Ready to purchase a board - Uneducated on subject - Need help! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2008, 03:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Mikel00

Default Ready to purchase a board - Uneducated on subject - Need help!

Hey guys im new to the forum but just gotta say this place is great. Im sorry to make this post thats been repeated tons of times but I cant really go off anyone else cuz everyone is different.

Ok I started snowboarding about 6 years ago. Going only 4-7 days a winter. I always just rented but I want to buy a board b/c I'm going to start going a lot more now that my life is in a spot where I can. I am very ignorant when it comes to the subject of snowboards & equipment (whats good for a certain style, the size that fits me, etc.)

Height: 5'11
Weight: 175
Style: I would say freeride I dont do rails or jumps a whole lot. I like steep slopes and doing sharp turns.
Location: Southern CA, I go to Mammoth Mountain mostly. Lake Tahoe sometimes. Big Bear, Snow Valley are local so I'll be going there alot.

I would like a good setup but it doesn't have to be the super top of the line. Something reliable that a mediocore boarder will have fun on for several years. Midlevel board. Also binding and boot suggestions would be appreciated. I'm not gonna give a budget cuz im not sure what to expect for this equipment. I'm not rich tho so a good deal will be welcomed. Is $600 a realistic figure?

If you need any other information let me know. Thanks a ton guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2008, 09:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
bmies

For bindings, I love my recently purchased Rome 390s and so far have ridden them in the type of environment you are talking about. I think there are good deals out there on them as far as sales go ($ 120 to 140 range). I dont think you could go wrong by getting some of these in size large.

I learned and have been riding a rather large board. A Burton Baron 167 Wide. I'm 5'10" and 205 lbs. It can be tough to get through the trees on this big board, but on the steeps and open slopes, it is super stable at speed yet maneuverable and does great in powder with a little setback in the stance. I just recently purchased a smaller/more flexible board (Rome Slash 158cm) but have yet to try it.

I would think you are looking for a relatively stiff / directional board in the 162ish range for freeriding. I know I'd be happy with something like that if I were lighter. If I didnt have the Burton already, I'd be looking for sales on something like the Rome Flag.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Zee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

What size are your feet?

If you were to walk into my store (once I own one) I would put you into....

Medium Stiff freeride board with 2-2.5 cm setback in a 158-162, 8-9 side cut. (smaller side cut = more responsive turns, bigger means more stability at speed)

Examples...
Lib Tech Phoenix 160
Rome Solution 160

Magnetraction is good if you ride a lot of park, but I don't see a benefit on soft snow.

Rome 390 or Targa bindings are awesome, and Rome has very good customer service.
Bent Metal has some good basic bindings as well, and Technine is always worth a look.

With boots, you really have to try a whole bunch on. Some will feel better than others.

With all the sales on, you should be able to find a full package around $600 no problem.

Peace

The Never Summer SL-R is the best all mountain board I have been on... Ever.
Buy it... Ride it... Love it...
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
bmies

Keep an eye on WhiskeyMilitia.com today for some binders or a board possibly. Things are going cheap and fast. Something good may come up.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Check all the main copany websites and look for their freeride boards to find some you like. If your feet are size 11+ you may need a wide board...if not, you have plenty of good options. Just check out Lib-tech, GNU, Ride, Rome, Burton, K2, Never Summer, Arbor, etc. Once you've found a few boards that look good, find some deals online because they are out there.

Whiskeymilitia.com mentioned above will probably have a few boards and bindings on sale today for crazy prices. Sierrasnowboards.com also has a ton of boards 30-50% off so check that out as well. You should be good with a board in the high 150's to low 160's depending on what you are comfortable with.

Rome bindings are pretty nice. I just got a new pair of 390s and the conforming toe strap is pretty cool...it really locks your feet into the heel cup. You may want the Targas if you are willing to spend more...you can get them online for $159 plus shipping at k5.com or sierra. Burton toe cap bindings seem pretty good as well. I've also heard great things about Ride SPi.

Have fun man!

Last edited by schmitty34; 02-27-2008 at 12:20 PM.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Mikel00

Thanks for the replies so far.

I'm about a size 11 boot so I probably need wide?

Another concern: I tend to have a problem when im riding it feels like my feet are recieving significant pressure. It's on specific parts of the foot (outside of the front foot I think) and it is rather painful especially after several runs. My feet become very sore from the stress they are under.

What do yall think about the Burton Royale? In it's description it says it has pressure distribution edges and "Not only will you experience carves without the bite of your boot's toes and heels..." I wonder is this will help with the painfull pressure on my feet?

When you purchase a board from a website, will you be getting the same graphics that are in the preview picture? Or is that just an example? Say there is a board I really like, but I don't like the graphics they are showing, am I SOL? Or can I get something else?

Thanks guys
Old 02-29-2008, 11:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Not sure about the foot pain, but I would guess it is the way your boot fits, or maybe preassure points on your bindings. Nicer bindings and better fitting boots may help, but I doubt a different board will.

The Burton Royale is probably a pretty good option for you. It's a mid-wide so should work well for you size 11 boots.

You are pretty much stuck with the graphics they have. Most boards have a few different variations of the graphics but they are mostly determined by the board size, you won't get to pick. The website should be able to show you the graphics for the size board you are picking. If you a concnerned about the graphics, the black Royale looks almost all black on the mountain because the graphics are pretty light. Not bad, just different than what the websites make it look like.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote