretty. If you're using it, your board will eventually look like what Patty shot at, and in my opinion, that's when it's looking its best. So don't worry about the knicks and scratches and your graphics getting trashed.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
pyro13g

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
I bought my gear after my first day boarding (and first day being on the slopes). I haven't looked back. It beats the heck out of renting, and I have not yet found anyone who has regretted making the same decision. Enjoy your gear, but don't get to hyped up about keeping it looking pretty. If you're using it, your board will eventually look like what Patty shot at, and in my opinion, that's when it's looking its best. So don't worry about the knicks and scratches and your graphics getting trashed.
So true. Second time out I came home with a nice gash across the top of my board.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
ecave84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Right View Post
Good idea Especially buying a good pair of boots. It will be cheaper than renting and even if you decide you'd like to have a different board next season it never hurts to have a loaner/backup board for when you are going to be riding certain terrain or have a friend without a board that wants to ride.
If hes using an anthem as a loner board i want to be friends with him.

defiantly a nice choice getting your own gear. I have a Flag which is basically the wide version of the anthem and i love it. Your defiantly not going to out grow that board for a while.