Never Summer Revolver - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 09:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Never Summer Revolver

My 16 year old son needs a new WIDE snowboard. He currently is 6'3", 150 lbs, 13 shoe. He rides a Burton Hero and loves it because it's a noodle. I asked him to consider an NS Revolver instead of a wide Hero. We ride in Colorado. He wants something to jib and butter with lots of pop. 40% groomers, 40% park and 20% trees. My question is what setup is recommended? Looking at Unions, Romes and Burtons. With his height is autocanting good or a marketing scheme? Thanks for your assistance.

Doug
(SLR, Restricted Cartels, Ions)
dmartin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2011, 10:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

If you can, try to get one to demo and see if he likes it. Trying out new boards is part of the fun of getting a new setup and if he hasn't ridden anything different he'll probly be pleasantly surprised at what other boards have to offer.

Also you're looking for binder recommendations too, right? I don't know how Burton's autocant fairs, but this year I bought Rome Targas specifically for the canting options. I'm tall and lanky like your son so I imagine his legs are long as hell like mine and a wider stance comes natural to him. Since he's more into park I'd say go for the 390 Boss from Rome. Less stiff than the Targa, but still includes the canting options of a flat bed and 2.0/3.5 degree cant beds. That said, being younger his body can easily take the punishment to the knees and he might not notice the effects of canting hehe. But having the option there is always nice.

So far I like both Burton and Rome's customer service. Rome has a rep that will chime in often on these forums(very cool) and their phone reps are super helpful. I called in on Burton to get a replacement highback as my forward lean adjuster snapped on me a year ago. Their rep threw some new ones in the mail for me with little hesitation. can't go wrong with either in this regard.

Last edited by Bayoh; 11-02-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Bayoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks. That is what we are planning on. I'm just trying to narrow the field. Also, I forgot to ask - what length 155 or 158? I can literally watch him grow. I'm 6'3" 180 and I ride a 158.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

For a park board at his weight and the possibility of growing I'd go with 155. A 158 might support him more in the long run if he packs on the pounds, but that's a maybe as I thought I was gonna still gain more weight around his age yet I stopped almost completely.

Edit: Also might I add that 158 will probly be a tad stiffer. It'd lend itself more to all-mountain, but since his focus is the park he'll probly be happier on a 155.

Last edited by Bayoh; 11-02-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmartin45 View Post
My 16 year old son needs a new WIDE snowboard. He currently is 6'3", 150 lbs, 13 shoe. He rides a Burton Hero and loves it because it's a noodle. I asked him to consider an NS Revolver instead of a wide Hero. We ride in Colorado. He wants something to jib and butter with lots of pop. 40% groomers, 40% park and 20% trees. My question is what setup is recommended? Looking at Unions, Romes and Burtons. With his height is autocanting good or a marketing scheme? Thanks for your assistance.

Doug
(SLR, Restricted Cartels, Ions)
I eventually got to a Revolver from a Hero, inbetween I had a Nitro T1 and a NS Legacy. I am surprised he got on that Hero with 13 Boots.

The revolver is soft, but I found it to have a better edge than the hero - then again I find with most soft boards after a year of riding them everyday they tend to lose their ability to hold an edge on shitty hardpack. If its pop hes after, you are barking up the wrong tree, maybe it has a little more than the Hero, especially when you first buy it. My buddy has a Rome agent wide, similar rocker to the NS, and has a bit more pop for some reason. My new board advice to everybody is always always try before you buy. No-one can give you advice on the right board for you because everybody has a different riding style.

I am 190lbs 6'1" and I ride a 159, its always been pretty good for me. I am a huge NS fan, just ordered a Heritage x after demoing one last year, its more of a charger than a jibber though.
Matt166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Good point about the pop. Maybe take a look at the new NS Proto CTX. From the reviews on this forum it sounds like it's the Evo, but with the pop and dampness of the SL.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies. The size 13 boots is why he needs a new board. Last year he was 14" shorter and had 10s. I agree with the Proto, but being a noodle is the most important for him. He wants to be able to nose or tail press without much effort.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Evo/Revo's and Rome 390's seem to be popular these days. Go for the bosses for Canting.

I paired mine up with K2 Uprises. Can be had for 140 or so if you look.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote