Advice for new deck (NS, Nidecker, Capita, others?) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Which board?
NS Raptor X 169 6 25.00%
Nidecker Megalight 167/176 2 8.33%
Capita Black Snowboard of Death 4 16.67%
YES Big City 3 12.50%
GNU Billy Goat 4 16.67%
Other 5 20.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 01:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question Advice for new deck (NS, Nidecker, Capita, others?)

Hi,

I'm in the market for a new board, and looking for some helpful crowd-sourced advice

Height: 6'3"
Weight: 315lbs (going down, but one way or another big)
Boot: 13/14
Ride Style: Powder whenever it's available, but get caught hitting groomers often too. Not much for the park, but am getting a feel for kickers, small jumps etc
Current Setup: NS Titan TX 169, Salomon Malamute Boots, Ride CAD Bindings

So right now I'm looking at thoughts/recommendations on a new setup. I love my Titan for the speed, but have been finding it gets to be a pain in the ass for trees, bumps, and even powder at times too (too heavy). Essentially something that can glide a bit easier in the powder, launch a little easier on jumps, and turn a bit quicker in the trees/bumps- while still giving me insane speed and stability.

I had initially been eyeing the new Raptor X 169, as I think it would alleviate the powder issue with the rocker-camber, but from what I've been reading I've been a bit concerned about how maneuverable it will be. I'd consider something else in the NS lineup, but from a speed perspective, coming from the Titan I'd be concerned anything else might not measure up.

This led me to start looking at some other boards and came up with the Nidecker Megalight (had never heard of Nidecker before, but they look promising), the Capita Black Death (looks good, just concerned that it appears a bit shorter/narrower), GNU Billy Goat (length/width concern again), YES Big City (same sizing concern).

I'm definitely leaning towards the Nidecker, just not sure on sizing- 167 vs 176, rode a Glissade 174 for awhile without issue, just concerned about size for maneuverability in trees/bumps- I like the idea of length from a speed/stability standpoint though. My biggest concern with Nidecker, is that from what I've been reading they have some durability issues, which given my size, and coming from a bomb-proof NS is kinda scary. Can anyone comment on this?

Any additional thoughts/comments would be very appreciated, as well as any experience with any of these boards (or others I should consider).

Thanks!
Edvard_Grieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2011, 11:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Thanks for all the responses folks...for those of you that listed 'other', could you please list what board you'd choose?

Thanks
Edvard_Grieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The Raptor is a badass board. I'd go that route, plus supporting the local guys.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

RaptorX of your choices. But is look for either a 172/168w 2011 Highlife or similar sized this year. Little bit less $$ but similar dampness with i think more snap and a little more lively. The dampness in rides comes from the lighter membraine topsheet as well as the slimewalls where NS comes from the triple glass. Similar weight between the two, but the Ride is more lively on edge.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote