Difference between Arbor Coda and Element RX cores - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 08:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Difference between Arbor Coda and Element RX cores

Looks like the 2012 Arbor Coda uses the Mystic 2 core which is different than the 2012 Element RX, which uses the Mystic 1 core. Can anyone guess at what the "real-world" impact of these two cores are? The are significantly different with respect to the use of bamboo reinforcement along the rails (Coda) vs. placement of two bamboo rods running tip-to-tail along the center (Element RX).

CODA: MYSTIC 2 CORE - Our most bomber core for more aggressive big-mountain riding, built using FSC certified, sustainably produced poplar and reinforced with bamboo along the rails for significantly improved initiation and durability. Bamboo is one of the strongest materials on the planet. It has 40 times the effective life of carbon fiber and provides 60% more return than traditional core materials. Bamboo’s tensile strength and weight-to-strength ratio are superior to steel; yet bamboo is light, flexible, and resistant to compression.

ELEMENT RX: MYSTIC 1 CORE - A high-grade core for mixed mountain or park performance; built using FSC certified, sustainably produced “TDS” poplar and reinforced with two bamboo axels running tip to tail down the center of the core. The bamboo axels create compression struts that liven up the longitudinal flex without affecting turn or spin initiation and landing recoverability. Bamboo is one of the strongest materials on the planet. It has 40 times the effective life of carbon fiber and provides 60% more return than traditional core materials. Bamboo’s tensile strength and weight-to-strength ratio are superior to steel; yet bamboo is light, flexible, and resistant to compression. TDS is a specially selected lighter grade of poplar wood.

Which core would be torsionally and longitudinally stiffer? More durable? Arbor claims the Mystic 2 core would increase turn initiation but how?

Last edited by GeoFX; 11-06-2011 at 08:41 PM.
GeoFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2011, 09:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Im pretty sure BA reviewed both. The Coda review might be the 2011 but the board didn't change. Angrysnowboarder.com just use the search.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
Im pretty sure BA reviewed both. The Coda review might be the 2011 but the board didn't change. Angrysnowboarder.com just use the search.
Thanks I read that review but he doesn't really go into how the ride is affected by by the core (says it's nice though). In addition, he never compared the Coda with the Element RX (he tested the cambered CX, which would be a completely different ride) so there really isn't an apples-to-apples comparison.

According to Arbor, the Element RX is softer than the Coda but some riders have said the reverse. Anybody ridden both?
GeoFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

(really sorry geofx, don't mean to hijack your thread, but I was about to make this thread but figured I would save some space)

Coda Vs. Element RX

for pow, trees, cliffs, slackcountry, natural feature all mountain killer

what would you guys pick?
WasatchMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Just my speculation based on how tech effects ride, I would venture to say that overall the Element is going to be stiffer than the Coda, but the Coda will be more snappy off edge due to the bamboo on the rails where as you'll probably get a little more "predictable" and possibly smoother edgehold from the Element with the overall stiffer feel and the bamboo down the middle.

I have not ridden the RX.

But, I would guess its a skate feel freeride board where the Coda is a premier skate style all mountain freestyle deck.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Mysticism level 2 is higher than level 1 jeez come on everyone learns that in magical wood craft for foot wands 101.