Emergency, need info by end of tonight - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 11:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 66
Default Emergency, need info by end of tonight

I'm going to tune my new board I just got. I want to have a 2 degree base bevel and an 88 degree side bevel. Would this be considered "sharpening"? I went to my local board shop website and they have a bunch of snowboard services. They had many choices including edge sharpening, hot wax, ptex repairs, base grind, stone grind, Epoxy Work, and Full Tune (includes Base Grind, Edge Sharpen, Basic P-Tex work & Hot Wax). I am wondering which one of these would I need to buy to have my board tuned to my specifications? I would really appreciate if anyone could help me out with this. Also, is changing the base bevel and side bevels a one time process? Will this be the only time I have to bring it into the shop? I know how to sharpen edges by myself so that would be fine. Thank you so much for reading!
Inlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-01-2011, 11:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 27
Default

If it's a new board you don't need to do anything to it. Go ride the board first and you only need to sharpen the edge after a lot of riding. There is no need to change the angle of the edges and once you do you can't usually go back.
ChrisMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 66
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMB View Post
If it's a new board you don't need to do anything to it. Go ride the board first and you only need to sharpen the edge after a lot of riding. There is no need to change the angle of the edges and once you do you can't usually go back.
Well, I think I need to change the bevels because this is going to be a pure jibbing board. If I keep it factory sharpened, I am going to catch edges on rails. I was going to put a 2 degree base bevel and an 88 degree side bevel on it. What do you think about that? Is it a good or bad idea? I think it's great because it'll be more buttery and I won't catch edges on rails.
Inlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
fattrav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 1,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inlay View Post
I'm going to tune my new board I just got. I want to have a 2 degree base bevel and an 88 degree side bevel. Would this be considered "sharpening"? I went to my local board shop website and they have a bunch of snowboard services. They had many choices including edge sharpening, hot wax, ptex repairs, base grind, stone grind, Epoxy Work, and Full Tune (includes Base Grind, Edge Sharpen, Basic P-Tex work & Hot Wax). I am wondering which one of these would I need to buy to have my board tuned to my specifications? I would really appreciate if anyone could help me out with this. Also, is changing the base bevel and side bevels a one time process? Will this be the only time I have to bring it into the shop? I know how to sharpen edges by myself so that would be fine. Thank you so much for reading!
Technically, your correct, it is sharpening. Its also beveling as well.

Just ask them to file the edges to the specification you want (edge tuning/sharpening). Or ask to have them dulled for park riding or what ever your intending to do. Your board may have already came from the factory with the edges to that specification (as it is common to have a few degrees bevel these days) and will have came with a coat of wax (so a wax may not be in order, dependent on the dryness) .
__________________
Never Summer SL153 & Atomic Hatchet 159
Burton CO2
Nitro Teams
fattrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 66
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattrav View Post
Technically, your correct, it is sharpening. Its also beveling as well.

Just ask them to file the edges to the specification you want (edge tuning/sharpening). Or ask to have them dulled for park riding or what ever your intending to do. Your board may have already came from the factory with the edges to that specification (as it is common to have a few degrees bevel these days) and will have came with a coat of wax (so a wax may not be in order, dependent on the dryness) .
Well I want them to get the bevel to the specifications that I want, but I also don't want the bevel to be SHARP, but I still want the angle that the bevel gives. What do you suggest I do? Because this is going to be a pure jib board.
Inlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inlay View Post
Well, I think I need to change the bevels because this is going to be a pure jibbing board. If I keep it factory sharpened, I am going to catch edges on rails. I was going to put a 2 degree base bevel and an 88 degree side bevel on it. What do you think about that? Is it a good or bad idea? I think it's great because it'll be more buttery and I won't catch edges on rails.
You should do that after you've ridden the board a lot and have more experience in the park. It doesn't seem like you have a whole lot of park experience, but correct me if i'm wrong. Your gonna catch your edge a lot when you start out regardless of the edge.

What board is?

Last edited by ChrisMB; 11-01-2011 at 11:44 PM.
ChrisMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 66
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMB View Post
You should do that after you've ridden the board a lot and have more experience in the park. It doesn't seem like you have a whole lot of park experience, but correct me if i'm wrong. Your gonna catch your edge a lot when you start out.

What board is?
I actually have 4-5 seasons of experience in the park, but the reason I sound like a noob is because my previous board was a Bataleon Airobic, and the TBT means that I don't have to worry about base bevels and what not, since the sides are always off the ground. But I just got a new board (Skate Banana) and I am worried it'll be catching edges.
Inlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
fattrav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 1,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inlay View Post
Well, I think I need to change the bevels because this is going to be a pure jibbing board. If I keep it factory sharpened, I am going to catch edges on rails. I was going to put a 2 degree base bevel and an 88 degree side bevel on it. What do you think about that? Is it a good or bad idea? I think it's great because it'll be more buttery and I won't catch edges on rails.
Calm down bro. Dont get too worries about the specifics of the angles on the edge. If the board is designed for jibbing, its going to have the edges pre-beveled. Yes, they will still be pretty sharp though. What you're perhaps wanting is to dull the edges, where by, they will still angled the same as from factory, but not "point sharp".

You can do this yourself. Go look on youtube for a "how to detune my snowboard" video clip. Grab a file (or angle grinder) and go for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg calm_down_bro.jpg (38.6 KB, 103 views)
__________________
Never Summer SL153 & Atomic Hatchet 159
Burton CO2
Nitro Teams
fattrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:22 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 280
Default

Do you know the factory bevels for your board? I imagine the board already has a 1 or 2 degree base bevel if it's made for the park.
Bayoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 66
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoh View Post
Do you know the factory bevels for your board? I imagine the board already has a 1 or 2 degree base bevel if it's made for the park.
I am not sure, I looked it up and I got answers from 0 degrees to 4 degrees, so it's an unreliable source.
Inlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:20 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums