Beginning snowboarder with some board questions! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 02:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Beginning snowboarder with some board questions!

Hey guys, quick background for you. I first snowboarded last season, probably went five or so times and really enjoyed it so I bought my season pass this year! Its also time for me to buy some of my own gear. I'm 5 foot 9 inches and weigh about 165 lbs. Here's what I had in mind. I've heard really good things about the k2 raygun. So I plan on going with last years model raygun that I found online brand new for $280. I was thinking a 156 would be a good length. The previous 5 times I went I was borrowing a friends board that I think was like a 161, definitely felt a little cumbersome. I plan on spending a good amount of time on groomers, but after my skill progresses a little I want to get into some park type stuff as well. Is the 156 appropriately sized for me doing this type of riding. I guess I just really want something that would be at least decent in any situation that I can use for a couple seasons as I progress. For what its worth I'm looking at pairing the board up with a set of rome 390 boss bindings. Any advice from people more knowledgeable than myself? I did a fair amount of research but just wanted a second opinion, so let me know what you think. Thanks in advance!
dude22dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2011, 02:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude22dc View Post
Hey guys, quick background for you. I first snowboarded last season, probably went five or so times and really enjoyed it so I bought my season pass this year! Its also time for me to buy some of my own gear. I'm 5 foot 9 inches and weigh about 165 lbs. Here's what I had in mind. I've heard really good things about the k2 raygun. So I plan on going with last years model raygun that I found online brand new for $280. I was thinking a 156 would be a good length. The previous 5 times I went I was borrowing a friends board that I think was like a 161, definitely felt a little cumbersome. I plan on spending a good amount of time on groomers, but after my skill progresses a little I want to get into some park type stuff as well. Is the 156 appropriately sized for me doing this type of riding. I guess I just really want something that would be at least decent in any situation that I can use for a couple seasons as I progress. For what its worth I'm looking at pairing the board up with a set of rome 390 boss bindings. Any advice from people more knowledgeable than myself? I did a fair amount of research but just wanted a second opinion, so let me know what you think. Thanks in advance!
156 would probably be alright. I'm not as experience as many of the other riders on here so keep an eye out for better advice!

I have a Burton Dominant in a 154 and feel pretty good about and I weigh the same with size 10 boots.
damanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

56 Raygun is solid for you. It will do everything you need/want it too. May in a season or three if you are looking more park specific, you could size down with a new board then.
jgsqueak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

dropping down from a 61 to a 56 you should notice some difference for sure. I second the opinion that you could go smaller than 156 though. I outweigh you by 50 pounds and I ride 157ish in the park, and 159-163 all mountain.

You would be more than OK on a 154ish. If you anticipate growing a lot (no idea how old you are) you might want to stick with the 56 so you can grow in to it.
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Woah, gapped that one. I'm 21 so my weight and height have pretty much become stagnant. No major changes should really happen. Would going down to a say... 153 raygun be to small for me on groomers and such? I wouldn't mind having a board more on the playful side. I was just concerned it might be to short. I have actually been a little torn between the two sizes... thus the thread!
dude22dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've only ridden a 156 and 154 so I'm not sure about a 153. I doubt there'd be a huge difference between it and a 154. If you're only going to be doing groomers and eventually park that would probably be alright.

Make sure to keep in mind though, that as you get better you may begin to enjoy powder and some all-mountain riding more and in that case you could go with the 156. Otherwise you'd be likely to want two boards, park and all-mountain.
damanb is offline   Reply With Quote