Emergency, need info by end of tonight - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 11:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Emergency, need info by end of tonight

I'm going to tune my new board I just got. I want to have a 2 degree base bevel and an 88 degree side bevel. Would this be considered "sharpening"? I went to my local board shop website and they have a bunch of snowboard services. They had many choices including edge sharpening, hot wax, ptex repairs, base grind, stone grind, Epoxy Work, and Full Tune (includes Base Grind, Edge Sharpen, Basic P-Tex work & Hot Wax). I am wondering which one of these would I need to buy to have my board tuned to my specifications? I would really appreciate if anyone could help me out with this. Also, is changing the base bevel and side bevels a one time process? Will this be the only time I have to bring it into the shop? I know how to sharpen edges by myself so that would be fine. Thank you so much for reading!
Inlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2011, 11:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

If it's a new board you don't need to do anything to it. Go ride the board first and you only need to sharpen the edge after a lot of riding. There is no need to change the angle of the edges and once you do you can't usually go back.
ChrisMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMB View Post
If it's a new board you don't need to do anything to it. Go ride the board first and you only need to sharpen the edge after a lot of riding. There is no need to change the angle of the edges and once you do you can't usually go back.
Well, I think I need to change the bevels because this is going to be a pure jibbing board. If I keep it factory sharpened, I am going to catch edges on rails. I was going to put a 2 degree base bevel and an 88 degree side bevel on it. What do you think about that? Is it a good or bad idea? I think it's great because it'll be more buttery and I won't catch edges on rails.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inlay View Post
I'm going to tune my new board I just got. I want to have a 2 degree base bevel and an 88 degree side bevel. Would this be considered "sharpening"? I went to my local board shop website and they have a bunch of snowboard services. They had many choices including edge sharpening, hot wax, ptex repairs, base grind, stone grind, Epoxy Work, and Full Tune (includes Base Grind, Edge Sharpen, Basic P-Tex work & Hot Wax). I am wondering which one of these would I need to buy to have my board tuned to my specifications? I would really appreciate if anyone could help me out with this. Also, is changing the base bevel and side bevels a one time process? Will this be the only time I have to bring it into the shop? I know how to sharpen edges by myself so that would be fine. Thank you so much for reading!
Technically, your correct, it is sharpening. Its also beveling as well.

Just ask them to file the edges to the specification you want (edge tuning/sharpening). Or ask to have them dulled for park riding or what ever your intending to do. Your board may have already came from the factory with the edges to that specification (as it is common to have a few degrees bevel these days) and will have came with a coat of wax (so a wax may not be in order, dependent on the dryness) .
fattrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattrav View Post
Technically, your correct, it is sharpening. Its also beveling as well.

Just ask them to file the edges to the specification you want (edge tuning/sharpening). Or ask to have them dulled for park riding or what ever your intending to do. Your board may have already came from the factory with the edges to that specification (as it is common to have a few degrees bevel these days) and will have came with a coat of wax (so a wax may not be in order, dependent on the dryness) .
Well I want them to get the bevel to the specifications that I want, but I also don't want the bevel to be SHARP, but I still want the angle that the bevel gives. What do you suggest I do? Because this is going to be a pure jib board.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Well, I think I need to change the bevels because this is going to be a pure jibbing board. If I keep it factory sharpened, I am going to catch edges on rails. I was going to put a 2 degree base bevel and an 88 degree side bevel on it. What do you think about that? Is it a good or bad idea? I think it's great because it'll be more buttery and I won't catch edges on rails.
You should do that after you've ridden the board a lot and have more experience in the park. It doesn't seem like you have a whole lot of park experience, but correct me if i'm wrong. Your gonna catch your edge a lot when you start out regardless of the edge.

What board is?

Last edited by ChrisMB; 11-01-2011 at 11:44 PM.
ChrisMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMB View Post
You should do that after you've ridden the board a lot and have more experience in the park. It doesn't seem like you have a whole lot of park experience, but correct me if i'm wrong. Your gonna catch your edge a lot when you start out.

What board is?
I actually have 4-5 seasons of experience in the park, but the reason I sound like a noob is because my previous board was a Bataleon Airobic, and the TBT means that I don't have to worry about base bevels and what not, since the sides are always off the ground. But I just got a new board (Skate Banana) and I am worried it'll be catching edges.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Calm down bro. Dont get too worries about the specifics of the angles on the edge. If the board is designed for jibbing, its going to have the edges pre-beveled. Yes, they will still be pretty sharp though. What you're perhaps wanting is to dull the edges, where by, they will still angled the same as from factory, but not "point sharp".

You can do this yourself. Go look on youtube for a "how to detune my snowboard" video clip. Grab a file (or angle grinder) and go for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg calm_down_bro.jpg (38.6 KB, 103 views)
fattrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:22 AM   #9 (permalink)

Do you know the factory bevels for your board? I imagine the board already has a 1 or 2 degree base bevel if it's made for the park.
Bayoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoh View Post
Do you know the factory bevels for your board? I imagine the board already has a 1 or 2 degree base bevel if it's made for the park.
I am not sure, I looked it up and I got answers from 0 degrees to 4 degrees, so it's an unreliable source.