Gnu Park Pickle - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 04:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs up Gnu Park Pickle

Hi, I was wondering how the Park Pick performed out of the park on groomers? I would be using it for 40% park and the rest in pow and groomers. If there are other board that would suit my needs better please recommend. Thanks
df_321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2011, 09:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by df_321 View Post
Hi, I was wondering how the Park Pick performed out of the park on groomers? I would be using it for 40% park and the rest in pow and groomers. If there are other board that would suit my needs better please recommend. Thanks
The Park Pickle is an insane board an definately has a lot of out of park crossover...but...if you are only 40% park, you can likely find a deck that more closely alligns to your riding. I would rather see you go C2 and a Rider's Choice. Have you had a chance to demo either?
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

I didn't mind it too much back when I had my 2010 pickle. Its of course softer than your typical all mountain board, but for me, when I stopped fighting the board and just let it take me over the terrain (like moguls, small bumps in the snow), it was a lot easier to control.

i liked magnetraction on groomers, the asymmetrical side-cut took awhile to get used to though.

lost a bit of speed compared to my buddies boards, and the edges around the tip and tail got messed up pretty fast through the trees...not sure if mervin wraps their boards fully yet, but that was one of the biggest things that made me decide to sell it.

sorry if this wasn't too informitive, it was my first rc board so i didn't have a lot to compare it to back then
Old 11-07-2011, 10:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayin View Post
I didn't mind it too much back when I had my 2010 pickle. Its of course softer than your typical all mountain board, but for me, when I stopped fighting the board and just let it take me over the terrain (like moguls, small bumps in the snow), it was a lot easier to control.

i liked magnetraction on groomers, the asymmetrical side-cut took awhile to get used to though.

lost a bit of speed compared to my buddies boards, and the edges around the tip and tail got messed up pretty fast through the trees...not sure if mervin wraps their boards fully yet, but that was one of the biggest things that made me decide to sell it.

sorry if this wasn't too informitive, it was my first rc board so i didn't have a lot to compare it to back then
They do not wrap nose/tail and probably won't for a while. At least not thru 2012-13 products.
To the original poster, yes, the R.C. is a better all mountain board but it is also stiffer and not as fun during the 40% of time you are in the park IMO. the pickle is fine for out of the park unless you are trying to bomb runs or do a lot of blacks. It does a reasonably good job in the powder so it is a great board for what you need. Depending on your ride style, you may not need C2 - but that is totally subjective. Only you can decide.
legends6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

thanks Wired Sport, but i can't demo any boards cause I'm on holiday and then boarding in europe. I also don't want to break the bank so would last seasons TRS or rider choice be good???
Old 11-07-2011, 10:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by df_321 View Post
thanks Wired Sport, but i can't demo any boards cause I'm on holiday and then boarding in europe. I also don't want to break the bank so would last seasons TRS or rider choice be good???
Yes, last year's TRS or riders choice will be excellent.

Note on wrapped edges. Mervin makes the choice to not wrap their edges. They use their own process to bury the edge ends deeply in the board to avoid tear outs and put no wood in either tip or tail of any of their models (nothing up there to absorb water when damage occurs). This is a signature design feature of Mervin boards.

This is not only to reduce swing weight but also to make the boards more durable and easier to repair.

Like all design features, this is a trade off. With a full wrap edge you get a tiny bit of protection, but you get a difficult repair if their is impact damage (common). You also get a minor weight gain in tip/tail.

This debate has been going on since the early 90's.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

I have last seasons park pickle and love it. I ride similar to you it sounds and the rocker of the board works awesome in the deep stuff and its a killer park board. groomers it takes a little while to get used to it but in my opinon its an awesome board i would defiantly recomend it.
GrouseMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I had a 159 pickle and for my size 170lbs it can handle anything your resort has. I didnt like the asym side cut so ended up getting a 159 skate banana instead. The pickle is a bit stiffer then the nanner.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Walove, how is you banana. i am not heavy so would it be better for me? I'm 120. Wired sports, I'm only 5,4 so none of theses boards you suggested would fit. Any other options???

Last edited by df_321; 11-07-2011 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Its a fun board all over the mountain, I ride at bridger bowl mt which has a good amount of steep terrain off the ridge and I take the skate banana on all of them. At 120lbs a 154 or so would work well. If your on a budget the gnu carbon credit is a good board too.