what else would this be? new board help - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 01:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default what else would this be? new board help

what's up everyone. i know it's probably not your favorite thing ever to advise people on board questions 10x a day but i gotta ask.

so i'm 5'11 x 165lbs and ride mammoth almost exclusively. been riding at least a few times a season since i was little and i'm 25 at this point. for the most part i ride all mountain and can handle just about anything except the more gnarly chutes / back country (although i've never really gotten a chance with those terrain types). i'm not sure it needs to be said but i ride powder when it comes as well. with the more all mountain riding being said i also enjoy some time in the park and got to jumping more often end of last season. finally learned to do a 360 (fs only so far) so i'm definitely gonna be pushing it more in the park as well. don't really jib much but i could see myself doing a few here and there. mainly hit mid sized parks.

i've previously owned a forum bjorn leines model: Forum Bjorn Leines Freestyle Reviews. my riding style has been most influenced by that model and stiffness in flex so i'm pretty partial to that. always thought it was nice to be able to push hard in turns for all mountain and enjoyed the pop / cushion the board provided in the park. the board i'm currently riding is the arbor alt: Arbor Alt Snowboard 2008 | evo outlet. it's incredibly light but feels pretty thin and a little too all mountain for my tastes. both these models were / are 156's if i'm not mistaken. ridden rental / demo boards from 160-165 and i can definitely see myself bumping up to 158-160 for the new stick. also, would like to transition back to something with a more freestyle edge to it.

after researching the new design elements to be taken into account i'm still not sure what kind of bottom curve i would want. i've only ridden camber as far as i know and the control / power feeling people use to describe it sounds right. the idea of continuous rocker or rocker-flat-rocker sounds pretty cool. the camber / rocker combo curves make absolutely no sense to me but i could see something like the forum double dog design being pretty sick. my main goal with the board is to maintain the control i have had in my previous boards (either with flex or bottom curves?), pop is important but i don't need a ton since i typically hit jumps, and possibly incorporate some newer tech or softer flex to enhance the board's ability to hit the park.

let me know what you guys think / if i'm on the right track on what to get next and any board recommendations will be welcomed!

thanks,
loneweez
loneweez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2011, 01:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Try these if you want Rocker:
Rome Mod Rocker Snowboard | Rome Snowboard Design Syndicate 2012

Hybrid:
Heritage / Heritage X | Never Summer Industries - Snowboards, Longboards, Clothing and Accessories
SL | Never Summer Industries - Snowboards, Longboards, Clothing and Accessories

Camber:
Rome Mod Snowboard | Rome Snowboard Design Syndicate 2012

Someone will probably suggest an Arbor. I didn't put them on the list because I know pretty much nothing about them.
ThunderChunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Take a look at the Nitro Rook 56/58, and Pro One Offs 156. The Rook is zero, its gonna feel like a broken in camber stick you've had for years. The One Off's are Gullwing, that hybrid you're talking about, and is one of the best hybrids I've ridden. Playful, but fully capable of higher speeds and plenty in the tail to push on in a turn. If full rocker intrigues you look at the Arbor Coda 157. Griptech works and keeps the board underneath you. For a Twin feel full rocker look at the 157 Arbor Blacklist. Similar to Gullwing is Flow's I-Rock. They add a rolled base like is on the Nitro SubZero that really just makes edge to edge transition smoother and makes flat basing super comfy and effortless. Look at the Drifter. If you want to go Forum again, the Destoyer Doubledog made a pretty good all mountain twin for me, try the 158. For a different flavor of camber look at Bataleon. Good chance you'd like the 156/58 Goliath or 157 ET. TBT is a different ride. I found it fun. Felt to me similar to rocker until you put it on edge then you got the familiar camber response. Didn't spend much time on TBT but in that short time it definitely saved my ass at least once.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Wow awesome recommendations already.

I gotta say ThunderChunky looks like he pretty much nailed the board type I've been hunting for in terms of riding style and flex. Stoked on the Never Summer boards and the Rome's look nice too. I like the descriptions on the NS boards and the idea of they hybrid rocker, but I need to look into the SL more to see if it will work out of the park for me. The Rome Mod seems pretty epic in terms of pop / response and I could see the Mod Rocker being an epic all mountain board w/ freestyle tendencies.

For Nivek's recommendations. Do you have more information on the Rook and One Offs? It sounds like you really enjoyed the One Offs and the Rook caught my attention by mentioning it won a few awards. Forum's Double Dog doesn't seem to do it for me although I can't nail down exactly why..just feel like it might be a little soft. Goliath is also very interesting and the TBT tech sounds cool.

I know I'll have a lot to choose from but right now I'm leaning towards the Never Summers or Rome's.

Thanks for the quick responses guys!
Old 11-06-2011, 04:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The Rook is one of my favorites in the Nitro line. And for a jump board it is top tier. It just makes for a great twin do everything board, especially if do everything is more focused on speed and snap.

Here's reviews of both Nitro's.
The Angry Snowboarder Blog Archive 2012 Nitro Rook Used and Reviewed
The Angry Snowboarder Blog Archive 2012 Nitro Kooley Pro One Off Used and Reviewed

Here's one of the Destroyer.
The Angry Snowboarder Blog Archive 2012 Forum Destroyer DoubleDog Used and Reviewed

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the feedback on the Rook Vitek.

So my new plan is to get a 2-board quiver for this season. Main board will be an all mountain / freestyle board and the alternate will be an older model full on park board.

These are the models I'm looking at for the main board:
Never Summer SL 158
Lib Tech T. Rice Pro 157
Rome Agent Rocker 157
Nitro Rook 156 or 158
Gnu Riders Choice Pickle 157.5

I think it's important to mention after reading reviews about a lot of these boards, especially NSers, I can say with certainty I don't want a tank / uber damp board for my main board. I really want a board similar to those I've had in the past but with the new rocker tech. Something agile, on the stiffer side, and capable of all mountain speeds / jumps.

Not really sure what to get for the alternate full on park board b/c I've been concentrating on the main board so much so any advice is welcome. I'd like to get something with rocker or flat rocker combo that isn't a pure jibbing machine. Also, if you guys know of a few boards on discount or used I'd love to see them. Currently looking at evo.com's 2011 boards on discount. Not trying to spend more than mid/high $200's on it. The Rome Garage Rocker has caught my eye on the site so far.

Oh and for sizing I'm a size 10 in street shoes..can't remember my boot size but it's either 10 or close to it.

Thanks
Loneweez
Old 11-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Have you checked out the proto? less damp than the SL. Reviews aplenty in the equipment section.

For a park board, for less than $200. Well that's hard. Flow Verve? Size down to 155w and you can get it for around $200.

EDIT:

Nm, found some sizes here:

http://www.valuesports.com/istar.asp...%2FA&size=152& Free $25 gift card too.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Under $300 is more like it for the park board. To be more specific I'll be hitting mainly jumps on it and might learn some intermediate rails/boxes (aka not the ride on or small kiddy stuff i've done in the past). Pipe isn't on my radar.

Flow Verve looks nice!! Looked quickly at the AS review and liked what it had to say. Gonna do more garage rocker research now.

Thanks!
Old 11-08-2011, 03:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

aghhhhh add the Arbor Blacklist 157 to the main board list...too many options :**(
Old 11-09-2011, 04:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

Decision has been made. Going with the Lib Tech T. Rice C2BTX Blunted.

Can anyone give me a size recommendation? Just to reiterate I'm 5'11 x 165lbs x 10-10.5 foot. I've read this particular model rides longer than its length which is a little concerning. For every board, this one included, I fall right around 157-158 in the spec charts. This board will serve as an all mountain / jump board. Choice is between 153 and 157.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Loneweez