Diamond stone size - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 05:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Diamond stone size

I'm looking into buying a diamond stone and I was wondering how long they last? Would a small one be sufficient?
Also if I have this edge tuning tool : OneBallJay | Snowboard Wax | Snowboard Tools | Ski Wax | Surf Wax | Skate Wax | Action Sport Accessories
would that tool be good for all the edges or just the magne traction edges? I bought this for my last board but now I have a Capita snowboard so not sure if that tool would be okay for the Capita.
Should I also buy a gummy stone if I already have a diamond stone? And if I need a file I would appreciate some recommendations. Thanks!
Inlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2011, 05:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
With extra cheese.

Get a fine diamond stone (600-1200 grit). Use it to keep your edges free of burrs. The gummy stone is good to finish off the edge and get to baby butt smooth. Make sure you get a hard one, it's a carbide impregnated material that feels like an eraser. I do this every evening and it only takes a minute. As long as you don't get the cheap "economy ones", they'll last you years. $25 well spent.

If you need to tune the edge, do it prior to deburring as described above. The tuning tool you linked is fine for all style sidecuts (regular blended multi-radii cuts, magnetraction, Salomon Equalizer, Griptech etc.), but I'd only use it on the side edge. A base edge guide should be used for the base edge. Depending on the conditions you ride (hardpack dulls it faster) preference and style, you might tune every night or might only tune once ever 3 or 4 days or even more. I rarely tune my boards because I prefer it for riding in the park and buttering on boilerplate. With all these new sidecut technologies, tuning is becoming less and less critical as far as freestyle goes.
CheeseForSteeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseForSteeze View Post
Get a fine diamond stone (600-1200 grit). Use it to keep your edges free of burrs. The gummy stone is good to finish off the edge and get to baby butt smooth. Make sure you get a hard one, it's a carbide impregnated material that feels like an eraser. I do this every evening and it only takes a minute. As long as you don't get the cheap "economy ones", they'll last you years. $25 well spent.

If you need to tune the edge, do it prior to deburring as described above. The tuning tool you linked is fine for all style sidecuts (regular blended multi-radii cuts, magnetraction, Salomon Equalizer, Griptech etc.), but I'd only use it on the side edge. A base edge guide should be used for the base edge. Depending on the conditions you ride (hardpack dulls it faster) preference and style, you might tune every night or might only tune once ever 3 or 4 days or even more. I rarely tune my boards because I prefer it for riding in the park and buttering on boilerplate. With all these new sidecut technologies, tuning is becoming less and less critical as far as freestyle goes.
As you said, I prefer to ride mostly in the park as well, which is why I am mostly concerned with DEtuning my side edges. I am going to leave my base edge when I receive my board in the mail and let them dull out by themselves when I'm riding hardpack, ice, or just jibbing. For my side edges I am for sure going to detune them when I get them in. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Any hand tool like this is not ideal for changing a bevel whether side or base. This is an inexpensive task at a shop and the machine does a much better job of giving you an even bevel the entire length. These hand tools are designed for tuning (sharpening) your edges. The multi tool is designed to use on both the side bevel and the base bevel; just be sure that you know what angles you are running and set the guide accordingly. When simply tuning, use a light touch taking care not to remove any more metal than is required to get a keen edge again. If you have actual damage such as gouges or nicks, use a hand file to repair these prior to tuning. Deep nicks are just going to be there and you do not want to remove you metal down so far as to eliminates them. Simply clean the edges of the nicks so your tuning tool glides over these areas without catching and tune the edge around these damaged spots.

For detuning, use the stone or even a fine file lightly and hold it at about a 45 against the edge and lightly dull it. It really does not take much, so go easy here.
So would the magne traction tool be used for detuning or for sharpening? I am really just looking to detune right now, not sharpen, because I'm only going to be using this board in the park. I don't really need to have sharp edges because that would just make me catch edges on rails.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
That is for tuning ( sharpening ). For defining all you need is a cheapo plain old flat bastard file from the hardware store. Simply hold the file at about a 45 across the edge and gently dull the sharp edge. For cleaning up the burrs from the file, run any old generic knife sharpening stone along the edge a few times and you're set. Just be careful not to overdo this; easier to retune more than restoring an edge.

This is just me but I am not a fan of magnetraction on a jibbing board because they are designed to be edgy. Is this your only option?
Well I have a Skate Banana so it is my only option. But the Magnetraction is only edgy on ice and hardpack.