First Board Options - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 10:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Smile First Board Options

Hey all from the East Coast of Canada! Been a reader here for a little while and was hoping to get some advice on board selection. I understand there are hundreds of reviews and threads like this already in creation but a fresh look is never a bad thing and I'm also in the middle of the atlantic ocean at the time so bandwidth is extremely limited. I'll be bookmarking this topic after it's made.

So about me. I'm 25, 5'11", 175lbs and am going into my fourth year snowboarding. Previously I've only ever rented those Burton rentals from the lodges. I'd consider myself to be leading into the intermediate skill level. No problem linking turns in different conditions. Comfortable in all aspects of simply making it down the hill without falling and put one a lot of speed at times. Can do little jumps. Flat 180s here and there. Small boxes, etc.

I'm looking to buy my first board. Before I do I'm going to buy some boots local so that I'm sure they're right for me. I know different boot/binding combos fit different boards, but I'm just looking to have some options to research when I get back in the country so I can buy a board (probably online) ASAP.

I'm looking for an all mountain board, probably 158cm I would say. I usually use 10 - 11 boot size depending on the boot. Since I my interests lie more towards just shredding up the hill and goofing around with only a little bit of park features (though I'd like to start getting a little more into park stuff it isn't the main focus) I would say I want something with camber as opposed to straight rocker. Possibly a combination of the two though? Since I've only used really stiff rentals I don't know much about flex but I would like to get into butters and presses so something with about a medium flex I think would be ok. Obviously like anything durability is also something to look for. I know there's a lot of other tech out there that I only know very little about but I don't need anything rediculously complex. Like I said I'm intermediate.

Now comes the big variable, price. I'd LIKE to spend no more than $400 on the board alone. Prefferably a bit less but I can do $400 comfortably if it's the right board for me. Some boards I remember being interested in (without looking up their current stats) are:

Burton Custom (don't care about the brand, I've just heard good things)
Sierra Crew (heard a great board but takes a bit to break in the flex and the tops wear/crack easily)
NeverSummer (a buddy of mine swears by them, but I think they're a bit more expensive)

I'm really open to all suggestions. Something that I could buy online that ships to Canada is preffered. Any ideas you guys can throw my way to give me something to think about for my return in a few weeks would be greatly appreciated. I don't know much about the different binding systems and how they are specific to certain boards and such either, so that will be something I need to keep in mind once I select my boot and later consider board options.
moobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2011, 10:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

I've seen the K2 Raygun and Ride Antic mentioned in a few threads on here as being good decks that don't try to rape your bank account. Don't know how they handle or even what kind of flex they have, but pretty much anything will feel flexy and amazing compared to the 2x4's you get from a rental shop.

Never Summer boards you probably won't find on sale except maybe in a random boardshop where they don't advertise it. So expect to pay full price on them which is $500+.

I suggest meandering each company's board lines on their websites. They're usually filled with marketing crap, but they will usually tell you what kind of style it's meant for. True twin boards will usually be geared for park and directionals are meant for all-mountain, though both have some overlap with varying board flex. From there you can get some names of boards you might be interested in and compare their prices to online stores such as evo.com or backcountry.com to find something in your price range.
Bayoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Where in eastern Canada are you? To ur question I saw u posted the button custom.... May I suggest instead of the custom u can look at the custom flying v.... The flying v series are a mix of camber and rocker so u get the best of both worlds. If u look at the burton website they have vids explaining what the flying v is and I believe it is all mountain board... also sick pow on this forum is currently riding it and he only has good things to say... Also goldn from this forum in the eastern canada section loves the flying v Tech he is either getting the flyIng v Sherlock or flying v custom.. So if u want to know more u can prolly talk to them
Snowboard_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Gnu carbon Credit 156 for more all mountain deck with park ability or 153 for park deck with all mountain ability
notter123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice. I'm checking out those websites as we speak (thought its super slow. I'm on pretty much dial-up out here in the middle of the ocean). I'm in Nova Scotia Otaku. After looking at the customer flying V it seems to have the style of binding attach points that only allow special Burton bindings, which I'm not interested in. I don't want to be held down by a particular brand like that. I've been looking at bindings and I might be going with a set of flow M11s I think they're called. I'll get in touch with the member you mentioned and at least chat about it though.

Once I have more stable internet I'll browse through some board maker sites, but are there any brands that you would reccomend against? Like any that is commonly known (but maybe not to me) to be poor quality, etc.

Thanks guys.
moobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moobox View Post
Thanks for the advice. I'm checking out those websites as we speak (thought its super slow. I'm on pretty much dial-up out here in the middle of the ocean). I'm in Nova Scotia Otaku. After looking at the customer flying V it seems to have the style of binding attach points that only allow special Burton bindings, which I'm not interested in. I don't want to be held down by a particular brand like that. I've been looking at bindings and I might be going with a set of flow M11s I think they're called. I'll get in touch with the member you mentioned and at least chat about it though.

Once I have more stable internet I'll browse through some board maker sites, but are there any brands that you would reccomend against? Like any that is commonly known (but maybe not to me) to be poor quality, etc.

Thanks guys.
not a problem if burton is not for u i would def suggest what notter said.. a gnu carbon credit or a skate banana...

someone correct me if i am wrong " you can mount any binding on the channel system for burton as long as you have the conversion disk ?"
Snowboard_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Mostly stay away from the ski brands; Rossignol being one of the bigger names. I think they're mostly in the snowboard business to stamp out rental equipment in competition with Burton as the only time I've really seen any of their boards was in the rental shops. Anyone is free to prove me wrong though.

K2 is one of the exceptions.
Bayoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

Rossignal makes some good decks, don't listen to anyone who tells you drake makes good bindings, obviously lamar, morrow, ltd, stay away from all them. but yea the skate banana would be good too
notter123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

Yes Jackpot. I haven't tried all their boards but the ones I did try (great beauties/jackpot) are pretty awesome/versatile—it's right at your price range too. Got camber between inserts and rocker from insert to tips, medium/soft flex and also has the magnetraction sides. If you can spend 50 more I'd go for the great beauties though, I really like the asym heel sidecut, weird they stopped doing that in most boards.
2813308004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

if you are buying online check Mens Snowboards, shipping to canada is pretty cheap. I would recommend buying flow, nitro, and maybe bataleon, most gnu will be out of your price range. In my limited experience flows have a ton of tech for the price and most of them will be in your price range. Nivek seems to recommend the nitro pro modles a lot, i have a nitro t1 that i don't think is very good but apparently they have changed that board now. A lot of ppl like bataleon but not every one likes tbt. Wiredsport is on this forum and if you ask them for some help they are very good on getting you the right board for you.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote