New board help - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2011, 11:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New board help

Hello, I currently have a Burton King and I feel it is too stiff and too long of a board to do what I want with it(I think it's 162 but I will check today). It is wide as well which seems to make it harder to maneuver than necessary. I am looking to move more towards a park board that I can have more fun on n screw around on. There is a 2010 K2 parkstar that is for sale locally that I am looking at today at 3:30, otherwise it goes to the board swap this weekend. It is 160cm and a wide so I'm not sure if it is going to make much of a difference. I am about 6', 175-185(depending on gym), and have size 12" boot right now but might have to go to 13(I'll try em on today). Would a mid wide maybe work better? I am looking for a board more oriented towards the park as I want to get more into it this year.

Anything along the lines of K2 Parkstar, Darkstar, WWW. NS revolver,Evo. Any Forum board. Burton Hero etc(would a blunt suffice?). Ride agenda, Kink. and any of the other good brands that look cool. I would like to have an uncommon board as well so if there are any recommendations throw them out there. I would consider myself intermediate but pretty mild. If I had a more comfortable board, I would be willing to do more stuff on the slopes. Oh, and I would like a board that I could occasionally bomb down some moderate groomers etc. but the park aspect is the most important.

Thank you!
pucymawnsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2011, 11:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'll let someone else recommend a specific board but I think a 160 is a bit too big for your weight if your focus is park riding. I'm mostly all mountain freestyle, weigh 160-165 and ride a 153 Neversummer Sl.
doron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Agreed. I'd say somewhere in the 153-158 range would suit you a lot better. I'm sure someone else could chime in here
Old 11-03-2011, 12:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Arbor Blacklist is a midwide. And BA and Nivek who have ridden it, love it.

And Board Insiders ... well some of them loved it too

Watch the beginning of this video:
Arbor Blacklist Review - 2012 Snowboard Reviews - Board Insiders - YouTube

BA who gets to ride a million boards is hyping the Blacklist like crazy. If I was heavier I'd totally get one. AT $420 its cheaper than a lot of boards too.

Next I would choose a Revolver, based on my experience with NS.

Someone else can chime in with the K2 boards, which are supposed to be great too
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Thoughts

I've heard that the Burton Nug is pretty good for park and rolls shorter than the norm so you could go down to the 150's as suggested.

I am mostly a bomber but I have the 160 K2 Darkstar (1 step down from the ParkStar and also slightly suited more suited towards free-ride than the Parkstar) which I plan for more park riding/tricks. That said, I also have a 166 K2 Slayblade which is the bomb for bombing and also got a 169 LibTech Skunk Ape for even more speed bombing/"big mountain". Likely the Slayblade stays the most used and the others brought out for park or powder. I can readily feel how much more poppy the Darkstar is compared to the Slayblade.

I am a size 12 and definitely, definitely, definitely need a full wide for what I do -nothing worse than being on a steep and having your heel edges prevent you from gaining a good hold on ice. I think Arbor makes the widest boards around. And most any LibTech park board would likely have enough credibility to not steer you wrong.

Here's the best advice I can provide to you: if you are in the park, better get some protection (pads, guards, etc) as you would be surprised at the frequency of injuries from park riding. So dont put all of your money on a board without some on protection.

Last point, if you do go shorter, you will likely be more unstable at speed bombing than your current length but it also depends on the board stiffness/tech, etc. Net net, the Parkstar is not a bad choice and should take you where you want go. Hope this helps.
BruceWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for all the quick responses! Well im back home n my board is a 158w surprisingly.has ride lx bindings(which r prly heavy) n i got size 12boots vans mantra. I strapped myself in and it just feels heavy. Im not sure if its just me but on this board i cant rly jib.cant barely get rotation .Its not buttery at all n seems stiff. Easy to catch and edge n difficult to switch from front to heelside when carving. I can do it all i just want a lighter board thats more comfortable. Even back when i rented i felt more comfortable on those boards. Would detuning fix this or a new board?

As for that video, it was sick. The blacklist looks pretty badas. (Maybe a little stiff) Would a midwide work for my size 12's?

The nug looks awesome too! It only goes to 150 but it says it rides 8-10cm shorter than normal boards. Ive been teading reviews n ppl my size love it and use it in all conditions. This seems like it wud be great for a park begginer because of the ease of maneuverability and rotation. They seem hard to find tho. Also, i am a little worried about buying b4 testing n im not sure if u can test them here ughh so many options n variables! Neone have experience on a nug?

Im sure there were multiple boards that wud have worked for u guys. Wat did u ultimately base your decision on? There r so many in the same price range. Graphics are a factor. Thank you!
pucymawnsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
With extra cheese.

I wouldn't call the Blacklist stiff. If my Westmark is any indication, it's definitely soft and playful. It's a hair softer than my Evo, especially in the tips, and much more tapered. It's right around middle of the road as far as park flexes go, maybe a hair softer and it should break into a good mid-soft feel which is what I prefer.

You should be fine size 12 or 13 on a Blacklist due to the slightly wider mid-wide shape and the grip tech contact points which give a bit of extra width at the insert packs.
CheeseForSteeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseForSteeze View Post
I wouldn't call the Blacklist stiff. If my Westmark is any indication, it's definitely soft and playful. It's a hair softer than my Evo, especially in the tips, and much more tapered. It's right around middle of the road as far as park flexes go, maybe a hair softer and it should break into a good mid-soft feel which is what I prefer.

You should be fine size 12 or 13 on a Blacklist due to the slightly wider mid-wide shape and the grip tech contact points which give a bit of extra width at the insert packs.
The westmark is slightly softer than your Evo? That's the first I've heard. I've always read opposite. Although it's hair splitting at that point.

Check out the blacklist dude. Midwide is better than not for your board it should work. People say you can ride 11's on regular boards. And the griptech is noticeably wider.

Damn I need to ride an arbor.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
With extra cheese.

It definitely plays more in the tips, for sure. The lack of recamber underfoot helps with this and the fact it's considerably thinner at the tips; it's tapered considerably whereas the Evo is pretty damned beefy at the tips. Remember, the Evo uses a press flex core with two softer flex points built into the board's core right inside the insert packs. This can really change the way the board feels flex wise, especially when you combine that with the recamber under the insert packs and the non-tapered core.
CheeseForSteeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWard View Post
I've heard that the Burton Nug is pretty good for park and rolls shorter than the norm so you could go down to the 150's as suggested.
Really? I was talking to a shop owner the other day and we we're discussing the Nug. He said its more of a powder board than anything. A rockered board with curled up / spoonlike edges on the nose and tail...its compact size focused on tight tree off piste/bc riding. Just by listening and checking out the board and its curvature it looks like it would have ANYTHING but an easy time in a groomed area.

that being said. It looks like the sweetest powderboard ever made and i might have to demo one out in jackson hole.
Willbilly is offline   Reply With Quote